Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 3870 X2 but which brand like,msi,asus,powercolour etc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2008 4:54:07 PM

okay after lot of discussion i think i will buy ati
ATI Radeon™ HD 3870 X2 .but which brand like,msi,asus,powercolor ,sapphire,gecube.etc.
April 1, 2008 5:10:35 PM

I'd honestly get the one with the best package (that's actually what I did). A lot of people like sapphire for ATI cards, though. Just don't get a brand you've never heard of.
April 1, 2008 5:18:42 PM

I'd go for whatever happens to be the least expensive unless one of them includes something in th package you want or has a better warranty then one of the others.
Related resources
April 1, 2008 5:23:54 PM

Visiontek has an awesome BIOS tha allows me to get 880 core and 970 on the memory. The cards are also great.

I have also sent my BIOS files to a few other guys with vapochillers who are benching 28k in 3dmark06 and they have also had good results with their various 3870x2 makes.

Stay away from Gecube!!!!! they suck!

ASUS makes a decent card and i heard the BIOS is not all that bad either. They unfortunately have that stupid sticker on their card though, but if the card works good some will not care about that.

I just like being able to see into the cooler so I know when there is too much dust.
April 1, 2008 5:28:44 PM

My one problem with my ASUS is that fan doesn't speed up atuomatically when playing games (it does make it much quieter), so I'm forced to use rivatuner to make sure the card stays cool.
April 2, 2008 1:51:07 PM

I've never had issues with Sapphire cards.

Quote:
My one problem with my ASUS is that fan doesn't speed up atuomatically when playing games (it does make it much quieter), so I'm forced to use rivatuner to make sure the card stays cool.

I have this issues too; I think it's a driver issue and not a manufacturer problem. Riva tuner works fine for fixed-speed use.
April 2, 2008 4:04:43 PM

I have the same issue, I did call ati and they said that they dont worry about gpu temps intell around 110-120c so i wonder if the fan ramps up or not?. Also has anyone got rivatuner to work on auto for fan control as i have only got it to work on fix fan only. P.S. because in my left handed thinking 110-120c is to hot for me:) 
April 2, 2008 4:10:48 PM

visiontek's bios? where is that? im interested as i have a visiontek 3870x2 as well. I can push the memory OC to 955 (max catalyst allows) but the GPU can only go to 855mhz. It becomes unstable at 860mhz. and my card runs super cool since i have 2 120mm fans blowing air directly at it.
April 3, 2008 1:48:29 AM

Riva Tuner 2.08 is what I have and the auto fan speed doesn't work correctly; it usually just stays at 34%. I have it set to fixed at 40%. I just finished a 3dmark06 run @860/955 with the fan speed at 40% and my max temp was 80 degrees. I'll try higher core soon, maybe tonight. I think you can use RivaTuner to get the core and memory higher than the CCC will allow, but I heard you lose the powerplay feature.

I'm using cat 8.3 btw.

!