Sign in with
Your question

Bios did not detect new SATA HD

Last response: in Storage
May 8, 2009 11:54:57 PM

I have an ECS P800-M2 board ver 1.1 bios never been updated since.

Got a new 500 G Seagate Barracuda HD 7200 RPM.

After plugging in the SATA cable on both ends as well as the SATA HD's power cable, I then powered on my pc. Enabled onboard SATA in the bios. After rebooting PC, Bios still cannot be detected. Tried swapping both ends of the cable already however Bios still cannot detect the HD.

Oh and by the way, I have an IDE HD still plugged in. Do I have to disable IDE capabilty in BIOS in order for me to use the onboard SATA?

Does anyone here got any clue on how am I able to use the onboard SATA port..

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

More about : bios detect sata

a c 362 G Storage
May 11, 2009 6:48:41 PM

On the same BIOS Setup screen where you Enabled the SATA controller, check that the next item, "SATA Mode" is set to "IDE". This tells the mobo to take control of the SATA device and use it to Emulate an IDE device. Windows only knows how to use IDE devices directly. So either you let the BIOS pretend your new drive is IDE to make Windows happy, or you have to load SATA drivers into Windows so the OS can deal with it in its native mode.

Now, clarify what you mean when you say, "Bios still cannot detect the HD." On p. 28 of your mobo manual it shows the "Standard CMOS Features" screen of your BIOS. I would expect the new disk to show here on the "IDE Channel 2 Master" line. (Your machine has 2 IDE Channels, 0 and 1, each with Master and a Slave possible. Then it has 2 SATA Channels which it appears to label as "IDE Channel 2 Master" and another for Channel 3.) Does this screen actually fail to show your new drive? If the drive does show up here, but simply fails to show up in Windows' My Computer, then you do not have a BIOS problem.

If the BIOS shows the disk but Windows does not, the problem is that any new blank disk needs a two-step preparation involving Partitioning and Formatting before Windows can use it. If that is your case, post your answer here along with a note about what OS you have installed. By that I mean both which Windows (2000, XP, VISTA, etc.) and what update or Service Pack is included. Then we can advise what to do.
!