Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I step-up 8800GTS 512 to 9800 GTX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 3, 2008 1:44:55 PM

As the title says...I have a evga 8800GTS 512 and am considering stepping up to the 9800GTX. It will only cost me about $40 including shipping both ways. I have read several reviews of the 9800GTX and am unsure if it is worth it to step up. I am having a hard time finding any real advantages but I don't won't to miss my only opportunity to step up since I only have a 28 more days to do so. I am also concerned since the 9800GTX uses 2 6pin PSU connections and my Corsair 620HX only has 2, so I don't see how I could go SLI with these cards if latter on I choose to. If anyone knows of any compelling reasons to step-up or to not do so I would appreciate your input.
April 3, 2008 3:01:43 PM

you'll get 3 frames per second more in crysis, but it looks like quite a bit more fps in everything else. i think i'd take the chance. maybe i'm crazy and don't have good supporting facts.
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 3:17:20 PM

$40 + shipping both ways? to me it isnt worth it. You get what? 675MHz vs 650? 2200MHZ ram instead of 1940MHZ?

You can overclock the GTS pretty high. I have mine at 750/1000. I might tweak with the ram a bit. I think the GTX might have the GTS in the ram speed department but really i dont think you will get a huge boost from it. Those benches are stock vs stock anways.
Related resources
April 3, 2008 3:47:23 PM

jay2tall said:
You get what? 675MHz vs 650? 2200MHZ ram instead of 1940MHZ?
Actually, the EVGA 8800GTS is 670MHz stock so he would mostly get RAM speed. Anyone know how far you can push the 8800GTS RAM alone?

I could have steped-up for 45$ and unless new facts come-up, I will not step-up for so little. The real gain with same driver versions seem to be only 2% on average so you actually get about 1 more FPS in Cysis.
April 3, 2008 4:10:47 PM

My charge for step up would be about $27 including shipping back to me plus about $10 to ship to them for a total of about $37. Zentahr brings up a very good point. All the benchies for the 9800gtx have been with a different and updated driver than what the 8800GTS was running when the comparisons were done. With both running the same driver I would think the performance difference would be less if not the same, but this is just my guess. I am really on the fence. Are there any other improvements over the 8800gts 512 that justify the step-up? Is the general consensus that it's not worth the cost, even if only $37?
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 4:11:40 PM

Zenthar said:
Actually, the EVGA 8800GTS is 670MHz stock so he would mostly get RAM speed. Anyone know how far you can push the 8800GTS RAM alone?

I could have steped-up for 45$ and unless new facts come-up, I will not step-up for so little. The real gain with same driver versions seem to be only 2% on average so you actually get about 1 more FPS in Cysis.

I believe the GTS memory isn't the greatest and you can get a little over 1000MHZ out of the stuff. I've seen 1050 max. The GTX, APPARENTLY, uses Samsung memory and is much better at higher clocks. Hence the 1100MHZ clock on them.
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 4:15:00 PM

Simple answer : NO the difference isnt noticeable
April 3, 2008 4:18:11 PM

Anyone know how I would even do SLI with 2 9800gtx's since they require 2 6pin connectors each and my PSU,Corsair 620HX, only has 2? And why I am hearing it uses less power when it requires 2 6pin connectors as compared to the 1 on the 8800GTS 512?
April 3, 2008 4:18:29 PM

carquote said:
All the benchies for the 9800gtx have been with a different and updated driver than what the 8800GTS was running when the comparisons were done. With both running the same driver I would think the performance difference would be less if not the same, but this is just my guess.
You can check my other thread on the matter and/or go directly to this review. I have no idea how the hell he got his RAM to 1100MHz ...
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 4:18:46 PM

Maziar said:
Simple answer : NO the difference isnt noticeable

What the heck kinda closed answer is that? Way to ruin the Thread! :D 
April 3, 2008 4:21:36 PM

no.i dont think it's worth..you pay extra $$ just for the 9 series name not the performance.
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 4:22:15 PM

Zenthar said:
You can check my other thread on the matter and/or go directly to this review. I have no idea how the hell he got his RAM to 1100MHz ...

