Sign in with
Your question

Ethernet Port says "network cable is unplugged" on clean XP Install

Last response: in Windows XP
August 3, 2010 9:35:49 PM

(I hope this is the correct place to post this)

I clean-installed Windows XP SP1 from an OEM disk onto a new hard disk yesterday, and immediately upgraded directly to SP3.

I have a cable internet connection through a Netgear router. Modem connects to the router input, the computers connect to the router outputs. Other computers are connected to the router and they're working fine so I know the problem isn't with the router or connection.

Once installation and SP3 update finished, I installed drivers for my sound card and then installed Zonealarm firewall (although I hadn't connected the ethernet cable yet).

There are two ethernet ports available - one on the motherboard, the other a PCI card. I can't remember why there are two, I assume the people who serviced my computer added the card because the one on the motherboard wasn't good enough or something. I've always used the expansion ethernet port (didn't even realize there was a second one on the mobo until now).

The ethernet port on the motherboard is VIA PCI 10/100mb Fast Ethernet Adapter.

The addon is D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

Both of them show up as Local Area Connections under "LAN or High Speed Internet" in "Network Connections".

Since the old HDD with the old installation of XP uses the D-Link adapter, I'd like to use it in the new installation as well.

However, when I connect the ethernet cable to the D-Link port, it lights up, but Windows says "A network cable is unplugged". I updated the D-Link driver to the latest version but it didn't fix it. (Also, the driver on the old, functioning HDD is the same (old) one that was installed originally on the new HDD before I updated it and it works fine on the old HD.)

When Windows prompted me for the disk to install the original D-Link drivers, it said it "failed Windows logo testing". Does that matter? I know it works with Windows XP - I've been using it for years (under SP1 and SP2).

There are diagnostic tests in the Properties of the D-Link; it can successfully the cable it's connected to, but Windows still says a cable is unplugged. (The cable tst also says there's a short in two of the "cable pairs" - what does that mean? I know the cable works though.) I can also run the tool that tests the linkup and it makes the light on the port flash, so I know the computer can access the port.

The same thing happens when I plug the cable from the modem (that normally goes into the router) directly into the D-Link port--it still says a cable is unplugged, but the diagnostic tool is still able to test the cable. (However, in this case it says there's an "impedance mismatch" in one of the cable pairs along with the two shorts. Again, I know the cable is functioning - I'm using it to post this message.)

I haven't installed drivers for my motherboard off of the disk it came with. I'd rather not because I'm not sure what they do; I'm pretty sure they're not installed on the old HDD either (under Device Manager "System board" says "No drivers are installed for this device"). However, the front panel USB hub that attaches to the mobo is functioning correctly, and all the other parts of it seem to be working as well.

One other thing - I have currently switched back to the original HDD and I'm using it to write this message. It functions exactly as it did before I swapped to the new drive, it can access the internet perfectly as it did before, so I know the cable and card are functioning correctly. It has to be something in Windows that's causing it.

Does anyone have any advice on why the D-Link would be reporting a cable is unplugged when no cables are unplugged? Are there any specific devices in Device Manager I should be looking at? I don't see any yellow exclamation points. Should I try uninstalling SP3 and go back to SP1 and see if it makes a difference??

As for the Ethernet port on the motherboard, it does something different. When I plug the cable into it, it takes a long time but eventually says it's successful at acquiring a Network Address. At that point, in Network Connections it says it's connected (at 100mb/s), but I can't get on the internet. Do I have to do something else to make to work? Set up an Internet Connection? Would I need to restart for it to even work? (I didn't)

My primary concern it getting the D-Link working, but if I can get the mobo one working at least I might be able to use the internet on the new HDD and not have to switch back and forth (I'm afraid of damaging the IDE cable). I just hope there wasn't a more serious reason why they added a new ethernet card.

Please let me know if there's any other information I need to post. I may be able to take screen shots as well.

More about : ethernet port network cable unplugged clean install

August 3, 2010 10:21:27 PM

Forgot something - when I set up the new XP installation I gave the computer a different name from what it's called on the old HD. Should that make a difference? Should I have used the same name?
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:31:10 PM

Delete the D link drivers entirely.
Delete Via drivers entirely if you can (?) Sometimes you will need to push "control alt delete," open the task manager, click the processes tab, locate the via processes that are running, highlight and shut off the processes (click the stop button)
Then maybe you can un-install the via drivers.
Restart the computer, turn off the firewall and anti virus, load the D link drivers. Now restart and turn the anti virus and fire wall back on.
With the computer running, unplug your (cable or DSL?) modem power, wait 15 seconds plug the modem power back in, wait till all the lights are blinking on the modem.
Then restart the computer.
At that point, network cable should no longer show un-plugged, unless...
Does the router have a security code installed? Without the security set, you may not be allowed on the internet.
There's two ways to get around that, reset the router (with the reset button), hold the button for 15 seconds. This clears out all passwords (usually). OR find your pass-codes.

