Sign in with
Your question

Dell dimension 4500 will not start

Last response: in Windows XP
August 3, 2010 12:22:24 PM

Hello,
i have a dell dimension 4500. I go to power up the computer, but it only goes as far as turning the fan on and the blue dell screen shows up. i do not have anything on my computer that i wish to save and i tried doing a system restore, but cant get the computer to boot from the restore cd. I even changed the boot sequence. any suggestions?
August 3, 2010 3:05:38 PM

First make sure you can boot from the CD.
Go into bios and make the CD the first boot item.

Then put in a bootable cd. If your not sure that your windows cd is bootable go to another computer and see if the same cd boots. If it does not download some other ISO and put on cd eg linux and see if that boots on spare computer first then on yours. If you cant boot you cant load, recover OS. This must work first. Once this is working then you can restore or play around to fix things.
m
l
February 28, 2012 12:36:34 AM

Are your drives being recognized in the BIOS? (eg. CDROM, HDD, etc.) I had a similar problem with my Dell Dimension 4500. I solved the problem by changing the IDE cables around. I am not sure if this will work, but you may as well try it.
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:56:39 PM

kingturd65 said:
Hello,
i have a dell dimension 4500. I go to power up the computer, but it only goes as far as turning the fan on and the blue dell screen shows up. i do not have anything on my computer that i wish to save and i tried doing a system restore, but cant get the computer to boot from the restore cd. I even changed the boot sequence. any suggestions?

m
l
!