P5N-D, 5 RMA's later, no post still

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
First, specs-

MOTHERBOARD
ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

HARD DRIVES
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5/2G - Retail

CPU COOLER
ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler - Retail

CASE
NZXT LEXA BlackLine Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GRAPHICS CARD
EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PROCESSOR
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

PSU
Thermaltake W0131RU ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply - Retail

---------
This is my first build, and the results are making me never want to build again.
I can turn my computer on, everything appears to have power, all fans spin up, lights come on. However, I cannot get any video/display whatsoever. The monitor reacts as if it is recieving no signal. I have tried multiple PSU's, graphics cards [pci-e and pci], RAM, hard drives, and monitors with the exact same results. I've also tried every slot for all components. I have also tried the whole out-of-the-case thing and got the still-no-post thing. All components save the motherboard have been tested in other machines and appear to be in good working order. The motherboard has no onboard video.

I have RMA'd the motherboard a grand total of 5 times, 4 through newegg, 1 through ASUS. I've RMA'd to Asus to flash the bios to a later version.

After all this, I still get no display. No display means I have no way to tweak any settings at all.

As near as I can tell, there must be some sort of compatability issue, as 5 rma's pretty much rules out a chance of 5 bad motherboards in a row.

All I can think of to do now is beg newegg to send me a different motherboard but their policy is replacement only and the original invoice date is way back to March 26th 2008.

Does anyone have a similar problem, solution, or idea?

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Check your newegg invoice, some returns are allowed much longer than 30 days. Some are much longer. I rma'd a mobo a few months after purchase for different model board since they didnt have the same one anymore.

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
The processor is working, I swapped the Q6600 with a working Q6700 and back again, both working, same result.

I'll call newegg tomorrow and try to swap out for another board. Any suggestions on a proven motherboard similar to the P5N-D, but with onboard video?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Clearly you are doing something wrong. I can't even believe that they gave you four additional mobos. Take it to a shop and let them fix it for you. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, it's just the facts.

Now I feel bad.

kashiwa_0423

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
no offence dude,
but as a first time builder
u r most likely a n00b

it sounds to me like u forgot to put the motherboard stand-offs
so when u boot up it just fries whatever board u have

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Stand-offs are a likely culprit.

I'll give the OP some credit and assume there was no static discharging during the "out-of-the-case" phase.

Simple question: When you say "no-post", do you mean that nothing shows up on the monitor, or that you don't hear the actual POST beeping? Do you hear any beeping at all?

Well, that was two questions, but anyways.

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Motherboard stand-offs are in place, screws secure, none where they shouldn't be. CPU Cooler does have a brace on the outer side to keep it in place.

No beeps nor display whatsoever.

Granted, I am a noob, but even I know to discharge static before attempting to handle components, and I kept my arm/hand on the case chassis whenever possible.

I've had a computer technician look over my build and his word to describe the assembly was 'immaculate'.

To add, I've reset the CMOS many times over with previous [rma'd] boards.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you had a computer tech look it over, why didn't he fix it?

We'll help you trouble shoot.

First, does the machine boot at all? Fans spin and shut down, or not spin at all?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Maybe hook up the aux 4/8 pin power connector...it's not that obvious but it's required!
Make sure that the sli is disabled since you only state one card!...
That's all I can think of...hope it helps

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
The computer tech can't see anything wrong with it. He's scratching his head as much as I am. The machine does power up, all the fans come on and stay on, as well as LED's. The DVD drive opens/closes, hard drive makes hd noises, graphics card fan spins. All things stay on until I turn them off. And I did connect the extra 4-pin connector to the board.

I'll look over the board manual, but as far as I can tell, SLI should be disabled by default.

