winXP backup utility on laptop without FDD?

una

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Hello,
I have a little problem with backup utility which I couldn't solve by myself
:(

Is there any solution to make full system backup with WinXP Backup utility
on a laptop that has no floppy drive?
I tried to do it, and save a bkf file on a remote HDD, but it constantly
asking me to insert a floppy to make startup floppy...

Is that a bug in XPPro SP2, because the system came with a laptop, and for a
long time laptops doesn't have FDD drive in it...?

Thank you for any helpfull answers,
Una

You do have the option to change where to back up to.............watch for
it...its there.
I back up to a networked drive and it works just fine.Unless of course your
using the Automated System recovery wizard which expects you to make a
bootable floppy!!
peterk

the problem
"Una" <Una@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a little problem with backup utility which I couldn't solve by
> myself
> :(
>
> Is there any solution to make full system backup with WinXP Backup utility
> on a laptop that has no floppy drive?
> I tried to do it, and save a bkf file on a remote HDD, but it constantly
> asking me to insert a floppy to make startup floppy...
>
> Is that a bug in XPPro SP2, because the system came with a laptop, and for
> long time laptops doesn't have FDD drive in it...?
>

> Thank you for any helpfull answers,
> Una

una

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Thank you peterk,
seems I didn't described my problem in a good way.

I'd like to make full system backup what seems is Automated System Recovery,
so when windows crashes, I only run this file and got everything back in
normal as before crash.
I was wondering, since win comes with a laptop, and FDD is coming out of use
in most laptops, also in our office we don't have any fdd on desktop
computers... so, how could we change destination of making bootabile disc
from fdd to cdrw drive?

So ok, let him asks then insert CD to record bootable disc (cd), instead of
floppy disc? ... and then when making recovery from this backup to insert cd
bootable disc?

Or windows are just in love in FDD?
:)

Una

"peterk" wrote:

> You do have the option to change where to back up to.............watch for
> it...its there.
> I back up to a networked drive and it works just fine.Unless of course your
> using the Automated System recovery wizard which expects you to make a
> bootable floppy!!
> peterk

Malke

Una wrote:

> Thank you peterk,
> seems I didn't described my problem in a good way.
>
> I'd like to make full system backup what seems is Automated System
> Recovery, so when windows crashes, I only run this file and got
> everything back in normal as before crash.
> I was wondering, since win comes with a laptop, and FDD is coming out
> of use in most laptops, also in our office we don't have any fdd on
> desktop computers... so, how could we change destination of making
> bootabile disc from fdd to cdrw drive?
>
> So ok, let him asks then insert CD to record bootable disc (cd),
> instead of floppy disc? ... and then when making recovery from this
> backup to insert cd bootable disc?

Use a third-party imaging program like Acronis True Image. Buy a usb
external hard drive on which to store the backup images. True Image
will also allow you to create a bootable cd so you can create/restore
images, removing the need for a floppy entirely.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com