OC'ing in Linux

eladtan

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Hi,

I just got a new computer at work and it came with linux and I can't change the OS. The only info I've managed to figure out so far about the computer is that has an q9550 cpu and 8 gigs of ram. I'm interested in OC'ing it a bit since I run simulations on it and it would shorten the time. For a windows PC I know you need prime95,CPU-Z and coretemp and then tinker in the bios.

Are there any equivalent programs for linux??
Is the overclocking done exactly the same in the bios?

Elad

The Linux version of Prime95 is mPrime. I haven't yet found something smiler to CPUZ on Linux yet.

Linux has had a few effective temperature monitoring packages out there for the last few years. Although the knowledge and skill requirements to install and configure the software, someone who spends a little bit of time researching the packages and determining their needs should have little trouble getting the packages to work properly. Most of these packages require a recent release of the Linux kernel.

Second Generation Monitors:

* lm-sensors has the capability to detect, display and configure monitoring parameters for your Linux system.

* If you want to monitor many system resources at a glance, or control how the display of that data is provided, you might check into GKrellM. GKrellM is just a visual framework for the environmental control functions of Linux, so you will need to have previously install "lm-sensors" to get it fully functional.

* KSim is a package that combines the sensing capabilities of "lm-sensors" with the visual controls of "GKrellM". KSim is a plugin based system that lets you monitor and display only those components you feel are important.
http://www.tech-faq.com/monitor-cpu-temperature.shtml
Never used them myself, so don't know how accurate they are.

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
You can use dmidecode from the console. You must have root or sudo to run it.
It will display all the same CPU information that CPU-Z does in Windows.