Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

8800 gts 512 end of life

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 3, 2008 12:21:58 PM

Lets wait for the 4X series from Radeon to release and then decide.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 1:02:14 PM

focker said:
does anyone know when the 8800 gts 512 will be eol

End of Life? what do you mean by this? Didn't it just come out 6 months ago?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 1:49:04 PM

focker said:
does anyone know when the 8800 gts 512 will be eol
I'll answer that by another equally vague notion: when it no longer suits your needs. ;) 
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 2:10:54 PM

Zenthar said:
I'll answer that by another equally vague notion: when it no longer suits your needs. ;) 

I don't see that for at least a year.
April 3, 2008 2:26:04 PM

just wondering because they eoled the 8800 gts 320mb only nine months after they started making it. and they just came out with the nine series and it should be replaced by the 9800 gts with 3 way in late spring early summer
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 2:31:12 PM

focker said:
just wondering because they eoled the 8800 gts 320mb only nine months after they started making it. and they just came out with the nine series and it should be replaced by the 9800 gts with 3 way in late spring early summer

They had the 8800GTS 640 version much longer. I think they came out with the 320MB version to cater to individuals that couldn afford the 640 version. Then the 8800Gt came out and then eventually the GTS. I doubt the GTS version is going to be a big deal because they already have a 9800GTX version and you know they came make the 9800GTS version better than the GTX cousin. So why even bother. I think the 8800Gt/GTS have alot of life left in them. They are just going to package and relabel the g92 GPU and make tweak the clocks a little, but that is about it. the 9800 cards are a joke.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 2:31:28 PM

It might only mean they will stop manufacturing them, which is not a bad thing since there are much better cards now. It doesn't mean they will stop supporting them.
April 3, 2008 3:00:21 PM

Zenthar said:
It might only mean they will stop manufacturing them, which is not a bad thing since there are much better cards now. It doesn't mean they will stop supporting them.



For me, it is a bad thing. I bought an EVGA 8800GTS 512 on 1-1-08 and missed the step-up to a 9800GTX by ONE (1) day. So now the most cost effective solution for me to get an increase in performance will be to SLI my current card. So it would really suck if they become hard to find before I can afford to buy.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 3:14:30 PM

rallyimprezive said:
For me, it is a bad thing. I bought an EVGA 8800GTS 512 on 1-1-08 and missed the step-up to a 9800GTX by ONE (1) day. So now the most cost effective solution for me to get an increase in performance will be to SLI my current card. So it would really suck if they become hard to find before I can afford to buy.

There is not a huge difference between the GTS and GTX its the SAME gpu, shaders, etc. just higher clocks. You can overclock that GTS and basically make it a GTX
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 3:20:14 PM

Unless step-up would have been really cheap for you, you didn't miss much (it would cost me 45$ because of 35$ shipping so screw that). Moreover, before the 8800GTS becomes really hard to find, you will have to wait a couple of years ... you can still find 7600GT easily and it has been 2 years since launch.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 4:06:39 PM

I think the only realy difference in the GTX is that they use better RAM. I think the GTS ram doesnt clock much over 1000 and the GTS is clocked at 1100 stock. No bit WOOP!
April 3, 2008 9:04:32 PM

focker said:
does anyone know when the 8800 gts 512 will be eol


Christ! It was only released mid december 2007 and was rare (and ultra expensive) until the new year. Even by the accelerated obsolescence of IT products, to suggest it's eol is wrong.

I think the upcoming 9800GTS is this card just with a name change ( and 3 way SLI)so I can't see it going out of production until GT200 is up and running and will still be on sale by 2009.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 4, 2008 1:47:16 PM

You know the 9800GTX could have just been named "8800GTS 512MB Version 2.0"
April 10, 2008 8:21:41 PM

Quote:
does anyone know when the 8800 gts 512 will be eol



crusoe74 said:
Christ! It was only released mid december 2007 and was rare (and ultra expensive) until the new year. Even by the accelerated obsolescence of IT products, to suggest it's eol is wrong.

I think the upcoming 9800GTS is this card just with a name change ( and 3 way SLI)so I can't see it going out of production until GT200 is up and running and will still be on sale by 2009.


