Memtest86+ results for your consideration. (Please)

mercatordesigns

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Here are the system specs I tested these under.

AMD Machine:

MB: Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition (WiFi disabled and taken off board)
CPU: AM2 5200+ X2 (2.6ghz Standard non overclocked)
Video: EVGA 8800GTX (Standard Non overclocked)
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Gamer
Ram: Corsair Dominator 1066mhz 2gb kit (2x1gb sticks)

Intel Machine

MB: Asus P5N32-E SLI
CPU: Intel E6850 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor at 1333 FSB 65nm (Standard non overclocked)
Video: Gigabyte 7600GT (standard non overclocked)
Sound: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Platinum
Ram: Corsair Dominator 1066mhz 2gb kit (2x1gb sticks)

The Scoop: I have been purchasing parts for my new system I will be building based around the AM2+ design, with Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I recently just got in 8GB of ram. These are 2 separate 4gb sets. Each set has 2 2gb sticks in the pack. The actual ram is Corsair Dominator CM2x2048-8500C5D 1066Mhz sticks. Both packs are version 1.1 and should be ran at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v default factory settings.

After receiving them I placed them in my computer 1 stick at a time to test and make sure they are all good so that I can send any faulty ones back ASAP.

Here is where the problems started.

All Ram posts just fine. Using the M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard as a test bed.

The Weird:

1. I currently have a 2gb Dual Channel Kit in my computer. This set runs perfectly fine in non SLI/EPP mode and In SLI/EPP mode. It does not matter, the ram passes Memtest86+ version 2.01 no matter what the mode.

2. In testing the 4gb kits One 2gb stick at a time, All 4 sticks (8gb total) will pass Memtest86+ Ver. 2.01 flawlessly with 0 errors when SLI/EPP is DISABLED. But will Fail on tests 5-8 consecutively. (All Four 2gb sticks placed one at a time in slot 1 will fail with SLI/EPP Mode Enabled.).

3. The 2gb sticks also registered as 435mhz (ddr870) in memtest86+ with SLI/EPP Disabled. And would register as 520mhz (ddr1040) in memtest with SLI/EPP Enabled. After double checking the 1gb sticks also show up this way in memtest86+ but they pass in either setting.

4. All Bios settings are set to auto on the ram EXCEPT for Voltage which is manual set to 2.1v which is what the ram calls for. ALSO the ram is set to 5-5-5-18 with SLI/EPP Disabled and the proper 5-5-5-15 with it Enabled while testing with memtest.

5. Placing the 2gb stick into the A2 slot from the A1 or (first yellow to first Black) Results in the ram PASSING in BOTH modes SLI/EPP Enabled or Disabled. BUT! When running in either they both show the ram speed as 435mhz (ddr 870) running at 5-5-5-18. How bizarre.

6. At this point im positive the ram is fine and that it is an issue with the motherboards compatibility. I am thinking it probably just doesn’t like 2gb sticks even though it supports up to 8gb of memory. Just to make sure I cross reference my bios with the newest. Turns out mine was out dated significantly mine was 0903. The newest out was 1903 (OOOPs!) :) . So I flashed the BIOS. The results?

7. Now the ram is read as 520mhz (ddr1040) at 5-5-5-15 in the first black slot with SLI/EPP enabled. BUT IT FAILS!! In tests 5-8. Sheesh go figure.

At this point I am absolutely positive the chipset/motherboard/asus is to blame and the ram is fine.

To make sure I throw everything into my uncles rig. The Intel one listed above.

All 4 sticks boot up 1 at a time and are seen as 1066 with SLI/EPP enabled. All 4 pass memtest86+ fine with no errors with SLI/EPP enabled. They also pass at 800 mhz with SLI/EPP disabled and run at 1066 mhz with SLI/EPP disabled and the ram set manually in BIOS.

The only weird thing I saw was that the chipset status (the area that shows the speed of the ram) Does NOT show up with the Intel setup.

So. My questions (just to confirm [HOPEFULLY] are as followed)

1. Why does memtest fail in SLI/EPP with One 2gb stick yet pass with One 1gb stick?
2. Why does the 2gb sticks pass with SLI/EPP Disabled at 870 5-5-5-18 (If they are bad somehow, which I doubt)
3. Why does the Intel board not show the “chipset” information under memtest86+ ?

That is it for now. I hope to hear from some of the more advanced users on these forums. I am a computer tech but I will admit I know only the basics to overclocking and advanced memory configuration. But I have absolutely no problems running basic tests like this, I just get confused with the Trc TRRD CLD CMP QURD DIWOUROUDNE AOUDNE IDUEH and all the other settings in the bios :)

Mondoman

Splendid
I wouldn't assume the RAM is fine. 2.1V is much higher than the 1.8V DDR2 standard and means the RAM is being sold as a factory-sanctioned overclock. I'd go to the excellent Corsair tech support forum at ramguy.com and see what they suggest.