VooDoo spells and a chicken foot?

I don't think I'd risk taking it that high when other HIGH CLOCKERS get 1050ish with theirs. And they volt Mod their cards and would pee on them if it would get 1 more MHz out of them.
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 4:25:11 PM

jay2tall said:
What the heck kinda closed answer is that? Way to ruin the Thread! :D 


:lol:  :lol:  :D 
April 3, 2008 4:39:01 PM

i wouldnt do that. the GTS is just fine. while the 9800GTX is more like overclocked version of the GTS (in my eyes).
April 3, 2008 4:40:33 PM

carquote said:
As the title says...I have a evga 8800GTS 512 and am considering stepping up to the 9800GTX. It will only cost me about $40 including shipping both ways. I have read several reviews of the 9800GTX and am unsure if it is worth it to step up. I am having a hard time finding any real advantages but I don't won't to miss my only opportunity to step up since I only have a 28 more days to do so. I am also concerned since the 9800GTX uses 2 6pin PSU connections and my Corsair 620HX only has 2, so I don't see how I could go SLI with these cards if latter on I choose to. If anyone knows of any compelling reasons to step-up or to not do so I would appreciate your input.


Alot (if not all reviews) of the 9800gtx use older drivers for the 8800gts 512mb, which inflates the gtx scores, apparently by quite alot in crysis and cod4, plus if you oc'd just the memory on your gts you would really close the gap on a gtx. If you do step up it seems like the new gtx has good oc abilities, but otherwise it barely seems like it's worth the hassle. Of course come the time you might want to sell your stepped-up-to 9800gtx in the future to buy a new card, you would get more cash from a 9800gtx than a 8800gts 512mb, so your $40 outlay would actually be less in the long run. Of course it all comes down to the time and hassle of it all. By the way, how does it work with the step-up programme? do you have to post off your old card and wait until they recieve it and confirm it works before they dispatch the newer one to you?

Cheers
April 3, 2008 4:45:16 PM

spoonboy said:
By the way, how does it work with the step-up programme? do you have to post off your old card and wait until they recieve it and confirm it works before they dispatch the newer one to you?
Exactly so you could be out of a video card for 1-2 weeks depending on shipping time.
April 3, 2008 4:49:29 PM

Thanks for the links Zenthar, very interesting and informative! So it appears tat using the same drivers and with a light overclock to the same specs as the 9800gtx the 8800gts 512 is actually superior in all but a few tests? How easy is it to get the 8800gts 512 to these clocks? Is it a given that all 8800gts 512's can achieve these clocks?
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 4:57:45 PM

carquote said:
Thanks for the links Zenthar, very interesting and informative! So it appears tat using the same drivers and with a light overclock to the same specs as the 9800gtx the 8800gts 512 is actually superior in all but a few tests? How easy is it to get the 8800gts 512 to these clocks? Is it a given that all 8800gts 512's can achieve these clocks?

My XFX GTS clocked to 750/1000 with no effort at all. I'm using Riva Tuner, because it's nice and has a OCD that shows me temp and FPS in games. I tried 800/1000 but had issues and never really had the desire to finely tweak the clocks. Just keep in mind it appears that each brand has a different auto fan setting. Some run hotter than others. Mine seems to stay around 40% fan and 50C at idle. I max out at about 65C with my OC. Some people set the fan profiles in Rivatuner but its a pain. You can bios flash it but i dont want to get to radical for .2 FPS

It's a walk in the park compared to OCing my old x1900xtx
April 3, 2008 5:08:00 PM

carquote said:
Thanks for the links Zenthar, very interesting and informative! So it appears tat using the same drivers and with a light overclock to the same specs as the 9800gtx the 8800gts 512 is actually superior in all but a few tests? How easy is it to get the 8800gts 512 to these clocks? Is it a given that all 8800gts 512's can achieve these clocks?
I don't think it is easy to get the 8800GTS's clocks to the same level as the 9800GTX, they probably modded their card and/or used insane cooling. For the GPU itself it will probably be easy, the issue will be the RAM. I've seen people OCing their GTS's RAM up to 1050Mhz at most, but never much more.

