Upgrading PSU

Chris_B

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I wish to upgrade my PSU. I primarily use this PC for flight simming, 3rd party development of add-ons for flight sims, and photoshop work for historical paint schemes for flight sims

My new PC is as follows:

HP Pavilion a6430f
AMD Phenom triple core 8400
3 GB RAM
over 600GB HD free
Vista 32

It is PCI-E compatible and I wish to install a PCI-E video card I already had prior to this machine, a GeForce 8600 GTS.

This PSU (300W) is not set up for the type of PCI-E connector I have for power- it uses Molex 4 pin as it's available power. In my opinion, this tells me they really cheaped out on the PSU, as I know of no PCI-E video card that uses 4 pin Molex for power...but anyway, I can make or purchase a "Y" connector, the set-up is easy, I use 2 yellow power leads from two molex, ground is on top, blah blah, or I splurge and spend the 5 dollars...I actually have an adapter coming to me from a friendly soul in the mail, as well but I cannot trust the US Post Orifice enough to depend on it getting here- ever see the movie "Better off Dead"? Well, Lane Myer's mailman is also my mailman.

So I need an adapter, or so I thought- but I have read that the 8600 GTS uses 71W...I presume this is at idle! I can only imagine what a flight sim is going to do to the power draw at the res I want to work at...Am I correct in saying the 8600 GTS can draw 150W???

With what I do on my PC, I fear that this will push my PSU too far, and frankly, I'd rather have a PSU with the correct power for my PCI-E anyway. I could not care less about voiding the warranty on this new PC, and it seems the correct thing here is to simply upgrade my PSU at my first opportunity

To the best of my knowledge, my PSU is a HP-Compaq p/n 5188-2625. I'd take the side off the PC and just look, but it's hard to do with the PC running (it's under the desk on a stand)

I would prefer a 500W supply, that duplicates what this PSU does, but with at least one PCI-E power socket

The "Y" adapter is simple and I'm looking at the pin-out right now; I can make this adapter in ten minutes. But I fear risking the system with this PSU- I suspect my last PC's death came from PSU inadequacy issues

Oh, as a footnote- yes, at one time I did have the "Y" adapter that came with the 8600 GTS. Damned if I know where it is over a year later :)

So any help is appreciated. Ideally, I'd like some sort of cross-reference to what I want- or- maybe an online store that can simply do that for me?

Thanks in advance

4745454b

Titan
First, some words of warning. If you have the triple core 8400, this means you have a new computer. Removing the side cover will (probably) void your warranty. (as will changing your PSU and adding a video card.)

Speaking of which, you need to make sure your computer even has a PCIe slot. Many times OEM computers lack the needed slot to upgrade the video. (the would rather you go out a buy a new computer.) Take the time to do your research to make sure you can run the 8600GTS.

The 8600GTS is barely a midrange card. It might use 71W at full power. I'm more of a AMD person, so I don't know how much power the GTS uses. If you are currently looking for a quality 500W unit, I do suggest this model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151040

Seasonic, 500W, 34A on the 12V rails, no rebates, and its $70 counting shipping. Seriously, what more could you want? If thats on the upper edge of what you wanted to spend, there are others.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004

This is the Antec basiq that they had on their front page. About the same price out the door, but it has a $30MIR dropping the price quite a bit. Should have no problems using either of these.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Chris_B have to agree with:

4745454b Speaking of which, you need to make sure your computer even has a PCIe slot. Many times OEM computers lack the needed slot to upgrade the video. (the would rather you go out a buy a new computer.) Take the time to do your research to make sure you can run the 8600GT

HP Pavilion a6430f does it have pcie video slot ?

Chris_B

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Hi guys

If you read my post... :)

You will see that yes, I have a PCI-E slot, (quote: "It is PCI-E compatible") and no, I don't care about voiding my warranty, and yes it is a new PC (quote: "I could not care less about voiding the warranty on this new PC") :)

I'm not trying to be a wiseass here, but if you read my post, these concerns of yours are addressed :) I'm not a kid hoping and wishing, I'm a grownup who tries to check things out before he buys :) This PC has what I say it has, and the warranty is not something I'm worried about

In fact, I have fabbed up a "Y" adapter as I described, and I have verified my wiring by installing and firing up the PCI-E card I have, and downloading new drivers for it on this new PC. I tested it on "F.E.A.R." with pleasant results

Those suggestions on PSUs that I might look into are appreciated :) I am trying to find a 'sure thing' that is a drop in and bolt up replacement. I've specc'd out a few on my own, and I am not 100% sure that they are exactly what I want, so I'm looking for advice on a true "bolt-on"

Please understand I'm not putting you down or trying to insult.

PS:

the part number I list for my current PSU is correct; I checked while installing the PCI-E card a few minutes ago

Ok, we can make some suggestions but from my experience with replacing a factory installed psu with an aftermarket unit is you will sometimes have issues with things such as the power button on the back of the aftermarket uint not fitting your case.

What can happen is when you go to install the new psu, the on/off button does not fit the cut out that was designed to specifically fit the factory case. You can have two options here, cut a new hole or bend the case plate if its close enough to fit but not quite. I have had this to happen before and unfortunately theres not a chart to look at that tells you a corsair 450 watt psu (or any brand for that matter) will fit in a dell 4000 series case. You will have to buy one and try it and expect to possibly have to take it back and trade for another that may fit.

I think from the setup you are trying to insall either of the psus suggested above will work great. This would be my choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

I have grown to love corsair psus and they help you to love them with a 5 year warranty. I think thats the best warranty in the industry. Correct me if Im wrong guys, I know you will... ;)

4745454b

Titan
No worries chris. Had I been paying more attention to your post, I would have seen that. (compatible is a bit ambiguous, but again, no worries.) They are valid points, and should be pointed out. (or not pointed out if I was actually paying attention...)

As for "direct bolt on", I am assuming that HP is following the ATX spec for screw holes. If they aren't, then this won't work. Again, either of the PSUs that I linked to should work just fine.

@ Englandr, BFG has one of the best warranties in the business, as theirs are warrantied for life. 5 years is plenty, if it blows you'd probably need a new one anyways.

Good to know. Thanks for the warranty info...

TRENDING THREADS