7900gt rma for 8600gts question

deluge

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I had to return my 7900gt recently because it almost entirely stopped working in december. Xfx was mostly helpful, I sent it back, they said it was faulty and someone would contact me. No one ever did and then I was told that a package was on the way. When it arrived it was an 512 8600GTS. I messaged them since I've pretty much read everywhere that it's not a superior card and this was their response:

Do you have the 12v and the 5v power dongle connected? We`ve done plenty of benchmarking here and we feel it is adequate if not better. The 7950 will pass up the 8600gts but the 7900 should be directly on par with it. Considering the use of stream processors vs pixel pipelines ( 7series ) this card is more efficient and doesn`t require as powerful of clock speeds to keep up with it. If your playing Older games like Farcry or Half Life the 7900 might be better since it was optimized for those types of games. In newer games like CoD4 or the 07/08 Sports games etc. the 8600gts will pass it up. Have you used this card yet? I would suggest trying it out for a while and seeing if you like it or not and let us know your results/experiences with it.

So I guess my question is, is this a fair deal? And if it's not I'm not sure how I respond to that. I just kind of feel like I'm getting shafted here with the video card replacement, not even to mention it's taken about a month from when the card left to when I got the new one. I've been using a 8600gt in the meantime and I know it's been crap in comparison.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I went from a 7800 GS to a 8600 GT and I can definetly say that the 8600 is better. How well the 7900GT compares to the 8600GTS, I can't say for sure. But, I do know that the 8600GTS is a little faster than my GT, and I would imagine that the 7900GT was only marginally faster than my 7800GS.

I would guess that the performance between the two will be similar overall. Some games will run better on the 8600 because of the better shader processing. Some will run better on the 7900GT because of the memory bandwith.

pony

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
yes ,it worth. they are right, 7900GT better in the older game,and 86gts better in the newer game. (gts not gt, gts's frequency is higher)

I think it might be on par. They may have a point on older games it will benefit the 7900, on newer the 8600. Do what they say and try it out? what option do you have? they probably do not have any more 7900's regardless and this is their "direct replacement".

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005

I agree with that response. I owned an 8600GTS for a while and currently have an older 7900GS (similar). The 8600GTS definitely outperforms the 7 series in newer games and it pretty close in older games. I'd say you got a fair trade or maybe even came out a little on top.

franchise

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I had the same problem i sent back a 7900gt and got a 8600GTS, only in my case i had a 7900gt SLI setup so i got double screwed.

XFX can bite me

Yea i can see it from both sides here but it is about equal, playing devils advocate for a bit i can see that they might have a few 8600GTS cards to get rid off now the newer cards are about.
I dont think you got shafted its quite a tight call they couldnt have gotten away with less, but whats the alternative? They are not about to give away a brand new card now are they ?
Mactronix:)