The 9800GTX is not the same as the 8800GTS; same GPU, but different manufacturing process (would be like saying a computer is the same as another based on CPU alone). But even if you are 2-3% lower than the 9800GTX it might not be worth the money or the trouble. Make the math here ... 3% of ~30 FPS is ~1FPS which is insignificant and 3% of 100FPS is 3FSP which won't be noticeable ...
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2008 5:17:15 PM

I saw some scattered info on other sites that Some GT and GTS boards have the Samsung memory and OC very well. The norm is some other brand that I forget what it is.
April 3, 2008 8:07:35 PM

do you have any gamer friends. you could brag about having the 9000 series, but that seems to be all you could do. you could buy a game with the $40.
April 4, 2008 4:28:17 AM

I'm still on the fence. Some reviews are saying the 9800 GTX is performing close to the GX2's... I still would love to know how sli works with these cards requiring 2 6 pin connections with a psu that only has 2 6 pins such as my Corsair 620HX. I need to decide soon!
April 4, 2008 5:09:28 AM

4 questions to ask yourself:

How much disposable money do I have?
How much does fps matter to me?
How sensitive am I to noise?
How much room is there is my case for it?

I would do it...

$40 isn't a lot of money, fps always matters, don't mind the roar while gaming and it will just fit in the case.

If you can tick all the box's do it, do it now.
April 4, 2008 5:17:16 AM

Totally not worth it. Wait for the real next gen of vid cards.
a b Î Nvidia
April 4, 2008 1:37:05 PM

My card Maxes COD4 at 1680X1050 with 60FPS... I don't care about anything else. All other games play just fine.

I rethought things and you know what? I am GLAD they have a 9800GTX now. Because it is the "top dog" and it drove down the price of the 8800GTS 512 down a little bit.

Granted the 9800GTX is $330 which REALLY still is half what the 8800GTX was when it came out. I think if I didnt get the 8800GTS a few months ago and I were to buy a card now, I'd get one just because it probably OCes like a Wild Banshee. But if you are on a budget, there are so many cards under it that perform pretty darn compatibly.
April 5, 2008 12:02:54 PM

Maximus_Delta said:
4 questions to ask yourself:

How much disposable money do I have?
How much does fps matter to me?
How sensitive am I to noise?
How much room is there is my case for it?

I would do it...

$40 isn't a lot of money, fps always matters, don't mind the roar while gaming and it will just fit in the case.

If you can tick all the box's do it, do it now.



1. Enough that $40 won't make or break me if his step-up is considered a good investment.
2. I don't upgrade often and plan on keeping this card for a few years. If a few more FPS mean I can extend the life
of my card then the 9800GTX may be good. But how much of a real world difference whis card will see seems
very small.
3. I am somewhat sensitive to noise, but not too much. I have a Tuniq Tower that's cranked up and pretty loud and
I have 3 case fans and am adding 3 more. I see some reviews say the 9800GTX's fan is loud and others say it is
quiet. How does it really compare to the 8800GTS 512's fan?
4. I have a coolermaster RC-690, which is a decent size. How much larger is the 9800GTX over the 8800GTS 512?

Does anyone know how sli works since this card requires 2 6pin connectors and my Corsair 620HX only comes with 2? This will way heavily on my decision since I will likely eventually go SLI. Would I have to buy 2 more 6pin connectors for my PSU? Could my PSU handle the SLI?

I also play at 1920x1200 res. so I am not sure if the 9800GTX has any real advantage over the 8800GTS 512 in that regard since they both use the same amount of RAM.
a b Î Nvidia
April 5, 2008 1:00:00 PM

xbitlabs recent 9800GX2 review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/zotac-98...

lows:
Performs at the level of Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB without software SLI support;
Suffers from all the issues typical of contemporary multi-GPU platforms;
Doesn’t support multi-monitor configurations in SLI mode;
High power consumption;
High heat dissipation;
High level of generated noise;
Large size;
Heavy weight;
High price.
April 5, 2008 1:04:07 PM

That is one of the only negative reviews I have read. This one seems to praise the 9800GTX:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/01/nvidia_geforce_9...

