Sign in with
Your question

Crappy ASUS?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 14, 2008 11:55:08 PM

I was wondering if the claim that ASUS' caps are crap is true,

I DO NOT WANT YOUR OPINION! as I do not want this to become a dumb flame war

I want real results/test/benchmarks/reviews basicly something professinal and unbiased

does someone know where I could find that?

More about : crappy asus

May 15, 2008 12:57:52 AM

*bump*
May 15, 2008 1:09:31 AM

No. I seriously doubt someone would build a PC for the sole intent of letting it run until the motherboard's caps pop like party balloons(however long this might take).
Related resources
May 15, 2008 1:22:01 AM

Check toms hardware, they just went to a gigabyte convention that was a tell all against there major competitor...Asus.
May 15, 2008 1:26:00 AM

blacksci said:
Check toms hardware, they just went to a gigabyte convention that was a tell all against there major competitor...Asus.

I kinda made this thread for that reason, it is gigabyte, their biggest competitor... not a very big chance of that info being dead on...

As I stated above I want unbiased, though some people have told me that it's (the crappy asus claim) is a load of crap and worse case the comp will last 3 years running for over 12 hours a day, I think I'm safe.
May 15, 2008 1:45:24 AM

jonyb222 said:
I kinda made this thread for that reason, it is gigabyte, their biggest competitor... not a very big chance of that info being dead on...

As I stated above I want unbiased, though some people have told me that it's (the crappy asus claim) is a load of crap and worse case the comp will last 3 years running for over 12 hours a day, I think I'm safe.

The part about EPU is precisely dead on. It's been tested and confirmed by third party long before the Gigabyte demo, down to the stability problems caused by EPU.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1348/4/gigabyte_des_a...

The part about Asus using cheaper non-Japanese made caps to save cost have also been confirmed. The question is if those Malaysian caps are actually inferior. Just because something is cheaper doesn't automatically mean it's bad. And yeah, no one is going to run it for years and see which one breaks down first. Besides, they're not going to burn out before your board is obsolete anyway. :p 
May 15, 2008 1:58:23 AM

ryanthesav said:
haha

umm... what's so funny?

dagger said:
The part about EPU is precisely dead on. It's been tested and confirmed by third party long before the Gigabyte demo, down to the stability problems caused by EPU.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1348/4/gigabyte_des_a...

The part about Asus using cheaper non-Japanese made caps to save cost have also been confirmed. The question is if those Malaysian caps are actually inferior. Just because something is cheaper doesn't automatically mean it's bad. And yeah, no one is going to run it for years and see which one breaks down first. Besides, they're not going to burn out before your board is obsolete anyway. :p 

I wasn't really worried about the EPU as they're still working on it (I'm not getting an ASUS board for a while and the EPU is sure to change/improve thouhg the caps might no do so as quickly. But as you said Gig only said the caps weren't japanese.
May 15, 2008 2:05:20 AM

If you're so concerned then why not just get a Evga, XFX, Gigabyte, or MSI, they are all near the same (except for their warrantys)
May 15, 2008 2:17:32 AM

gamecrazychris said:
If you're so concerned then why not just get a Evga, XFX, Gigabyte, or MSI, they are all near the same (except for their warrantys)

a very long process of elimination that took me about a week to complete, ending up with the 2 top board (Asus and Gig at the same price) and a few others...

I may end up making my choice when this is over (between a potential liar (Gig) and a potential cheapstake (ASUS))

anyway so I'll probly have to wait a while to see how big of a quality diff ASUS' caps are?
May 15, 2008 2:26:39 AM

Who knows, I went with gig because when i started researching asus i was amazed at the amount of problems people were having with the boards, and the crappy customer service they recieved. I wanted something as close to plug and play as i could get. Asus used to be the top dog, but from what i have seen, and even now all the posts ive read on the message boards im still leery of them.
May 15, 2008 2:39:05 AM

Asus was never any different than it is now.
The problems people are having with asus now are the same thing their customers have had to deal with for years.

They make good boards(right now more at the high end only). When they work, they are good. But sometimes they don't which makes people realize their customer service is a joke.
May 15, 2008 2:51:12 AM

jonyb222 said:
a very long process of elimination that took me about a week to complete, ending up with the 2 top board (Asus and Gig at the same price) and a few others...

I may end up making my choice when this is over (between a potential liar (Gig) and a potential cheapstake (ASUS))

anyway so I'll probly have to wait a while to see how big of a quality diff ASUS' caps are?