Well I was wrong.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Yes I know that Fudzilla hardly has the most correct information but I guess nVidia has been reading many forums and seen how everyone has slagged them off for bringing out the same card twice with large performance differences, and also the 9800GTX for it's lacklustre performance increase over what is currently their high end cards.

Something had to give. Oh well, I'm still chuffed to bits with my GTS 512.
April 10, 2008 9:37:10 PM

I purchased a 3850 last month, but I discovered that new egg has the 8800gts 320M on sale -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
With a 30 rebate, this puppy is only $115!!!!
So, before I plunk my money, is my 450 Watt power supply going to handle this new toaster?

Thanks!

April 10, 2008 10:05:22 PM

rhorwitz I what brand of psu is it. it only needs 25amps and 400 watts
with an e4500 non oc
ps have a 8800 gts320 for sale for 120$us xfx double lifetime warrenty hope there isnt a rule against selling on this forum but this thing is just
gathering dust
and I ran it on a kingwin abt-520 mm 520 watt 27 amp
April 10, 2008 10:20:46 PM

Focker,
It is an Athenatech- I assume it's a generic knock-off. My last experience with buying a named brand PSU was an Antec 450 watt supply which has intermittant issues during warm-up. I always enjoy getting what I pay for, but I didn't get my money's worth on this Antec.
April 10, 2008 10:31:46 PM

that should do it if you dont have a quadcore or more than two harddrives and an x6800 in there.
it says that,that psu puts out 320 watts on the 12 volt rail and 320 divided by 12 is 27 amps on the combined rails
that shuold power two harddrives and an x6800 and maybe a descrete sound card
April 10, 2008 10:50:42 PM

Focker,
I am curious on how they spec these power supplies. Some indicate a flat current rating for the 12 V, while others indicate a v1 and v2 that is sum of the total current of the 12 v rail. At first impression I thought that it might be two independant 12 v taps. If so, I would assume these would have been marked as such so that the builder could balance the load requirements between the two supply taps. Any comments?
April 11, 2008 12:01:39 AM

focker said:
does anyone know when the 8800 gts 512 will be eol

u do realize that the 9800gtx is the exact same core and similar configuration of the 8800GTS 512, right?

silly noobs, eat your Wheaties's and read!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 11, 2008 12:39:21 AM

EOL...if thats the case,I will sell both my BFG 8800 GTS G92 Cards...$400 gets them both
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 11, 2008 12:53:23 PM

kellytm3 said:
EOL...if thats the case,I will sell both my BFG 8800 GTS G92 Cards...$400 gets them both

Just because it will be EOL, doesn't mean it isnt an insanely great card. Nvidia needs to quit playing the tweak and rename game. the 8800GTS 512 should have been the 9800GTS, dummies.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2008 1:02:51 PM

jay2tall said:
Just because it will be EOL, doesn't mean it isnt an insanely great card. Nvidia needs to quit playing the tweak and rename game. the 8800GTS 512 should have been the 9800GTS, dummies.
Shhhhhht!!!!!!

@kellytm3
Since the cards are dead-ends, I'll give you 300$ for both and shipping is on you .... :p 
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 11, 2008 1:10:14 PM

Zenthar said:
Shhhhhht!!!!!!

@kellytm3
Since the cards are dead-ends, I'll give you 300$ for both and shipping is on you .... :p 

Shhhhhh... Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your game.


UHH ERRR! I MEAN THOSE GTS 512 CARDS ARE GOING TO BE DISCONTINUED. TIME TO SELL THEM CHEAP, to dilbert, AND GET A 9800 CARD THAT HAS SUPERIOR GRAPHICS AND OPTIONS.
April 11, 2008 7:24:51 PM

b/c mike rowe said so!

:D 
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 11, 2008 7:53:27 PM

FrozenGpu said:
b/c mike rowe said so!

:D 

EXACTLY!
November 6, 2009 7:05:31 PM

focker said:
does anyone know when the 8800 gts 512 will be eol


Turns out that 2 year estimate... not quite accurate. I built a semi-budget system from scratch over the summer of '08 and just recently went to get an 8800GTS 512MB to pair with the first one. All makes and models of the card are deactivated on newegg, the only online retailers selling them are shady looking establishments with crazy prices. I eventually got lucky and found someone selling theirs on ebay.
November 6, 2009 9:19:15 PM

Necro much? Its been over 18 months....
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 9:27:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!