May 12, 2009
Hey guys, before I explain the problem, just thought I'd put my comp specs up:

- MSI P7N DIAMOND
- 8GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR RAM
- PCI-E BFG GTX280 1GB
- INTEL Q6600
- SB AUDIGY HD
- 1 X 500GB SATA HDD (WESTERN DIGITAL)
- 2 X 500GB SATA HDD (MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 22)
(All latest drivers installed)

Ok here goes. Ive been doing computer's for over 12 years and have just built a new computer with the above specs.
The problem I am having is the 3 x 500gb HDD's.
I use the Western Digital drive for my Operating System and the other two Maxtor's as storage drives.

With having the Western Digital in on its own, the computer boot fast and without any problems. If I plug-in either of the two Maxtor drives along with it, it just will not boot. As far as the bios settings go, I have:
- SATA Enabled
- Mode set to: IDE
- Boot priority is set to the W'Digital with OS on it + no other boot devices enabled.
(No RAID config)

When I first plugged them in, they seemed to work without a hitch, then while transferring files from one HDD to another, the storage drives started to have read problems. Ive tried programs and chkdsk and still cant find an answer. I use one storage drive for my music and the other for back-ups etc. At the moment Im worried about losing files since 1994 including all my web design and other things.

Any help or advice on this matter would be more than welcome. Although if you do have anything in mind, but need more information in anyway, then ill try my best to get it and post it up. The computer is less than 3 months old and it's rare to think 2 HDD's would just stop working within 3 months of usage.

Thankyou for reading. Ady :??:

adyuk87

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
UPDATE: Found on Seagates website about Maxtor DiamondMax 22 issues and downloaded firmware.

- Drive 1: Recognised by BIOS, updated firmware. Worked for 15mins.. then couldnt be read by Windows "Drive is not accessable"
- Drive 2: Cannot attempt to upgrade firmware as not recognised by BIOS.

From all of the above information. Am I under the impression that both HDD's are just good door stops? or?
If the case, has anyone any idea on how I can successfully get my files off either?

Ty