Asus and Gigabyte are hardly at the same price level. A x48 board from Asus cost $300, Gigabyte version cost $240. There's a big difference. The major reason (the only one, really) I ended up with a Gigabyte board is it's so much cheaper.

Gigabyte, as things stands now, cannot possibly be proven liars. So no, it's not "potential liar." What they said about EPU was proven by third party testers. The non-Japanese made caps are also beyond doubt. It's only their assertion that Asus's Malasian made caps are inferior than Japanese ones. Since no one tested for that long, it will remain a question, which means there's no way Gigabyte can be proven a liar, since 90% of their claims have been proven to be facts, and the remaining 10% cannot be proven either way. :sarcastic: 

Asus is also already proven to be cheapstake. They use the cheaper capacitors that, even though not necessarily bad, are still cheaper, which, by defination, makes Asus cheapstakes. :na: 
The only question is if Asus being cheapstakes will harm consumers or not. If the cheap caps are just as good as expensive ones, it won't.
May 15, 2008 3:00:50 AM

lol...."cheapstakes"......it's cheapskates......
May 15, 2008 3:03:32 AM

hypocrisyforever said:
lol...."cheapstakes"......it's cheapskates......

We get our stakes cheap. :sol: 
May 15, 2008 3:08:55 AM

Quote:
Asus and Gigabyte are hardly at the same price level. A x48 board from Asus cost $300, Gigabyte version cost $240. There's a big difference. The major reason (the only one, really) I ended up with a Gigabyte board is it's so much cheaper.

The board you're talking about doesn't have enough onboard usb for my needs (the board from Gig I was refering at costs 298$ or 1$ cheaper than ASUS at the moment)
Also cuz I really want to go overboard when I get my mobo

Quote:

Gigabyte, as things stands now, cannot possibly be proven liars. So no, it's not "potential liar." What they said about EPU was proven by third party testers.

As I've already stated once or twice I am not interrested in the EPU

Quote:

The non-Japanese made caps are also beyond doubt. It's only their assertion that Asus's Malasian made caps are inferior than Japanese ones. Since no one tested for that long, it will remain a question, which means there's no way Gigabyte can be proven a liar, since 90% of their claims have been proven to be facts, and the remaining 10% cannot be proven either way. :sarcastic: 

I meant liars as the insinuation that the non Japanese caps make a difference (which is yet to be proven as you've said)

Quote:

Asus is also already proven to be cheapstake. They use the cheaper capacitors that, even though not necessarily bad, are still cheaper, which, by defination, makes Asus cheapstakes. :na: 
The only question is if Asus being cheapstakes will harm consumers or not. If the cheap caps are just as good as expensive ones, it won't.

I meant cheapskate as in cutting quality while trying to cut price. aka inferior products at same profit margin (which is yet to be proven as you've said)

I hope that clears up some misconceptions :D 

May 15, 2008 3:09:14 AM

cheapsKaTes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >_<
May 15, 2008 3:09:31 AM

personally i have not come across a good motherboard , they all seem to have faults in some way or another

i have had 2x X38DQ6 mobos die on me within a few weeks of having bought them , all that i did was overclock my q6600 to 3ghz (no voltage increase)which i had done before on the boards and they just stopped working no post nothing (same thing happen to a friend of mine at a lan when he got a brand new p35ds4 he overclocked his brand new e8400 to 3.6ghz with no voltage increase)

but i have also had loads of problems with asus boards as well
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 148 V Motherboard
May 15, 2008 3:19:44 AM

I have sent a -DS2R mATX off for RMA repair/replacement (not back yet). It croaked unexpectedly. The only voltage changes from stock was 2.2v on some RAM. Highest O/C was merely to 2.8GHz to get 1:1 on the RAM.
May 15, 2008 3:49:34 AM

Boards are a crap shoot, no one gaurntees it will work out of the box, i guess the only question is, which one can you get the cheapest, and who will return the rma the fastest, thank god mine worked, or i would be bald (oh wait i already shave my head) anyhow.... go with what works for you.
May 15, 2008 4:00:26 AM

Honestly i myself have used ASUS mobos since i started building my own computers. Even though i've never used gigabyte before, i can say that Asus is nearly just as good. I mean even IF those caps weren't japanese and were malaysian and inferior, it not really that much worse then gigabyte ones. If they really are cheap and crappy caps, how can Asus possibly make such good mobos? EPU might be software based but its still saving energy one way or another. People might say it uses more power but think again, Asus boards always have a default OC of a few percent. And its not true that only the high end boards are good, my P5K definitely does the job for lower budget PCs. I might not be able to OC as high as $250 + boards but considering the price, I think its pretty good. In my point of view, this just shows Asus's mobo engineering is excellent, aheadmany other mobo manufactures and nearly on par with Gigabyte with "cheaper" caps and possibly even other stuff. And IMO, Gigabyte just used this to lower Asus sales so they could gain more market shares with their little discovery. I might of been shocked when i read the article but i am still gonna buy Asus boards for my next build and for my friend's build. In my mind, Asus is still #1.
May 15, 2008 4:34:26 AM

