jonesy1805

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I might be wrong (it has happened before), but it seems my CPU is overheating. When running Speedfan the CPU temp rises to appox 59 degrees celcius. At this stage my PC locks up and there is a loud continous noise.

I have removed alot of the dust from around the CPU fan, this did seem to bring the temps down a bit, but it recently crashed again.

Firstly am i right about this being the problem??

Secondly what can I do about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My PC is a little on the old side now....

Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3000 MHz
2048 MB (4 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Radeon X1950 Pro

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
If your up to the task, the thermal compound might have hardened up and is not conducting heat as it should. Carefully remove the heat sink and remove the old thermal compound with rubbing alcohol, pref 91%, from the cpu and heat sink. Apply new compound and reinstall. If you've never removed a heat sink before, be careful.

The continuous beep is probably the MB overheat alarm.

titowinky

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hey Guys,

I hope you can help me ... I have almost the problem, just worse. I have assembled a desktop but can't use it comfortably because of over heating. It takes me more than a minute just to open My Computer, I can't right click on D:drive, opening other applications takes eternity but it has not hang-up yet.
When I boot it, the temperature was already 59C and after using it for 30 minutes the temperature shoots up to 70C. I have replaced the stock heat sink with scythe mini ninja and installed exhaust fan but it still heats up. What do you advice guys? Thanks in advance.

motherboard = ASUS P5B
processor = 2.4GHz core2 duo
memory = 2x1GHz DDR2 800Mhz
video card = Radeon X1950

Mondoman

Splendid
tit: rather than hijacking someone else's thread and possibly confusing posters, why don't you start a new thread, and list *all* the model numbers of your system components, including things like the RAM, video card, power supply, CPU cooler, case, any fans, etc.

Mondoman

Splendid
I understand, but 99% of the time, similar general symptoms have different causes, so it's best to start a new thread unless you have additional evidence that you are dealing with *exactly* the same problem.