Then for the little via problem, the via audio / ethernet combo driver does not generally work, and that's why somebody put a D link ethernet card in the computer. This is a common work around on an Asus board.
Again you can turn off the anti virus and firewall, load the via driver, restart, turn the antivirus and firewall back on. This will generally get the audio functioning, but the on board via ethernet does not (frequently) work.
Luckily, there's an app for that. If you go into the hardware profiles, uninstall the via Ethernet hardware driver, then open control panel, click add new hardware.
Now when the add hardware wizard wants the ethernet driver, put a windows 2000 professional disk in the drive, and tell the wizard to look on the CD for a driver.
It just so happens that the Win Pro 2000 drivers will run the on board ethernet, without the via ethernet driver installed.
But I think you are better off using the D link ethernet card instead, that's what most people have done.

m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2010 11:13:10 PM

Quote:

Delete the D link drivers entirely.
Delete Via drivers entirely if you can (?)

On the old HD (the one I'm using right now) the Via drivers are still installed, but I had disabled the Via in Device Manager to get rid of the "cable unplugged" error. Is it not enough to just do that? Are you saying to uninstall all the Network Adapater drivers and start over with just the D-Link one?

BTW on the new installation the VIA port is called "VIA PCI 10/100Mb Faster Ethernet Adapter", but on the old (functioning) drive it's "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter" (and it's disabled).

If I uninstall the dirvers for the VIA ethernet port can they be replaced later if I needed to?

Rather than shutting down processes, can I start the computer in Safe Mode to uninstall the VIA drivers? I followed a page that said to try that to make sure multiple instances of D-Link weren't installed at once (on the new HD) but in Safe Mode in the "Network adapters" list there were a whole bunch of other things. I don't remember the names but a bunch started with W and one was "Wam" something. Is that normal?

Also, on the new HD the D-Link entry under Network Connections is called "Local Area Connection 5" (I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers before and it kept making the number higher). Does that mean there are three others that aren't being displayed, or that the previous install of the drivers didn't uninstall completely? And the VIA one is "Local Aera Connection" - on the old HD the VIA is "Local Area Connection 2" and the D-link is "Local Area Connection". Could that be related? Does the numbering have anything to do with which one is the "primary" connection or something?

Quote:

With the computer running, unplug your (cable or DSL?) modem power, wait 15 seconds plug the modem power back in, wait till all the lights are blinking on the modem.

It's cable. Will resetting the modem cause any problems with the other computers not being able to get back on the internet? Or it all that handled by the router and my computer isn't directly involved? As luck would have it my ISP (Comcast) seems to be having a big problem with outages right now which is making it harder to do things.

Quote:

Does the router have a security code installed? Without the security set, you may not be allowed on the internet.

It does have a security code (I know what it is), but I don't recall ever having to enter it on the computers connected to the router via wires, or even know where you would enter it. I have one computer that's wired and one that's wireless, as well as a Playstation 3 that's also wireless (the wireless ones obviously needed the password).

Quote:

Then for the little via problem, the via audio / ethernet combo driver does not generally work, and that's why somebody put a D link ethernet card in the computer.

That makes sense! I've never used the VIA audio either, always had a Sound Blaster Audigy in this computer.

Is there any reason to try installing anything off the Driver cd that came with the motherboard (or the one for the processor)? Or does Windows XP SP3 have all the needed drivers already for those things? It seems like everything else worked fine, and like I said I'm very wary of doing anything involving the mobo since it's so old and no longer supported.

Quote:

But I think you are better off using the D link ethernet card instead, that's what most people have done.
[/quotemsg]

Yes, I agree, I'd rather just try to get the D-link working. Plus I don't have a Win 2000 Pro cd anyway so can't do what you described.

Thank you helping!!
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:38:12 PM

To answer all that stuff briefly, you may be better off uninstalling all those drivers...
then try reinstalling with the antivirus and firewall turned off.
And yes, you can reinstall the via drivers.
Sometimes, quite often the AV and firewall will prevent the drivers from installing correctly.
Yes, reset your cable modem as I have described, while your computer is on, then after the modem restarts again, restart your computer.
No, it will not prevent other computers from getting back on line, restart those computers too.
Look in the router instructions, download the router instructions full version from the manufacturer's website. It will tell you how to access and reset the passwords,
or how to turn the passwords off.