And thanks guys :)

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
You say you have no beeps do you have a speaker plugged into your system board and is it plugged in right? If it is then no beep means your not getting trough post and the problem is with the motherboard, processor, or power supply.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If your case doesn't have a speaker you can get one from a throw away computer. Since the machine stays powered you don' have a problem with shorting. First get a speaker, if you don't have one, and check for beeps. Then unplug everything from the mobo, including any USB headers etc., except the PSU, 1 stick of RAM, VGA and fans, and try to boot.

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Initially, neither the motherboard nor the case provided a speaker [so we're clear, the little device that connects near the power/reset switch]. So, I used an old one from a previous computer. I did get a long beep if i pulled the graphics card before powering up. Now, it seems I've misplaced the speaker device and from what I understand, connecting an external speaker should work, correct?

Also, SLI should not be enabled unless 2 cards are in with the SLI connector attached, and even then, there is further setup after that. So, no, SLI should not be on by default.

I've been using only single sticks of RAM and havent connected anything unnecessary.

Can you borrow a motherboard of a totally different type and try with it? Just to prove that the problem is not the CPU or PSU or some installation error.

Must admit this looks like something from the X-Files... It just doesn't make any sense.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Are you sure the board they sent back is a different board then the one you rma'd?
I had an ASUS A7V600 rev2 board and wouldn't run 3D games at all.
RMA'd it and in 6 weeks I got the same board back (serial no.) so it now did some 3D games but now my cpu temps were outrageous. My xp2400 used to run faithfully at 38c after they returned it, it ran at almost 60c! re-seated the processor several times with arctic silver and still the same. Finally the board blew and took my processor with it.
That's why I don't trust ASUS with my dollars anymore.
If you RMA it again, put a mark on the board (somewhere you can't remove it) and when it comes back check it!
But it sounds like the mobo is the problem.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Did you remove the socket protector? It's been done before people do tend to forget that. I would double check and while you are double checking make sure all connection are all the way plugged in and into the right connector. Use the manual. Also if you post some pictures of the board so we can see exactly how you have it installed it might help. There is nothing that can replace seeing what you are trying to fix. maybe even a you tube video of you installing components and trying to start. Sometimes there is something you might think is unimportant but is actually an imprtant clue.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I agree with aevm and jonnyq, pick up a cheap Gigabyte GA-P35 and give it a try. If you haven't already, first test the RAM in another machine. All that leaves is a bad CPU which is rare.

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
I haven't put all components together on a different board, but I have individually tested the graphics card, processor, and ram on other computers. They all worked without a problem. The PSU was tested green, and I've tried other PSU's anyway.

The board I got sent back from asus had a few distinquishing differences. The bios chip was marked with a U rather than a P. The CPU 775 socket was a different color as well [copper to silver]. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

From what I can tell, the motherboard seems to be the problem, as the other components are working. I plan to do my 6th :fou: rma Monday to newegg and exchange for a different motherboard of equal value [149.99], a non-asus one. Any suggestions?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Gigabyte,EVGA,Foxconn those are the 3 I would pick from..they all have good boards....
When you see alot of problems on forums and they are about the same manufacturer that should tell you something...
My foxconn p965 is probably the best board I've ever bought!
I've o/c'd to the limit of my stock cooler and I've never had any stability issues. My os install was almost a walk-away install. (entering name and stuff.)
Hope you get a decent board this time round....I myself hate it when your hard earned cash is sitting and you can't use it!

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
some how I don't think a new mobo is going to fix your problem. After all this is already your 5th what makes you thinks the 6th will work? After all the boards do work I mean other people have them installed and working. Either your doing something wrong or there is a compatitbility issue. Well maybe the new board will not give you the opportinity to make the same mistake.
I would still like to see the pictures and I'm assuming you verified that the socket protector is off.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
One other suggestion. Try starting up with minimum amount of components installed. One stick of ram, no optical drive, no HDD, no fans etc just to see if it will at least post.

Joatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Photos of the interior:

http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0094br2.jpg

http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0090mx4.jpg

I have a video as well, anyone know a free video upload site that doesn't require registration?