clifdweller

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
when i set my os to boot from a cd then insert the xp install disk it starts loading the driver files before it gets to the formatting stage. before it gets to the formatting screen the computer just goes idle with a blank screen, and no RAM,HD, or optical drive activity. I tried a knoppix cd and after i select boot it just goes idle as well, but i can use the knoppix cd to do a memory test which will run for hours without overheating so that isn't a problem.

This pc has worked fine for nearly 3 years then just crashed one day while idle in windows. Iv'e gone through the basic troubleshooting steps and thought it was the mobo so had that RMA'd but it hasn't helped. I'm guessing either the power supply or processor?

clifdweller

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
The cd has worked fine before and I have tried a friends disk. I have tried booting barebones with one stick of ram which is good according to a memory check. I have tried an Ide and Sata drive so it isn't the drive controller.

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Check the CD drive (because those things lifetime isn't much over a couple of years), then poke around a lot in the BIOS. A lot of the new things like SATA AHCI confuse the hell out of XP, as it doesn't have built in drivers for anything but bog standard (slow) SATA that emulates IDE.

clifdweller

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Allready tried 2 different cd-drives and a dvd-rom drive. The Bios settings were fine for the life of the machine so far. I cleared them and reset to all the right values but didn't help

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
If you've swapped ram, mainboard ,hard drives, video card and dvd drive,then the only thing i can think of might be your cpu.