Xero

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hello folks, I have a problem over here.
I got a screwed up Q9300. The problem is with his temp and resource usage.
Its seems to be that core 3 & 4 are the problem.

Problem 1:
core 1 - 45C degree on idle.
core 2 - 47C degree on idle.
core 3 - 55C degree on idle.
core 4 - 35C degree on idle.

crushed up doesnt it? as I know it, the temp must be balanced, and almost the same in all of the cores.
(variation of 1C-2C degree.. no more)

Problem 2:
When I open MY COMPUTER, and/or try to acess my hard drive volumes, its seems that cores 3&4 are getting crazy.
PLUS the computer is insanly stuck! the mouse jumps like its beeing chased by a cat and its very noisy.
Core 3 is on small usage, core 4 is on maximum usage and cores 1 and 2 are idle.

Total CPU usage while My Computer folder is open: 25%-28%.
WIERDO :ouch:

My old C2D is 8% cpu usage while chatting in MSN and IE7 open, and scanning nod32.

Problem 3:
My dealer claims that the computer seems to be okey, after 4 weeks of testing. (3 weeks 6 days on standing and picking up dust in the storage, plus 10 minutes of rummage in my private files and 5 minutes to call me back and say everything is fine)

ofcourse they claim that they cannot change a 100% working device.
So here I got 2 options:
1. PROOVE that that it is curropeted by showing tham an OFFICIAL REVIEW that prooves that big defferce between core temps are an unequivocal that it is damaged, and so they will have to change it.

DELETED

My mobo is: Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 (yuck!)
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston DDRII 800Mhz
GPU: LeadTek PX8600GT 256MB GDDR3
PSU: HEC ZEPHYER 650W

thx!

P.S.
If someone could give me an official review about quads which shows that my current temp is abnormal and earns a ticket to be swapt to a working cpu - Its even better then burning stuff in my living room.

Xero

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Forgot to mention - I got 3 hard drives inside, I pulled out 2, one of tham is fully formated.

ITS CANNOT BE THE PROBLEM.

Priv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
lol, what an awkward request, maybe put it in an oven as it does not catch fire there and the bios will not show any voltage changes. But still, try reseating the heatsink or whatever before you destroy your cpu. Use that burning only as last resort :p.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
1) It is false that temp should be balanced, each core is handling a different process and you simply have something running on the system that causes some cores to be used more than others (quite possible even if system "seems" to be sitting idle).

2) It's not unusual for core spikes when you do something, but in this case maybe you have a bad data cable, bad cable connection to mobo or drive, or failing drive. Check Event Viewer and run HDD manufacturer diagnostics. Unplug and replug cable at both ends and try a different cable.

3) Make a note of how to very clearly replicate the problem you are seeing so they can duplicate it. Do not commit fraud by burning your processor and it is not likely the processor is even the problem.

If all else fails, do a clean operating system installation, update with first service pack, but install nothing else yet (except minimal drivers like chipset, video (not mouse/audio/etc!) and see if you can replicate the problem still and by problem I mean the mouse stuttering, because CPU temps are not indicating a problem with CPU. Run current version of Prime95, if it passes that the CPU is ok, if it overheats to cause errors then you need to look at improving cooling.

If you want a quick way to test whether it's an OS environment fault instead of reinstalling the OS, boot to a Linux Live CD and see if you still get the stuttering.

If you still insist it must be CPU, buy a compatible low-end processor from someplace with a no-hassle return policy, then you can swap in new CPU and see if problem went away - problem being system stuttering/etc, ignore the temperature unless it is overheating (past 70C at stock speed, no oc).

What you said about hard drives "cannot be the problem" is not necessarily correct. There could easily be one still causing a problem or a bad cable, even optical drive fouling up drive controller.

Do the Prime95 test, either CPU works or it errors, a difference in temperature does not indicate any symptom tied to a bad CPU.