Sign in with
Your question

XP Install on SATA Drives.

Last response: in Windows XP
August 3, 2010 4:53:21 AM

Hello
I have a Acer Aspire AM5640-E5520A Intel Pentium 2 QUAD, 2.4GHz with a MCP73PV motherboard and SATA drive.
When I try to install XP (which I like better than Vista) the set up acts ok ,loading files, until it gets to "setup is starting windows"..Then I get the BSOD and a message saying
STOP:0x0000007b
I have tried to change the bios setting for the HD to IDE but I do not find anything about storage or AHCI. All i see is a place to change raid configuration. Raid is disabled. But i have tried it with raid being enabled.
I am so lost. The XP dvd's I am using are legal.
Thanks in advance

More about : install sata drives

August 3, 2010 6:07:11 AM

Acer's BIOS may not give you the option to change from AHCI to IDE... which isn't an uncommon occurance with OEMs. If you're dead-set against Vista (it really isn't that bad)... then you could always switch to 7.

Another option is to have a floppy ready with the proper XP drivers for your SATA controller... provided you can find them. If you can find them, then you could also slipstream them into the Windows install using nLite.
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:50:20 PM

Zoron said:
Acer's BIOS may not give you the option to change from AHCI to IDE... which isn't an uncommon occurance with OEMs. If you're dead-set against Vista (it really isn't that bad)... then you could always switch to 7.

Another option is to have a floppy ready with the proper XP drivers for your SATA controller... provided you can find them. If you can find them, then you could also slipstream them into the Windows install using nLite.

Thank you for your responce problem is that I don't have a floppy.But thank you anyway
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:38:16 AM

You can pick up a USB floppy or even an internal floppy quite cheaply nowadays... problem is that floppy disks seem to be extremely unreliable. As I said though... you can download the drivers and slipstream them into your Windows XP installation without the need for a floppy drive. nLite is your friend in that regard.
m
l
!