Assemble laptop/notebook

satimis

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hi folks,

Has any folk successfully assembled a laptop from parts? Just came across following website on Internet browsing;

http://pchub.com/uph/

They are selling laptop components.

I built many workstation and server w/o problem. But never built a laptop before. As curiosity I start this posting.

My main interest on building laptop is not solely for saving hardware cost but avoiding paying licence fee to MicroSoft which to me is only a waste. All laptops available on market are preloaded with Windows. I cease running Windows for >8 years. That means the buyer of the laptop must pay licence fee to MS as compulsory. This is extremely unjust. User of laptop is at liberty to select his/her own OS NOT being compelled running MS' prodcuts and/or paying licence fee to MS as forfeiture.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

satimis

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hi closed_deal,

Thanks for your advice.

The thread is a little bid out dated.

Besides 15.4" screen is not convenient for a mobile notebook. What I prefer is <12".

Reading the thread I'm not clear whether ASUS sell that laptop as finish product with Windows preloaded. Customers are allowed to upgrade it themselves. In such arrangement ASUS are still forcing their customers to buy MS licence.

B.R.
satimis

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Yes and no. I've rebuilt a couple of dell laptops from parts off ebay. But that was using factory refurbished, or working parts of other laptops of the same model.

satimis

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hi folks,

I found my solution.

We can build our own laptop/notebook. Searching "barebone laptop" on google you'll find many suppliers there. The price is a little bid cheaper.

Cost saving in NOT my major concern. What I dispute is the laptops/notebooks available on computer shops all coming with MS Vista preloaded. They force me running Windows paying licence for a product which I already cease using for >8 years.

We can buy the entire laptop/notebook w/o the operating system. Alternatively we can buy the pieces of the laptop and fill in the blanks with other computer components which we can buy elsewhere. Similar to building desktop computer.

Cheer
satimis

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Well, the only real problem with most laptops and building from scratch is, unlike PC's where you have a standardized form factor ATX, uATX, BTX, not most OEM's don't use a set or user friendly form factor.

satimis

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hi runswindows95 and mathos,

Thanks for your advice.

I can accept a laptop w/o OS and install the latter myself. I'm running Linux and Unix (OpenBSD/FreeBSD) here. I'm fully aware of the driver problem. I ceased running Windows >8 years ago. I encountered many driver problems since then solving them one by one. nVidia chipsets have better support on Linux/Unix driver.

I found vendors supplying laptops w/o OS deducting Vista licence fee. I don't need a laptop urgently. I have desktop workstations and servers around me here. I'll investigate the market a while before finalizing my decision. On computer market the latter you buy a computer the less money you'll pay. I only need a simple but fast laptop for trip. The advantage on build your own PC is you can select your own config on hardware.

Thanks

B.R.
satimis

satimis

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hi folks,

Following link
http://www.directron.com/laptopdiy.html
DIY Laptop/ Notebook Computer - Do It Yourself Notebook, Picture Tutorial

showing steps in building a laptop from parts with photo illustration.

The site also provides information on shopping the parts for its building.
laptop barebone
laptop CPU
laptop memory
laptop hard drive

Enjoy it.

If there is any furthur discovery please post here. So other folks can be benefitted. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

nirvana21

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
If you want a laptop that runs linux without the hassle of drivers try system76.com. They have a few laptops and they vary in power unlike dell's small linux line.