Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to Reinstall Windows?

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2008 1:28:28 AM

If all things go as planned, I will soon be upgrading my motherboard and videocard. Unfortunately, I only have one hard drive, which is not partitioned. So, I was wondering what the chances are that I do not need to reinstall windows. The new card is an XFX 9600GT, my old one is an eVGA 8600GT, do I should just need to update the Froceware. My main concern is the motherboard. I am upgrading an IP-95 to an IP-35, will I be able to just uninstall my old mobo before I swap 'em, and then just install the new one? I am running XP Pro 32.

More about : reinstall windows

a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2008 2:36:40 AM

I think it would work and you'd have to reactivate, but you may get off without reactivation. However I hear it runs a lot better if you do a reinstall.
March 24, 2008 2:47:23 AM

yes i can second that. I updated from a asus M2N-sli Deleuxe (AMD) to an Asus Striker Formula II. Everything was working fine, but after I reformatted the system actually ran noticeably faster. The system was reinstalled 2 days before the motherboard change...so it wasn't slow because of viruses or malaware or w.e

I would suggest reinstalling windows. If you have important things on your computer I'd suggest backing them up and reinstalling...

But again i see no reason why it wouldn't work even with out an reinstall. It just recommended.
Related resources
March 24, 2008 3:19:03 AM

Bite the bullet and reinstall, you'll be glad you did.
March 24, 2008 3:49:49 AM

Reinstalling always seems smoother and I always do it unless its a replacement with a near identical board (same brand, model).

Just reinstall. It takes a little longer but it lets the OS configure correctly to the hardware you are pairing up...
March 24, 2008 3:56:37 AM

yeah, it is better to reinstall windows. otherwise, u might end up with endless problems.
March 24, 2008 12:18:19 PM

Is there any way I can partition some free space on my drive to put Windows on? I only have an 80 gig and a 20 gig extra hard drives, (both are 5400 rpm so I do not want to use them for my OS) to back up onto, and I have 140 gigs of data on my drive. I suppose I could cut it down. It is mainly just games and programs that are replaceable.

Well, thanks for the help. I was also wondering if anyone who has the board could answer some question. I have an Antec Earthwatts 430 PSU with a 4 pin CPU connector. The board has an 8 pin. Will I be alright with that? My CPU is a non-overclocked E2200. Do I need to plug in a molex cord to the motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2008 2:06:02 PM

Grimble Crumble said:
If all things go as planned, I will soon be upgrading my motherboard and videocard. Unfortunately, I only have one hard drive, which is not partitioned. So, I was wondering what the chances are that I do not need to reinstall windows. The new card is an XFX 9600GT, my old one is an eVGA 8600GT, do I should just need to update the Froceware. My main concern is the motherboard. I am upgrading an IP-95 to an IP-35, will I be able to just uninstall my old mobo before I swap 'em, and then just install the new one? I am running XP Pro 32.

now correct me here ,,but aren't ip-95 and ip-35 different chipsets??,,, if so the procedure for non reinstalling is,,[may or may not work] uninstall mobo specific drivers and Lan in fact anything that is specific to that mobo,,and just for general windoze paranoia ,,the video drivers also,and when you first boot your new mobo,,go right into the bios and make sure that everything is set to default,you must be sure,you can overclock later ,for now you want to get it up and running,remember that mobo makers do not do a burn in nowadays,you need to do that yourself,that will be your first few hours of usage,,this procedure or variations of it have worked for me in the past,but..when dealing with crappy ,stupid,and backward os'es everything is iffy,very much so,also when and IF,you do get everything up and running without a reinstall,then do a reinstall right over it all,do not trust windoze in the least,and never use it for anything other than playing games and other nonsecure stuff...[if you need security,learn how to use something like ubuntu for instance..my 2c] :) 
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2008 2:16:06 PM

i'm a little confused here..
in your first post you say that you have only one hdd,now you are saying that you have an 80,20 +140g?????
nonetheless,there are software packages that can repartition a hdd on the fly like system commander,and partition magic,etc,etc,,there may even be some free/shareware that will do the same..
now then,,as to you 4/8 pin connector,,check with your mobo's manual,,before you pay good money for it,some mobo's will work with just the 4 pin connector,and of course some will not,and,,some will come with an adapter,again,RTFM,before you buy...g'luck..:) 
March 24, 2008 2:59:22 PM

I have an extra 80 gig, and a 20 gig, that I don't use, both are 5,400 RPM, so I don't want to use them as my boot drive. I have 140 gigs of data on my 7,200 RPM 320 GB boot drive. I want to stick to only using that drive, and if I could possibly keep my files.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2008 3:08:54 PM

I would hook up the 80 gig if it were me, then backup what I want to keep, reinstall on your main drive, then restore from your other and unhook it.
March 24, 2008 3:18:27 PM

You have other options. You can install your MB, boot with your Windows CD choose the R option and Windows will reinstall everything hardware related and you will have all of your software still installed and working correctly.
The only glitch that I had was I had to download an updated DLL from Microsoft for windows update to work. In addition, you have to reactivate Windows.

I did this when I upgraded from an AMD 2000xp with a radon 9500 to an AMD 5400 X2 with 7900 CS

March 24, 2008 3:29:07 PM

If you have to ask. The answer is yes.
March 24, 2008 4:04:49 PM

Woohoo. I found a Barracuda 7200.7 80 gig drive which appears to be working decently. If nothing else, it is more space to backup onto. Now, would there be a difference using this as my boot drive over my 7200.10? If not, I think I would like to use Partition Logic to create a new partition for my OS. Also, how should I go about removing Windows from my old drive, after I either use the 7200.7, or add a new partition to my 7200.10?
!