Sign in with
Your question

Run button not workin help

Last response: in Windows XP
August 4, 2010 12:05:55 AM

Hello,i recently downloaded a game and it didnt work so i deleted it. when i went to uninstall the game it wouldt do anything. i restarted my computer and it was suddenlly gone. now my computer is acting weird. i want to restore my system but when i click on system restore it just pops up a blank screen. also my all programs button doesnt expand now and my run, search,and help and support are now just blank folders any thoughts??

More about : run button workin

August 4, 2010 12:19:56 AM

ok my run button on the start screen is not working. Instead of showing up as the regular run icon it show it as a blank folder. i need to use the run button to fix my system restore. someone please help me ............when i click on the run button it just says"Windows cannot create a shortcut here. would you like windows to create a shortcut on the desktop?" if i do that it just sends a blank folder to the desktop!!!!
m
l
August 4, 2010 12:40:52 AM

You can access the system restore from start-->programs-->accessories-->system tools-->system restore.

It sounds like you may have some registry corruption. You may want to download ccleaner, and run the registry tool. You may need to run it several times to fix all the issues.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 12:41:53 AM

This next topics has been merged by Aford10
  • NEED TO RESTORE MY SYSTEM!!!
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:42:56 AM

Ok, I didn't see that 2nd thread till now.

Try running the system restore from safe mode.
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:46:12 AM

aford10 said:
    You can access the system restore from start-->programs-->accessories-->system tools-->system restore.

It sounds like you may have some registry corruption. You may want to download ccleaner, and run the registry tool. You may need to run it several times to fix all the issues.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

the problem with that is when i open system restore it just opens a blank screen....ive tried everyway to get into the system restore but it just a blank screen. i dont know much about computers .....
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:51:19 AM

First, install the program in the link above. The problem may be simple registry problems.

If that doesn't solve it, we can attack this from another direction.
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:51:29 AM

aford10 said:
    Ok, I didn't see that 2nd thread till now.

Try running the system restore from safe mode.

i tried the safe mode already eariler i've been workin on this for about 3 hours now... and i have a reg cleaner its eusing reg cleaner i ran it and it says there are no more errors.......im gettin upset lol ty for helping
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:52:46 AM

ill try to use your reg cleaner just one min im downloading it
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:53:36 AM

It's a useful piece of software. It has a few other nice features besides the registry cleaner.
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:54:45 AM

where do i download it from file hippo??? i dont have money to pay for it if its not free
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:57:04 AM

It's free. You can download it from hippo or piriform. Both sites should be listed.
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 12:58:28 AM

ok i am downloading ty very much hope this works ...if not i mite just throw my computer off my balcony ..XD
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:01:31 AM

oh ya and another thing when i look for my system restore in the system folder its not there only internet explorer w/o add ons. i have to search my hard drive to find it ....
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:03:10 AM

This should be the location of the system restore.
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:11:49 AM

ok the cleaner didnt work cleaned up my computer but my system restore still doesnt work just pops up as a blank screen and. aford i have no idea what all that mumbo jumbo means XD
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:17:08 AM

Ok, restart the PC, and tap F8 on startup. Boot into safe mode with command prompt. When you get to the command line, type the following, and press enter.
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:33:58 AM

no luck it just brought up a blank window that said system restore on the top...same thing as when i go into system restore b4
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:44:11 AM

aford10 said:
    Ok, restart the PC, and tap F8 on startup. Boot into safe mode with command prompt. When you get to the command line, type the following, and press enter.

any other advice ...my computer doesnt work
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 1:58:59 AM

Do you have a windows disc?
    m
    l
    August 4, 2010 9:36:51 PM

no i dont have a windows disc
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:00:24 AM

aford10 said:
    Do you have a windows disc?

no any other suggestions ??
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:18:07 AM

Then you likely have a recovery partition?
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:24:21 AM

will this help me????EASEUS Partition Recovery Software
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:25:14 AM

aford10 said:
    Then you likely have a recovery partition?

its a free software ..
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:27:49 AM

Usually when you buy an OEM (gateway, HP, Dell) PC, they will come with either a recovery partition, or restore discs.

Did you have a D drive that was mostly full?
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:30:22 AM

aford10 said:
    Usually when you buy an OEM (gateway, HP, Dell) PC, they will come with either a recovery partition, or restore discs.

Did you have a D drive that was mostly full?

my d drive is my dvd player
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:33:12 AM

Download recuva, and see what it can recover. Though, without a windows disc or recovery partition, there's not much more you can do.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:38:40 AM

aford10 said:
    Download recuva, and see what it can recover. Though, without a windows disc or recovery partition, there's not much more you can do.

so basially your saying if this doesnt work im SOL ????
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:43:27 AM

aford10 said:

wow um it recovered over 15000 files
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:48:39 AM

aford10 said:

how do i kno wat files to recover ??
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 2:55:32 AM

To be safe, you should choose to recover anything it finds.
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:01:06 AM

aford10 said:
    To be safe, you should choose to recover anything it finds.

ok i tried to recovery eveything but when the screen pops up it says select location for recovery and its blank i push ok it does nothing...
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:02:32 AM

Can you browse to a location?
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:05:12 AM

aford10 said:
    Can you browse to a location?

no its just a blank screen with buttons that do nothin
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:08:36 AM

Try using EASEUS, and see if it gives better results.

However, yes, you may be SOL without a windows disc.
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:13:06 AM

aford10 said:
    Try using EASEUS, and see if it gives better results.

However, yes, you may be SOL without a windows disc.

ok well thank you for all your help i appreciate it alot. mite just have to geta new computer :cry: 
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:15:00 AM

If EASEUS doesn't work, you don't have to get a new PC. You just need to get a copy of XP. If you know someone that has a copy of your version, that will work to do a repair. If not, you just need to get a new XP disc. It's cheaper than a new PC. You just need to do a windows repair.
    m
    l
    August 5, 2010 3:22:44 AM

aford10 said:
    If EASEUS doesn't work, you don't have to get a new PC. You just need to get a copy of XP. If you know someone that has a copy of your version, that will work to do a repair. If not, you just need to get a new XP disc. It's cheaper than a new PC. You just need to do a windows repair.

so i just stick a xp disk in and it will load up everything for me? how do i repair it?
    m
    l
    Related resources
    !