Just some approval.

My first post but I read here often to learn. Lots of smart people here, for the most part. I just want some to read over this and give me the ok or what you would change so I feel better when I hit the order button. Also, I want to run 64 bit Vista. I will probably get the home premium edition. I cant seem to find a retail version in 64 bit. Do I have to order the version I find and upgrade with the DVD microsoft sends for $10 off their website? If you find it please post the link. All I can find is OEM versions.

I didnt post a HDD and maybe a few other things. Those I can pick but just kinda looking at 64 bit Vista and compatabilty between the hardware. Yes, before someone ask, I picked these items from reading the forums and putting it together. I didnt just post first but somehow I still feel a bit reluctant to hit the button to order it without some type of approval. Thanks in advance.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

PC Power & Cooling S610EPS EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply - Retail
12 answers Last reply
More about just approval
  1. Wow, looks like you did your research! Nice job, I honestly wouldnt change a thing about it!

As for the OS, if you cant find a retail version online, just go to your local BestBuy or Staples. They should have it there.
  2. The main reasons for choosing the X38 would be to use Crossfire or to get PCI-e 2.0 slots. You're getting an nVidia card and a 610W PSU, which tells me you're not going to be going Crossfire. Also, video cards nowadays don't even use up all the bandwidth available in PCI-e 1.1 so there's no point in paying more for 2.0 at this point. I would save yourself 100 bucks and go with a P35 mobo.

Everything else looks great, although some might recommend you to replace the Freezer 7 Pro with a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 for better performance at $10 more.
  3. I already did. Forgot to tell you, nice list, good luck with the build.
  4. ^ Haha yeah, I had my reply window open for a few minutes and you replied before I could finish. :lol:
  5. Not a bad list at all.

Another vote for the Xigmatek.

I would add a WD7500AAKS disk and a SH-S203N DVD.

Oushi is right about the Crossfire thing. If you're planning to get a large monitor (24" or more) in the near future then get yourself the X38 mobo but combine it with a HD 3870X2 or at least a HD 3870 (it has to be ATI for Crossfire), and get a Silencer 750W Crossfire Edition. That way you can do Crossfire later. If that's not going to happen, you might as well downgrade to P35 (P5K, GA-P35-DS3R, aBit IP35 pro, etc.).
  6. The crossfire thing is not gonna happen. I have just never seen the good in investing in 2 graphics cards when everything I have ever done..well, I have done it with one. I guess with that not being on my mind I totally missed it on the mother board. I had decided on P35 at the beginning but changed to X38 for some reason.

I run an ATI card now. The last 2 I have had was ATI. No real reason to go back to NVIDIA. I guess since most dont recommend it over the 8800 series I was assuming that NVIDIA was the better option right now. Does the ATI cards perform as good for around the same price as the 8800GTS? I will probably still use a 22" monitor.

Anyway, I guess we could discuss all day. I edited in a few changes up top. What you think?
  7. Just nit picking here, but this is what I'd change:

RAM - $103 - $25 MIR = $78!! CAS 4 speed, which will help you out later "WHEN" you decide to OC your q6600.
    Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220269

Mobo - $130 shipped! Has about everthing under the sun and is fairly cheap.
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086

PSU - $85 - $20 MIR = $65!!! Has 41A on the 12V rails and has a 5 yr. warranty too!! Since you appear to be going with a single GPU solution (which I totally agree with) you can get this PSU and still have plenty of room for upgrades in the future. The added bonus is that you'll save ~$55 over the PCP&C 610 PSU, which is a good PSU also.
    Corsair VX 550W ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-550VX
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-550w-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/205852646.html

And with all of these savings, you could upgrade to a 3870x2, if you wanted to. Or you could take the savings and put into other parts or other things!!
  8. Looks better now.
    Good luck, I think that should do it!
  9. Go with the board lunyone has suggested, the 'c' boards are DDR2/DDR3 boards, will do either ram but not both at the same time.
  10. I am still looking around. Lets just say I wanted an SLI board for a few months down the road? What are my options? Thanks. Awesome advice so far.
  11. Well since you are goin Quad core, it would be better if you went with a 780i chipset instead of say the 680i. I have not had experiance with SLi boards, but hear that are not nearly as good at overclocking a quad compared to a p35. Plus a good 780i board will run you around 250. Try this one, its 750i, wich i dont know much about, but its quad ready and is in your price range.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product