Upgrading System, Opinions needed on 9600 Black

mountaindewdope

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I need to upgrade my old x2 system, cuz of I'm having motherboard issues and its slightly outdated. My Current system Is:

RS482M4 (MS-7191)
Athlon64 x2 4400 Toledo
Supertalent 2x1GB Ram
ATI x1600 PRO 512mb gfx
Sonata II stock Antec 450w PSU

I use this system mostly for one MMO game, while multitasking with Firefox P2P and sometimes throw some Multimedia @ it. I used to use Beyond TV to record and encode tv shows, but kinda slowed down on that since getting HDTV.

Thinking of Upgrading to: (all prices offa newegg.com)

DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $169
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HD960ZWCGDBOX - Retail (this is the Black Edition)+CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D - Retail $273

Now I'm getting a deal on the Proc and Ram, 275 total for both. I could just search high and low and replace the board, but with that tax rebate the gov is giving out, why not splurge?

I kno the B2 Stepping has issues. I plan to install the TLB patch, which will drop my overall performance ~10-20% according to http://techreport.com/articles.x/13741/4, but use the overclocking to eat up most of this loss. Toms Hardware managed this get this chip stable to 2.6ghz.

for cooling I plan on using the Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail, which is similar to the one reviewed by toms. $39.99

This is working on the assumption that 4 cores running at 90% are better than 2 cores running @ 100%.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/05/amd_phenom_9600_black_edition/page35.html
AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition: New Hope? | Tom's Hardware

I saw that the reviews for showed the 9600BE OCed to 2.6 and the Q6600 were going blow for blow, one better that the other and vice versa in some aspects. And there is that interesting bit @ the end of the article saying how one should never pay more than 220 for this chip. The ram was 94, which means I'm paying 179 for the 9600BE.

Another point that leans me in this direction is the features, (PCIE 2.0, Crossfifre) that come with the AMD boards, and the promised future compatibility.

So I guess my questions would be, if it worth it? With over clocking I will get approximately what I would get from the q6600, for a total price of about 475, or will I? How Much longer will the B3's be, and will I get such a good deal with it? What exactly does this fix do to fix the problem, and How will it affect me? Will this system perform as well or better than my Current Custom built system? What do you think on the price to performance benefit? I kno the board is a little expensive, is there a better board that I can get besides this?

Any Opinions are welcome, and thank you in advance for your replies.

P.S.-I, as a solemn vow to myself, will NEVER build or own an Intel system if there is a choice, due to years of torment on every intel system I have been forced to use at work. :non: :fou: :non: :pfff:

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The TLB issue will likely not effect you so you would not want to apply the patch.

The B3's will likely not be priced as low.

The CPU will likely be slower for gaming than your current Chip if you OC your current chip, but noticably faster for the other tasks you mentioned.

I'm really concerned you are not looking at upgarding your GPU.
If you are having any type of gaming issues then the upgrade will not help at all and may hurt.

I think you are really overpaying for your RAM.

mountaindewdope

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I'm not upgrading due to Gaming issues, its more of Mobo issues.

some1 did it,they left the system running and dropped a screw in it by accident. Now I get usb issues and wierd noises and some instabilty.

My current board system has been awesome to me, but with this issue I feel its time for an upgrade lol.
I'm also I'm having a hard time finding a good 939 pin board for this chip, and I've tried overclocking this chip which I think might even be locked.

But you are saying that core for core, this old chip is better than an unpatched Phenom? How much worse will it be than the 2.2 44oo that I have now?

I really want to play with the new amd quads and the 4x crossfire down the road looks sweet @_@.

I was looking for a High performance ram from a company I trust, as well as the combo deal. maybe i should try http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The Second Set of RAM is a better deal, I just don't think 1066 RAM is gonna help that much, especially since the timings are looser to get to 1066.

Something like the 5000+ BE or maybe the X2-6400 would be better gaming, but the Phenom will not be bad. The main problem is it can't OC very well and while it may be slightly fast clock for clock, it will be running quite a bit slowr than the other chips which could hit 3.4Ghz or so vs 2.6 Ghz for the Phenom.

But when looking at the Multi-CPU tasks it will shine compared to the older X2.

mountaindewdope

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Kinda cross Posts there lol.

I guess I could wait for the quad cores to stabilize a bit and get better. is the only difference between the 5000BE and the 6400 Clock speeds? How far can the x2 6400BE be pushed?

I don't want to overclock if I don't have to, but with the results this cooler got with toms, I might try it.

here is what I'm looking @ atm, -40 for promo.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=10790127

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Both Chips can hit about 3.4Ghz.

The 6400 will be slightly faster clock for clock but will not OC much since it is fairly close to max speed out of the box.

For $189, the Phenom is not a bad deal, but the x2 5000+ BE can often be had for about $89 and is a really good deal if you are an AMD fan at that price.