That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?

"Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote in message
> That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?

Yep, tis true, I read an article in our newspaper about that this AM.
Verizon, Alltel, & one other cellphone co. chose not to participate.

bamp

"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote in message
>> That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?
>>

> Yep, tis true, I read an article in our newspaper about that this AM.
> Verizon, Alltel, & one other cellphone co. chose not to participate.
>

> bamp
If they do, they will get to insert My Phone in their (_*_)

I'll go to one of the others.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Paw-Paw wrote:

> That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?

Yes, it's true, Cingular is doing this. But only customers that have
specifically chosen to "opt in" will be included. Doing nothing =
opting out.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote in message
>>> That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?
>>>

>> Yep, tis true, I read an article in our newspaper about that this AM.
>> Verizon, Alltel, & one other cellphone co. chose not to participate.
>>

>> bamp
> If they do, they will get to insert My Phone in their (_*_)
>
> I'll go to one of the others.

It will be an OPT IN option only if you elect to have your number listed in
the directory.

In <_IAJd.9424$ud3.6413@bignews1.bellsouth.net> on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:40:05
-0500, "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote:

>That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?

<http://www.mobiledia.com/news/23635.html>

A circulating email online has mentioned a directory of cell phone
numbers will be published for all consumers to have access to,
opening the door for solicitors to call you using up precious minutes
on your plan.

However, it's a hoax.

No cell phone directory is being printed. It is under federal
violation to make unsolicited sales calls to cell phones. However
what is happening is Alltel, AT&T, Cingular, Nextel, Sprint, and
T-Mobile have hired Qsent, to create a wireless 411 service providing
directory assistance.

Consumers must opt in to be included, so if they don't tell their
carrier, they won't be. Phone numbers may also be removed at any
time.

<http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=1340002972&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance>

Sprint has decided to put the brakes on offering wireless directory
assistance services, at least for the remainder of 2005. The carrier
says burdensome legislative requirements led to its decision.

"Misinformation about carriers' plans for a wireless directory has
led to recent state legislation that places unnecessary operational
and financial burdens on carriers, for what was intended to be a
value-added opt-in service for customers," Sprint spokesman Scott
Stoffel tells Wireless Week.

California, for instance, has enacted legislation that requires
carriers to get physical written consent to publish wireless phone
numbers in a directory. Stoffel says typically carriers can get
consent orally or electronically.

There also have been discussions at the federal level, says Stoffel.
In November, Representatives Edward Markey, D-Mass., and Joseph
Pitts, R- Pa., introduced the Wireless 411 Privacy Act, which
basically calls for some limits to be put on a wireless directory
assistance list, including an opt-in feature; an opt-out feature; and
a no-fees-for-unlisted-numbers feature.

In June 2004, Verizon Wireless said it would take a "pro-consumer"
stance and refused to participate in a wireless directory, saying it
would not provide wireless phone numbers of its customers to
directory publishers.

[MORE]

> In <_IAJd.9424$ud3.6413@bignews1.bellsouth.net> on Tue, 25 Jan 2005
> 18:40:05
> -0500, "Paw-Paw" <pawpaw@granpa.com> wrote:
>
>>That Cingular might place our Cell Numbers in a Directory?
>
> <http://www.mobiledia.com/news/23635.html>
>
> A circulating email online has mentioned a directory of cell phone
> numbers will be published for all consumers to have access to,
> opening the door for solicitors to call you using up precious minutes
> on your plan.
>
> However, it's a hoax.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Little Rock, AR went for this hoax on
1/25/05. I think it was an article by the Associated Press. It said,
Cingular was publishing a cell phone directory, Nextel would be involved
also. Verizon & Alltel would not.