Sign in with
Your question

Unreadable external Hard Disk

Last response: in Storage
May 12, 2009 6:49:44 AM

Could anyone give me some advice on repairing or recovering data from a HDD external hard drive. I pulled out the USB while transferring some files into it and now when i plug the usb of the external hard drive into the computer it says its corrupted or unreadable, and i get an option to format it, but i dont wanna lose the data in the hard drive. Also, i cant seem to safely remove the hard drive, it says the drive is in use. what should I do? is there any data recovery or repair program i can get?

May 12, 2009 3:53:52 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Tom's Hardware Forum related to section Storage by Justinblue
September 30, 2012 10:31:13 AM

CA bala said:
Could anyone give me some advice on repairing or recovering data from a HDD external hard drive. I pulled out the USB while transferring some files into it and now when i plug the usb of the external hard drive into the computer it says its corrupted or unreadable, and i get an option to format it, but i dont wanna lose the data in the hard drive. Also, i cant seem to safely remove the hard drive, it says the drive is in use. what should I do? is there any data recovery or repair program i can get?

try this one:

If you are under Windows operating system, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. In cmd window that appears type this:
chkdsk x: /f
(where x = drive letter associated with your external hard drive, and before x: and after x: there is a space)
and press Enter.
Command chkdsk (check disk) will correct errors and your external hard drive will be accessible again.
!