Simultaneous streaming and other work

En0rm0

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
My PC is a few years old and I need to upgrade. I'm thinking Core i7 and a Gigabyte GA-EX58 set up. I'm also running out of HD space due to the media that I stream to my PS3 via Tversity.

I want the computer to be able to stream media while it works on other things, some possibly hard drive intensive. Would there be any performance issues with this sort of multitasking if the box ran everything off of two mirrored 1TB SATA drives?

If so, then would the Gigabyte onboard RAID controller be able to handle two raid configurations? My current 260 GB SATA drives mirrored as the system drives and two 1TB drives mirrored for media?
Thanks!

r_manic

Administrator
Just to be clear, you want to "mirror" two hard disks? That's RAID 1, which is two hard disks containing the same data, backing each other up.

RAID 0 is probably what you want to implement, since it allows the fastest data transfers. The problem with RAID 0 is that, if only one disk fails, you lose all your data.

Would it be possible to stream to your PS3 from only one of your disks? That leaves the other to concentrate on what you have to do on your PC.