Sign in with
Your question

Help: Boot ISO file from USB drive

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2009 2:39:16 PM

How can I get a Fedora system booted from a USB (flash) drive?

I have downloaded an upgrade ISO DVD file from the Fedora project, but the computer I want to upgrade has no DVD drive. I thought I would put the upgrade files on a USB flash drive and try to have the computer to be upgraded from that USB drive.

So far:
I extracted the ISO files to my 4 GB flash drive and inserted it into the Linux computer. But it will not boot from that flash drive.

The computer does see the flash drive when it is booted normally, so it may a) not see the drive during boot, or b) not find something to boot with on the drive. It is set up to boot from "Removable Devices" first.

This is an older IBM NetVista computer, and presents a bit differently than other clones. But it runs Fedora very reliably.
May 11, 2009 1:01:56 PM

cjl said:
Use this:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/unetbootin/unetbootin-...

(It's a windows app that I have used many times to make bootable USB drives with everything from Ubuntu to Windows 7)

That's great. I'll try it, and get back to you.

A few hours later...
The software seemed to work, but the computer seemed not to see the flash drive at boot up.

Again..it sees the drive once the existing Fedora 8 system is booted, but not during boot. This is an IBM NetVista machine, and during boot it presents a short text list of 3 items - 1) Removable media, 2) CD-ROM, and 3) IDE Drive, and the default is Removable media. But it still boots the F8 system on the hard drive.
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 12, 2009 5:12:50 AM

That's odd - I'd almost wonder if that's a matter of the BIOS not supporting boot from a USB drive, rather than a problem with how the USB drive was prepared.
January 21, 2010 9:32:27 PM

You need to boot into your bios and change your boot priority if possible. in your bios there will be a section called boot order or boot priority, something like that. change USB to the top, and if you don't have USB there, you may be out of luck. or atleast I don't know what to tell you at that point.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 27, 2010 3:26:29 AM

Try using UNetbootin, downloadable from: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#other

I've used it in Windows 7 x32 and x64 to burn Puppy Linux and Ubuntu to USB Flash Sticks without any problems - worked every time!

Regards

Scriber :) 
!