?? Can I "Unlock" a Mobo ??

tlbaxter

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hi All,

If this is not the correct forum, please let me know where is more appropriate.

I have an ECS MCP61PM-HM mobo that came on an HP machine. The BIOS is obviously an HP BIOS.

There are no settings to tweak the memory speed/voltage because, I'm guessing, the mobo is OEM and "locked". I'm a noob so pardon me if my terminology is wrong.

Is there anyway I can change the BIOS to a non-HP version that'll let me tweak the memory speed/volatge? Or do I just have to accept the BIOS HP feeds me?

Thanks very much.

Mondoman

Splendid
Sorry, in practice you're stuck with the HP BIOS, unless you can roll your own, or find an enthusiast who's already done so (unlikely). This is a typical problem with pre-built system MBs.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

Agree with all previous answers

No Chance

Sell it if you can and build your own system to your taste as everybody here is doing

Then play as much as you like with everything

:hello: :hello: :hello:

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
the only way to do this would be way too complicated and will probably ruin your motherboard. it's best just to leave it alone.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
You could replace the board, however, generally speaking, most big corps like dell/hp like to use custom connectors to the front of the computer case for power switches and stuff.

Be sure if you replace the board your computer case wont fight back!

Other than that, all the other parts should be compatible with the correct mobo if you do decide to switch it out.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
ACTUALLY, you CAN unlock the mobo.

However -

It requires some bubble gum, a silver bullet, some Hafnium, and a Puerto Rican fish boat.

If you're still interested, drop $5000 in small bills into locker B171 North Terminal at the Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. Mark the front of the locker with a white chalk line / to let me know the drop has been made. I'll contact you in 3 days 4 hours 15 minutes and 37 seconds and give you directions to the cave where I wrote the directions of how to unlock the mobo on the wall in crayon. You must hurry, as it will wash away at the first rain.

X

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
:lol:
This made my day... a bit better. MacGyver motherboard patchwork to the rescue.