xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
So I just finished my taxes and I know roughly how much money Ill be able to swing to build a new gaming computer (approx. 2k). Is there a good time to build, in the near future? Is there about to be a big drop in price? A new product coming out? I dont mind waiting a bit to build the computer but the money might start burning a hole in my pocket.

~X
FLYNAVY

0gab0ga

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
if you like the waiting game wait until 2009 for the nehalems, by which point (almost) everything will have to be changed. but i dont think you want to wait that long. no real significant pricedrops. only in the 20-30$ range for some products. q9450 will be out soon, as will the "real" 9800 series. the graphics you dont have to wait for if you buy evga gpu and step up, the processor wont be much better performance wise vs. the q6600, but will generate less heat and be more expensive.however you have the budget for it..
if sli is something you are planning the 790i mobos are out, but these require ddr3 memory. also the x48 mobos will be out soon(?) but i dont know if they are worth waiting for. if you plan on spending all 2k i would wait, but if you want to prioritize cost/price ratio youre better off with a p35
however, as soon as the mentioned products come out youll start hearing about all the other stuff, so there is no real perfect time to build. i think around this time is good, rather than waiting till summer/fall/winter, cause you can use it with good performance for 2-3 years depending on your usage before you do a major makeover and go nehalem.