Is the difference just the overclock on the 9800GTX over the 880oGTS 512 and the 9800GTX have the newer drivers in these reviews? Can the 8800GTS 512 be easily overclocked to the sam speeds as the 9800GTX and if so , will the 9800GTX at stock speeds run cooler than the 8800GTS 512 overlcocked to the same speeds?
April 5, 2008 1:12:38 PM

Maziar said:
xbitlabs recent 9800GX2 review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/zotac-98...

lows:
Performs at the level of Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB without software SLI support;
Suffers from all the issues typical of contemporary multi-GPU platforms;
Doesn’t support multi-monitor configurations in SLI mode;
High power consumption;
High heat dissipation;
High level of generated noise;
Large size;
Heavy weight;
High price.



Just noticed that review is of the 9800GX2 not the GTX.
April 5, 2008 1:24:06 PM

From the Tom's Hardware Review of the 9800GTX:

"The performance is also good enough to put the 8800 GTS 512 MB out of the running, with a little surprise: Despite an identical GPU and similar throughputs (+4% in the raw-processing-power department, +13% for memory bandwidth), the gain in actual gaming is sometimes as much as 40% (average 13%). That's because the GeForce 8 drivers were older at the time of our test, and will catch up when Nvidia finally gets around to updating them (a beta version of ForceWare 174.74 has just been released)."

So there was up to a 40% difference based solely on the overclock and drivers? We need to see a comparison review with the same drivers and the 8800GTS 512 overclocked to match the 9800GTX.
April 5, 2008 1:25:49 PM

carquote said:
That is one of the only negative reviews I have read. This one seems to praise the 9800GTX:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/01/nvidia_geforce_9...

Is the difference just the overclock on the 9800GTX over the 880oGTS 512 and the 9800GTX have the newer drivers in these reviews? Can the 8800GTS 512 be easily overclocked to the sam speeds as the 9800GTX and if so , will the 9800GTX at stock speeds run cooler than the 8800GTS 512 overlcocked to the same speeds?

This is just to answer your questions, DONT buy the 9800GTX , OK, The GTX isnt overclocked, its just a lil faster at stock. The GTX stock will run cooler than a GTS overclocked.
April 5, 2008 1:48:13 PM

carquote said:
As the title says...I have a evga 8800GTS 512 and am considering stepping up to the 9800GTX. It will only cost me about $40 including shipping both ways. I have read several reviews of the 9800GTX and am unsure if it is worth it to step up. I am having a hard time finding any real advantages but I don't won't to miss my only opportunity to step up since I only have a 28 more days to do so. I am also concerned since the 9800GTX uses 2 6pin PSU connections and my Corsair 620HX only has 2, so I don't see how I could go SLI with these cards if latter on I choose to. If anyone knows of any compelling reasons to step-up or to not do so I would appreciate your input.


Heh yeah get it why not - BRAGING RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT ME I HAVE A REBADGED GEFORCE8

Wait for the GT100
April 5, 2008 1:54:41 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
This is just to answer your questions, DONT buy the 9800GTX , OK, The GTX isnt overclocked, its just a lil faster at stock. The GTX stock will run cooler than a GTS overclocked.


If the 8800GTS 512 must be overclocked to reach the stock speed of the 9800GTX and as a result of that overlcoking will run warmer than the 9800GTX why would it not be recommended? Also, if the 9800GTX is not overclcked in these tests, if it was overclocked wouldn't it be much faster than a stock 8800GTS and still cooler than an overclocked 8800GTS 512, as I hear the 9800GTX's run cooler? Thanks!
April 5, 2008 2:07:06 PM

Its on par or a lil better than the GTS, and itll oclock a lil better, has a bit better ram, but is it worth the money? For maybe 5% performance gains? Thats up to you
a b Î Nvidia
April 5, 2008 2:53:43 PM

carquote said:
Just noticed that review is of the 9800GX2 not the GTX.


Yeah sorry :D 
April 5, 2008 2:53:55 PM

its worth it upgrade to 9800GTX because you get faster memory.the memory use in the GTS only rate at 2000mhz.but the GTX is rated at 2400mhz.and just stock you can overclock the memory to 2000mhz without volt mod.but the gtx standard at 2400 but nvidia underclock it to 2200mhz.
April 5, 2008 3:34:37 PM

Just want to make sure I understand...The 9800GTX is 2200mhz stock and can be overclocked to 2400mhz whereas the GTS is 2000mhz stock and can be overclocksed to 2400mhzm both without any volt mod. How much of a real world difference is the 200mhz? If Nvidia underclocked the GTX to 2200mhz couldn't it probably clock higher than 2400mhz?
April 5, 2008 5:21:24 PM

the 8800GTS CANNOT overclock to 2400 with the memory that its got.but the 9800GTX can!!!
April 5, 2008 5:40:57 PM

I didnt see that this is a step up, that makes a huge difference, it mat well be worth a step up. Only $40? I say go for it, and sorry for not reading entire post
April 5, 2008 6:01:34 PM

it makes sense just to step up for that little cost.its not like back then when the GTS320 have massive gap between the 8800GTX!
April 5, 2008 6:04:16 PM

I had two G92 GTS which i sold and bought two 9800GTX's. I can tell you without a doubt that the GTX is the faster card. And you really cannot beat the price. Not only do they score better in 3DM06, but game play is better also,and the graphics are too. I have the two GTX's in my 2nd rig. I would say in a week or two the price will drop to $299.99, just like the did with the 9800GX2. I bought two at 5am the frist morning they came out, and a week laterv they were down from $599.99 to $559.99. Go with the 9800GTX you will not be sorry you did. Listen to people that own them, not people that bitch about everything lol Everyone has their own opinion, but owners of the card can tell you what the true performance is. Almost every review i read on a single 9800GTX has them scoring in the 14,000 range in 3DM06. I removed one card and ran 3DM06 and scored 15,992 which is better than any review i read, and that was at stock settings. My two G92 GTS in SLI scored 17,322. My 9800 GTX's score 18,987. But you also need to understand that my builds are highend with 8Gbs of memory, and QX9650s but i run them at stock speed when testing. [3GHz]
April 5, 2008 7:00:12 PM

I would go with the 9800gtx. Nvidias upcoming drivers should make the 9800gtx the better long term option. You can always sell your 9800gtx too since it will definitely be worth more $$$.
April 5, 2008 7:04:56 PM

human just going through continuous upgrading dont they?lol
April 5, 2008 7:05:57 PM

i cant imagine myself getting old and use a dual core OEM build desktop with intergrate graphics!lol
a b Î Nvidia
April 5, 2008 7:41:33 PM

If this would be the only vga card, then why not step up? It will be somewhat faster, by an unknown number. The card is longer(10.5" vs.9"), but should fit in any largish case.

However, since sli is in the plans, I would stick with the gts. A second card will be cheaper, and you will need only two pci-e connectors instead of 4, and your psu will not have to be upgraded.
April 5, 2008 7:53:17 PM

if sli is your goal then yes if not you really don't need it

The to 9800 will scale much better in sli and in the future. The 8800gts will not scale as well. If you woulnd need to upgrade your powersupply though then don't worry about the 9800 just stick with the 8800 and youw ill be fine. I still wish these cards had more vram though.
April 6, 2008 3:35:46 AM

I'm not positive I will ever go SLI, but since I don't really upgrade frequently at all I'm just thinking that I may add a second card in a year or 2 depending on how well I can still play games. I'm also wondering if the 9800GTX will help out since I play at 1920x1200 res. I guess if I just decide to sell the card and buy a new one in a few years, I might get a little more for the 9800GTX or will enjoy a slight performance increase over it in the meantime. Could my Corsair 620HX handle SLI with 2 9800GTX's and how does it work using 4 6 pin connectors when my PSU only came with 2 6pin connectors?
April 6, 2008 5:07:00 AM

For 40 bucks I would do it, but then again I'm a computer addict. If you asked a crack addict if they would buy $40.00 more crack if they had the money, what do think they would say? Computer addiction aside, I would get it for 40 bucks.
!