Overall, through the last ten years of builds, I've had good luck with ASUS. There was only one model, an A8N32 SLI Deluxe that gave me fits, but after a couple boards, ASUS made a new revision and that board is still going strong. I've had MSI boards bite the dust and a Gigabyte board eat it. s far as the article goes, I think Gigabyte is trying to make a lot of noise over nothing. So the EPU is software based instead of hardware, does it work, or doesn't it work? That should be the real question. As for the caps, so what if they aren't Japanese. I could care less if they were made in Malaysia, China, Philippines, or wherever. Again, the only question i have is if they work or not. Besides that, if they burn out in five years instead of six years or whatever, it doesn't matter much. I rarely keep a board longer than three years anyway. Tech changes, and I move on with new stuff.
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2008 5:34:12 AM

I agree with Sailer. Who really keeps a mobo longer than 3 years anyway? My last Asus mobo died after 3 years, and I replaced it with another Asus. Will it last longer than 3 years? Who cares? The socket will be obsolete by 2009 anyway.
May 15, 2008 5:41:55 AM

Here's NOT my opinion. You asked for it...
May 15, 2008 6:31:03 AM

but didnt asus and gigabyte merge at one point i was so surprised to see that article cause i was under the impression that they were now 1 company
May 15, 2008 7:32:34 AM

is there a way to disable the EPU?
May 15, 2008 8:44:32 AM

My E6600 is made in Malaysia, it must be bad! No seriously, it is...

@ryanthesav: Have you ever posted anything that wasn't just intended to boost post count?
May 15, 2008 9:21:57 AM

evilshuriken said:
Asus was never any different than it is now.
The problems people are having with asus now are the same thing their customers have had to deal with for years.

They make good boards(right now more at the high end only). When they work, they are good. But sometimes they don't which makes people realize their customer service is a joke.

I know you weren't looking for opinions, so I'll give you mine. :lol:  I've been using Asus boards for a long time. I've always loved their quality, reliability, and in the past 4 years (for me) their overclockability. Capacitors not made in Japan? Uh, so what. They could be made on Neptune as long as they continue to be reliable. The article said that Asus' EPU offered like 58.x% energy savings (or something like that) while Asus markets it at ~80+%? That's a no-no but I'm not buying 10s of 20s of these boards to run simultaneously so that'd not be a consideration for me and 50% energy savings still sounds good to me so I don't know why Asus feels they have to inflate the number...shame on them if they've lied...I still love 'em for their products.

Japanese women are beautiful. Yes. Japanese products are neat and innovative. Yes. That doesn't mean everything has to be made in Japan.
May 15, 2008 10:19:33 AM

runswindows95 said:
I agree with Sailer. Who really keeps a mobo longer than 3 years anyway? My last Asus mobo died after 3 years, and I replaced it with another Asus. Will it last longer than 3 years? Who cares? The socket will be obsolete by 2009 anyway.

Lot's of people do, my chaintech still works...

...just because you're all tech addicted, A.D.D.'d caffeine junkies, does not mean that the stuff no longer continues to work after 3 years...Hell I used to play COH on my 2800 w 7600gs just fine...although SUPCOM DID force me to upgrade...lol ;) 

May 15, 2008 12:20:19 PM

sailer said:
Overall, through the last ten years of builds, I've had good luck with ASUS. There was only one model, an A8N32 SLI Deluxe that gave me fits, but after a couple boards, ASUS made a new revision and that board is still going strong. I've had MSI boards bite the dust and a Gigabyte board eat it. s far as the article goes, I think Gigabyte is trying to make a lot of noise over nothing. So the EPU is software based instead of hardware, does it work, or doesn't it work? That should be the real question. As for the caps, so what if they aren't Japanese. I could care less if they were made in Malaysia, China, Philippines, or wherever. Again, the only question i have is if they work or not. Besides that, if they burn out in five years instead of six years or whatever, it doesn't matter much. I rarely keep a board longer than three years anyway. Tech changes, and I move on with new stuff.

