• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Never assume it's a conspiracy when simple incompetence can explain it.

OK, I don't know who said that, and I probably didn't quote it perfectly, but you get the idea. My feeling is that somebody in Asus marketing was stupid and messed up. I don't think they actually meant to lie. It's just too easy to get caught, what with so many competitors and independent reviewers and even customers double-checking those claims.

Hmmm, I wonder. Do they have free beer on Fridays at Asus? Maybe the marketing guys had a bit too much while writing the brochure. :)

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's more than a matter of false advertising. The engineers must have know reducing voltage will introduce stability problems, there's no way they won't. But marketing can't possibly admit that EPU may destabilize your system. They were given a bad piece of hardware and had no choice but to dress it up as much as possible. You shouldn't blame it on them. :p

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
1. Did anyone take those ASUS numbers seriously?
The numbers they post on marketing brochures/box covers are so silly sometimes it's scary. It's like the sales people from Dilbert comics. They have no brain but make all the important decisions. WTH? I read a review of the P5K Pro I think were the reviewer said something like : "The box is nice. There's a graph on the front side but it's random numbers over a meaningless base. Who knows how they got those numbers.".

2. Who buys boards for EPU/DES anyway?
It saves you what? $50 a year? The first thing I'd do with an EPU/DES board was to turn those features off and switch to manual voltage control.
Every overclocker would likely do the same.

3. Since all this was reported by independant sources before Gigabyte had their "rant" it's likely true. Another corporate giant treading over the little unknowing people. Creative, Intel, M$ why should ASUS be different? :D

@avem
Your quote is aka Hanlon's razor ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
however in this situation Clark's law might be a better fit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark's_Law

ASUS did loose some respect from me but not enough to stop buying from them. Since I do OC it was quite pointless to care about DES,etc. I think this might have effected ppl. who were looking to "green" computing and possibly HTPC builders who were looking for cool running boards.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^I don't think it's much worse than the "CrashFree BIOS" debacle. I never had the chance to test it myself but from what I've read it has a horrible success rate. :D

I'm still likely going to buy a RAMPAGE for my next build.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Rofl! Crash-Free bios... Now, that's a white lie if I ever heard one... :na:

Don't know about you guys but I did have quite good success with BIOS corruption problems being solved through CrashFree. Im not saying that it will work all the time, but so far it has worked ~10-20 times for me when I was doing BIOS moddig work.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
I wonder why they mixed the "yet to come" P5Q into this. It was never part of the problem in the first place. I guess they don't have anything else to show. Pathetic. :)
Legal action against a (respected?) reviewer will surely have a negative impact on their public image.
"Begun teh my-board-has-a-better-power-savings-percentage war has." - Yoda

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Didn't a game reviewer get fired from GameSpot or something like that for posting a review of a highly hyped game saying it was a PoS? The public response reminds me of Creative's forums 2 months ago. ;)
I guess ASUS is next on the "all your legos belong to me" list.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

As for GameSpot, is it just me, or their reviews are shallow and generally bad? Lol, figures. :na: