G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR2 1000 Memtest errors after RMA?

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
First set of these I got, Memtest86 spit out a bunch of errors during second test. RMA'd back to Newegg for refund, ordered new ones, tested again, same errors. Even tried testing at stock speed without overclock and tested each stick invividually. Still got mucho errors on second test. However system seems to be running fine with games and Prime95 even overclocked to 3.8Ghz w/ e8400 and P35-DS3L, other than not being able to power back up today after a system suspend and Bios reverted some settings.

Do I just have really bad luck and got 2 bad sets? I really don't know if I should RMA again or just RMA through G.Skill and go for different brand.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I have had no problems with any of the GSkill memory that I own, and I have quits a few sticks.
I run them at the JDEC specs and with the proper voltages without issue.
I have one set that needs 2.1v to achieve their CL4.4.4.12 timings at DDR2 6400.
I fact I have them a bit overclocked with no trouble at all.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
LOL with a screen name of bobbknight I hope you don't throw a chair at your computer if you ever do have a problem with it.

Don't mean to offend, its just from living in an area of a big ten school and knowing Bobby's temper. He was a great coach though.

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
Is it possible that Memtest is showing errors when there really aren't any? I mean same errors at same exact test after RMA......whut is goin on

memtest doesn't necessarily mean your RAM is "Bad"... Could mean your setup is incorrect. Most memory and motherboard makers still test with 2 DIMMD, and 4 are (electrically) harder to drive. So the standard settings may nor may not work.

(1) Manually set your timings in the Bios
(2) Ensure the command rate is 2T
(3) ==>> Ensure tREF is set to 54 or higher <<==

See does that work. If not:

(4) Set your voltages to at or near max recommended (you can turn them down later if needed)

If no Joy:

(5) Bump the voltage to your FSB a notch. Don't be afraid to go two if one doesn't work.

If that *still* doesnt' work (since you post and can use the computer now, I suspect the errors will end around step 3 or 4)

(6) Start to loosen the timings