Actually, the software based EPU doesn't work, as it undervolts and cause stability/crashing problems. So the "real question" you're refering to is already answered, if you look at independent reviews, or Gigabyte's rant. Their results match. Still, most people don't care for power savings anyway.
May 15, 2008 12:58:10 PM

dagger said:
We get our stakes cheap. :sol: 

vampire hunting for the homeless!!
May 15, 2008 1:16:54 PM

I owned an Asus P5K and have no problem so far..Very stable..However mine previous 2 x Asus P4P800 both crap out around 3 years..That's fine because it gave me an excuse to upgrade from 478 to 775..

My next board will be an Asus with ExpressGate..which Gigabyte don't have!!! I bet Gigabyte is very jealous of that and if they come up with their own version of embeded Linux, then they will be accuse of copying Asus idea!
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2008 1:18:52 PM

Most of us are overclockers, so the energy saving features do not apply.
I don't think you can overclock and maintain energy saving features.
You are just paying extra for the feature.
May 15, 2008 1:51:13 PM

dagger said:
Actually, the software based EPU doesn't work, as it undervolts and cause stability/crashing problems. So the "real question" you're refering to is already answered, if you look at independent reviews, or Gigabyte's rant. Their results match. Still, most people don't care for power savings anyway.

Actually, I have disabled the various power savers on different boards and from different companies for years when overclocking. They seemed to work fine at stock speeds, but always introduced instability at overclocked speeds. So in a way, this part of Gigabyte's rant is a non-issue to me.
May 15, 2008 1:52:24 PM

I have repaired a lot of motherboard but never an Asus. Caps are good and come form Japan.

Never had a trouble with Asus and Gigabyte by the way but Gigabyte offer better board for the same price.
May 15, 2008 1:59:00 PM

I think the thing I prefer about Asus boards is the bios. I don't miss my old P965 DS3's requirement of Ctrl+F1 to access "advanced" features at all...or its needing a jumper (that they placed UNDER the graphics card) to reset the CMOS after failed overclocks...or the lack on onboard power/reset switches...or the incompatibility with my Corsair RAM...or the ...well, I just don't miss it.
May 15, 2008 1:59:47 PM

$100-$200 for a new board? Seriously, that isn't that much cash when you compare it to what you make in car payments or mortgages for a year. If you can't afford to buy a new part from blowing it up during OC'ing, then don't OC. Bad electronic parts happen, it's the nature of the beast and customer service is rarely a field trip worth enjoying. I have had great customer service twice, once was BFG in swapping a dead card, and ASUS for a mobo exchange.

Quote:
although SUPCOM DID force me to upgrade...lol

yeah, it'll tend to do that... :) 
May 15, 2008 2:09:48 PM

rubix_1011 said:
$100-$200 for a new board? Seriously, that isn't that much cash when you compare it to what you make in car payments or mortgages for a year. If you can't afford to buy a new part from blowing it up during OC'ing, then don't OC. Bad electronic parts happen, it's the nature of the beast and customer service is rarely a field trip worth enjoying.

A-frack'n-men
May 15, 2008 2:21:40 PM

I the last 5 years I have had one Gigabyte board arrive DOA, and one Asus die due to a bad southbridge. The Asus board that I was sent to replace the bad one had 2 bad capacitors on it, one leaking and one bulged.
I have had an evga card go bad from bad caps, it happens.

Solid caps are the way to go today, as caps do make a difference.
Where they come from and where they are made do come into account as to quality.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030219071949/http://www.sp...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
May 15, 2008 2:27:34 PM

Quote:
rubix_1011 wrote :

$100-$200 for a new board? Seriously, that isn't that much cash when you compare it to what you make in car payments or mortgages for a year. If you can't afford to buy a new part from blowing it up during OC'ing, then don't OC. Bad electronic parts happen, it's the nature of the beast and customer service is rarely a field trip worth enjoying.

A-frack'n-men

Hey, it needed to be said. OC'ing isn't something you should partake in if you aren't ready to plunk down cash to replace your voided, burnt parts.

If you have dead components from stock use, it still sucks, but only buy what you can afford to replace. And maybe check your PSU, surge protector and UPS. That $40 UPS might help regulate your power surges and brownouts to prevent some of those causes as well.

Don't race your car if you aren't ready to pay for a new engine. Or transmission. Or jail.
May 15, 2008 2:28:58 PM

I'll never buy another board with gel caps. ...but I think EVGA, XFX, BFG an others that sell reference design boards are the only ones still offering these on their mid-to-high end boards. Hell, I'm wondering when Creative (its a love/hate relationship with them) will start using solid caps on their sound cards like Asus and some others have.
!