which gpu to buy for my setup

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I'm confused about which graphics card would be best. would it be better to get an ati card if i have an amd processor. i want to keep it below $250. here is my setup.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+~3.0GHz
2 gigs of ram(might throw in a 3rd)
gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 motherboard
750W cooler-master psu

i want to be able to run Crysis,bioshock, cod4, C&C3, etc....... and games into the next year or 2.
resolution 1280x1024 right now. might get new monitor. i know i left something(probably a lot of somethings out) so please tell me.

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
thank you, but i mean would i get better performance out of an ati card. i'm looking at the toxic hd3870. ati cards get better with age and then just one day die, while nvidia cards never really get that performance boost and stay around longer and then slowly lose speed and slip off the gaming radar. so should i go ati or nvidia.

I don't think I've ever heard that before...... I'd just get whatever performed best in the price bracket or you feel more comfortable with.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Yeah, it wasn't a rather hard-to-follow explanation. Were you implying that ATI drivers improve dramatically over the life of the card and thus actually get better with age? I'm just trying to figure out what you meant... not being an ass about it.

I heard that before. ATI tends to optimize the drivers after the cards are sold, rather than before, so the cards often become faster after a driver upgrade. Lots of ATI fans are complaining that benchmarks on the Web are unfair to ATI cards because of this. TBH it's ATI's fault for selling the cards before the drivers are properly finished.

That Toxic card gets excellent reviews. Go for it if you like it. It will do fine at your resolution. You'd also give AMD a little help to survive, it needs it :(

On the nVidia side, the best thing I can find these days under $250 is the BFG 8800GTS G92 512MB for $225+$7 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
that is what i meant. i'll do as much as i can to keep amd afloat. amd dies and intel/nvidia will flood the market with crappy expensive products(like they already do. (just kidding)).

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
no one has the money. no one needs that.
"but with my 9800gx2 i get 550 fps instead of 75 can't you tell the difference NOOB"