e2160 Problem with Overclocking

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Hello all! I am new here on the forums and I have my first question for you all.

Problem: I have previously overclocked (successfully) an e2160 Intel processor to 3.10GHz, but recently I noticed under System Information, CPU-Z, and other random software, that Core 1 and Core 2 are running at 1.8GHz (default). I was just wondering what triggered this?

What have I done?: I have updated to latest BIOS, GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L, Version: F8b
I have also reformatted from Windows XP Professional SP2, to Windows Vista SP1. I have went into the BIOS, and what's funny is that I have the overclocking option to Enabled, It's at 3.1GHz (Well it says that.) It's almost like my problem is more like. . . the bios shows my processor overclocked, but then my windows and ALL software saying otherwise. Also, when I start up, i've noticed it says "200mhz x 9", I thought it was supposed to be 400mhz for dual core?

Computer Hardware Specifications:
Intel Dual Core e2160
Windows Vista Sp1
BFG GeForce 8600 GTS
2GB of Patriot Memory @ 4-4-4-12
500GB WesternDigital HDD

Side Notes: if you have any questions regarding my knowledge of computers, don't ask, I'm not a WIZ with computers, just know basic information.

if you want me to test out things, let me know also.

please, i want you to ask me questions! thanks!!

best regards

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
My first question is "Do you have Speed Step enabled?". Speed Step is something in the BIOS which lowers the multiplier to save power when the computer is in lite use, internet, office apps, etc.

The stock FSB for that chip is 200Mhz quad pumped (sends information 4 times per clock cycle) which makes it 800Mhz effective so the program reporting 200x9 is correct but it really should be more like 200x4x9, base speed x instructions per cycle x multiplier.

You can also check the BIOS again because sometimes when there is a boot error the BIOS reverts back to it's stock speeds.

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Well, i only have the basic knowledge here.. but i just enabled the FSB to 345mhz, made the system multiplier 2.4, and the voltage to auto adjust, oh and manual memory latency to 4-4-4-12

Mondoman

Splendid
Since most of us don't have your exact MB/BIOS, we don't know exactly what you are seeing. It will help us a lot if you can take photos of the BIOS screens and post them.

I suspect you are accidentally overclocking your RAM and the system detects the problem at turn-on, so the system is reverting to standard for bootup.

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I don't have a camera (I used my phone, which I broke, now I have a lame one) so I can't post any images :( I'll try to get a more detailed description of what my bios looks like tomorrow

Mondoman

Splendid
OK, then typing in all the exact wording on the screens would probably be enough. The first 2-3 BIOS pages and the "CIA" page (I think that's what Gigabyte calls it) should be the most important.

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
one quick note.

i went into the bios quickly, and disabled C1E, and EIST. . . the problem is still here. will post more information tomorrow for you!

bobwya

May 21, 2005

First off you may be a newbie but RTM!! I recently built up a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3 (no L) which will be similar also with a E2160. The manual for the motherboard was very clear about all the available powersaving settings in the BIOS. Difference is I read through it...

If the board cannot POST due to your overclock/BIOS settings it will appear to have a delayed POST. It then reboot at 1.8Ghz (stock) if it cannot POST due to an overclock. You will see that it will leave most settings in the BIOS but change a couple to stop your overclock (e.g. FSB change will be disabled - or something similar and voltages will be auto I think from memory). You should familiarise yourself with the difference between a fast regular boot and a slower boot where the BIOS settings are reset... Then you can go straight to the BIOS to re-enable the settings and tweak them before booting into Windows.

You want to take charge of the voltages (manual), set the FSB:RAM to 1:1 and slowly ramp up the FSB. Check whether your RAM needs more than stock voltage (1.8V) - e.g. OCZ ram we used need +0.3V to make 2.1V minimum. On my neighbours it did POST at 1.8V - lucky!! The BIOS will list the stock CPU voltage when you switch to manual - try not to go high as this is what shortens the life of the CPU!! Don't start at 3.1Ghz as you will probably need to change quite a few settings to get that high!!

Hope that helps. Good luck that a nice MB!

Bob

P.S. As a side note why the hell are you putting Vista on a rather anemic system? I would stick with Windows XP (SP3) on a low-end system like that... You aren't going to see any benefits from DX10 with a 8600 GTS!! Maybe if you had a 8800GTS G92, E4200/E7200 (+) and 4Gb RAM...

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
You're right about the system setup, Bob!

I will actually attempt this, it's just I'm a bit slow. I'm attempted overclocking before, but fried my motherboard. I'm just a bit curious, how EXACTLY may I do this?

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
OK. I am back with the images I thought I could never get, but my friend let me borrow his camera.

First, we have the INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS
integratedperipheralsyf4.jpg

Next we have the ADVANCED BIOS OPTIONS
advancedbiosfeatureswu9.jpg

The PC HEALTH STATUS
pchealthstatusba8.jpg

The POWER MANAGEMENT
powermanagementsetupbf8.jpg

OVERCLOCKING MENU (TOP SCREEN) - note: weird how it's 100x9.. default 900mhz?
overclockingmenu1fs9.jpg

OVERCLOCKING MENU (MIDDLE SCREEN)
overclockingmenu2mq1.jpg

AND THE LOWER OVERCLOCKING MENU SCREEN
overclockingmenu3dz1.jpg

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Wow thats running kinda warm, You should consider remounting your Heatsink and Fan, and using Arctic Silver 5. The Intel thermal paste on mine went from ok to no good so its possible yours has too. By the way radio shack carries it for $9.49(in most stores)

The settings I used on my 2160 were
CPU Clock Ratio= 9
CPU Host Clock Control=Enabled
CPU Host Frequency= 333
PCI Express Freq.=100
CIA 2=Disabled
PErformance Enhancement=Normal
System Memory Multiplier=2.40
System Voltage Control=Manual
All Voltages on normal except CPU
CPU Voltage Control= 1.425(if it becomes unstable and throws up a Blue screen error try raising to 1.500)

And could you post the model number for your ram? because the one i found on Patriots site @ 4-4-4-12 said voltage was 2.2, so the exact model # will help, because it may be undervolted.
It will look like this PDC22G6400LLK

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I'm using PDC22G6400LLK, yes.

I just tested your settings, and it did not work. It looks as though the ram worked, though.. said 480mhz on startup, however cpu remains at 1.80GHz when bios reads 3.0GHz. Note, before.. about a month ago, my pc was at 3.10GHz, working flawlessly, now it just wont overclock, yet it runs fine. (and to be honest, i hardly notice a performance drop!)

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Well if you are using that ram, then in voltages the DDR2 voltage needs to be +.4 which i guess COULD be the problem, i emphasize could because it defaults to 1.8 if left on manual with no changes

s1l3nced

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Are you sure about this? because I've never overclocked RAM before... and it always worked... now if i do this, will it become unstable? maybe fry anything?