Yes run the D link only.
I take it you have an Asus board? The Windows 2000 professional ethernet drivers will run the ethernet hardware on that board. But if you don't have it, the D link will work just fine.
m
l
August 4, 2010 10:20:30 PM

904458,5,584567 said:
To answer all that stuff briefly, you may be better off uninstalling all those drivers...

You mean the "Wam" or whatever ones, too? Or just Via and D-Link? Or should I also uninstall the sound card driver and just start over?

Quote:

then try reinstalling with the antivirus and firewall turned off.
Sometimes, quite often the AV and firewall will prevent the drivers from installing correctly.

Actually I didn't install any AV, just the firewall. And I only installed the firewall because I was afraid of getting a virus if I the computer connected to the internet without one running.

Quote:

I take it you have an Asus board?

I wish - it's a Chaintech Apogee 7VJL. Chaintech doesn't do mobos anymore and the mobo section of their website was removed four years ago so no way of getting updates for anything.
[/quote]
m
l
August 5, 2010 3:07:46 AM

You will have to download drivers from the via website for the audio.
Try resetting your modem first as above, at least twice. Then try connecting using the D link ethernet card.
remember, computer on, unplug modem, 15 seconds, plug modem back in, wait for modem lights to start blinking, THEN restart your computer.
If you still cant connect delete the ethernet drivers and reload with the firewall off.
Then repeat reset of modem AGAIN.
m
l
August 5, 2010 4:08:46 AM

ollix said:
(I hope this is the correct place to post this)

I clean-installed Windows XP SP1 from an OEM disk onto a new hard disk yesterday, and immediately upgraded directly to SP3.

<snip>
The addon is D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

When Windows prompted me for the disk to install the original D-Link drivers, it said it "failed Windows logo testing". Does that matter? I know it works with Windows XP - I've been using it for years (under SP1 and SP2).

This means D-Link didn't pay Microsoft to bless their card.

There are diagnostic tests in the Properties of the D-Link; it can successfully the cable it's connected to, but Windows still says a cable is unplugged. (The cable tst also says there's a short in two of the "cable pairs" - what does that mean? I know the cable works though.) I can also run the tool that tests the linkup and it makes the light on the port flash, so I know the computer can access the port.

Know your cables! This card does not perform Auto-Configure, only Auto-Negotiate.
You may have a bad cable, or an incorrect cable, or a cable that has wires flipped internally the wrong way.

The same thing happens when I plug the cable from the modem (that normally goes into the router) directly into the D-Link port--it still says a cable is unplugged, but the diagnostic tool is still able to test the cable. (However, in this case it says there's an "impedance mismatch" in one of the cable pairs along with the two shorts. Again, I know the cable is functioning - I'm using it to post this message.)

There's that cable issue again.

I haven't installed drivers for my motherboard off of the disk it came with. I'd rather not because I'm not sure what they do; I'm pretty sure they're not installed on the old HDD either (under Device Manager "System board" says "No drivers are installed for this device"). However, the front panel USB hub that attaches to the mobo is functioning correctly, and all the other parts of it seem to be working as well.

D-Link claims Windows XP native drivers will work with this card.

One other thing - I have currently switched back to the original HDD and I'm using it to write this message. It functions exactly as it did before I swapped to the new drive, it can access the internet perfectly as it did before, so I know the cable and card are functioning correctly. It has to be something in Windows that's causing it.

Or, something is more forgiving of a cable problem.

Does anyone have any advice on why the D-Link would be reporting a cable is unplugged when no cables are unplugged? Are there any specific devices in Device Manager I should be looking at? I don't see any yellow exclamation points. Should I try uninstalling SP3 and go back to SP1 and see if it makes a difference??

No, cables are cheap. Buy a new Patch cord and see what happens.

As for the Ethernet port on the motherboard, it does something different. When I plug the cable into it, it takes a long time but eventually says it's successful at acquiring a Network Address. At that point, in Network Connections it says it's connected (at 100mb/s), but I can't get on the internet. Do I have to do something else to make to work? Set up an Internet Connection? Would I need to restart for it to even work? (I didn't)

No restart needed. It's taking a long time to negotiate the cable error. You may be working on cross-talk between wrong wires.

My primary concern it getting the D-Link working, but if I can get the mobo one working at least I might be able to use the internet on the new HDD and not have to switch back and forth (I'm afraid of damaging the IDE cable). I just hope there wasn't a more serious reason why they added a new Ethernet card.

They added the new card to give you gigabit speed if you connect to another giga-speed device.

Please let me know if there's any other information I need to post. I may be able to take screen shots as well.

All patch cords are not made the same. They should all work the same, but sometimes a system is picky... here I show the differences in cables and that they should work the same, but sometimes won't.

m
l
Related resources
!