Arranging Palm To-Do's?

June 30, 2004 12:01:18 PM

Is there a way to arrange the to-do's within each priority on Palm's
To-Do List?

I have a Palm m130 and Palm Desktop 4.2.1 for Mac.

I also have so many to-do's that each priority level has become
meaningless.

George Victor

--
To email, remove the PLUG from my address.

More about : arranging palm

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:15:26 PM

Saler wrote:

> Is there a way to arrange the to-do's within each priority on Palm's
> To-Do List?
>
> I have a Palm m130 and Palm Desktop 4.2.1 for Mac.
>
> I also have so many to-do's that each priority level has become
> meaningless.
>
> George Victor

I read your message 3 times, but it's still not clear to me what you are
trying to do. Are you trying to get a second level of priorities? One that
extends the 1..5 range? Have you considered setting end dates for your ToDo
entries?
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 10:26:37 PM

In article <cbuast$2ofn$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy S Schestowitz
<roy-dot-schestowitz-at-isbe-dot-man-dot-ac-dot-uk@use-address-before-at.
com> wrote:

> Saler wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to arrange the to-do's within each priority on Palm's
> > To-Do List?
> >
> > I have a Palm m130 and Palm Desktop 4.2.1 for Mac.
> >
> > I also have so many to-do's that each priority level has become
> > meaningless.
> >
> > George Victor
>
> I read your message 3 times, but it's still not clear to me what you are
> trying to do. Are you trying to get a second level of priorities? One that
> extends the 1..5 range? Have you considered setting end dates for your ToDo
> entries?

Roy,

In any given priority (1-5) the Palm software arranges the entries
according to its own whims. It arranges new entries at the bottom of a
priority on my Palm, and it mixes new entries with previous entries on
my Mac.

Most importantly, I'd like to arrange Priority 1 entries (in each
category) according to my own priorities, which tend to change from day
to day. So, at the end of each day, I'd like to be able to drag the
current highest priority To-Do entries to the top of the Priority 1
list.

I thought that setting end dates might be the solution, but according
to the user's guide, doing that would litter my date book with hundreds
of date entries, and that sounds like a royal mess.

I'm baffled that the Palm To-Do software doesn't offer such a basic and
simple feature.

George

--
To email, remove the PLUG from my address.
July 1, 2004 12:06:25 AM

"Saler" <saler@earthlink.netPLUG> wrote in message
> In article <cbuast$2ofn$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy S Schestowitz
> <roy-dot-schestowitz-at-isbe-dot-man-dot-ac-dot-uk@use-address-before-at.
> com> wrote:
>
> > Saler wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to arrange the to-do's within each priority on Palm's
> > > To-Do List?
> > >
> > > I have a Palm m130 and Palm Desktop 4.2.1 for Mac.
> > >
> > > I also have so many to-do's that each priority level has become
> > > meaningless.
> > >
> > > George Victor
> >
> > I read your message 3 times, but it's still not clear to me what you are
> > trying to do. Are you trying to get a second level of priorities? One
that
> > extends the 1..5 range? Have you considered setting end dates for your
ToDo
> > entries?

It didn't make much sense to me, at first, but then...

> In any given priority (1-5) the Palm software arranges the entries
> according to its own whims. It arranges new entries at the bottom of a
> priority on my Palm, and it mixes new entries with previous entries on
> my Mac.

Yes, it's very annoying, that! Unfortunately, there's no way to do this
within PalmOS itself, however....

> Most importantly, I'd like to arrange Priority 1 entries (in each
> category) according to my own priorities, which tend to change from day
> to day. So, at the end of each day, I'd like to be able to drag the
> current highest priority To-Do entries to the top of the Priority 1
> list.
>
> I thought that setting end dates might be the solution, but according
> to the user's guide, doing that would litter my date book with hundreds
> of date entries, and that sounds like a royal mess.
>
> I'm baffled that the Palm To-Do software doesn't offer such a basic and
> simple feature.

Do you use categories? The disadvantage of this is that your Mac software
may end up changing their order.

But you could use categories for various priorities?

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Saler <saler@earthlink.netplug> wrote:
> Most importantly, I'd like to arrange Priority 1 entries (in each
> category) according to my own priorities, which tend to change from
> day to day. So, at the end of each day, I'd like to be able to drag
> the current highest priority To-Do entries to the top of the
> Priority 1 list.

Throw away the standard todo stuff and get a enhanced hierarchical
notepad and project planning application, e.g. ShadowPlan
<http://www.codejedi.com&gt; to maintain your ToDo stuff. There are a
tons of methods available to sort, filter, tag and arrange stuff,
check off items, set percentage done, start and due dates etc.

Regards,

Guido
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 11:09:15 AM

In article <7gobr1-3j4.ln1@320076385420-0001.dialin.t-online.de>, Guido
Ostkamp <gueltig-bis-30-06-2004@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> Saler <saler@earthlink.netplug> wrote:
> > Most importantly, I'd like to arrange Priority 1 entries (in each
> > category) according to my own priorities, which tend to change from
> > day to day. So, at the end of each day, I'd like to be able to drag
> > the current highest priority To-Do entries to the top of the
> > Priority 1 list.
>
> Throw away the standard todo stuff and get a enhanced hierarchical
> notepad and project planning application, e.g. ShadowPlan
> <http://www.codejedi.com&gt; to maintain your ToDo stuff. There are a
> tons of methods available to sort, filter, tag and arrange stuff,
> check off items, set percentage done, start and due dates etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Guido

Thanks, Guido, ... that's a pretty nifty program, and the price is
nice. I'll get a copy as soon as I upgrade to Mac OS X.

George

--
To email, remove the PLUG from my address.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 11:27:14 AM

In article <2kgh9iF24v4hU1@uni-berlin.de>, DervMan
<dervman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Saler" <saler@earthlink.netPLUG> wrote in message
> > In article <cbuast$2ofn$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy S Schestowitz
> > <roy-dot-schestowitz-at-isbe-dot-man-dot-ac-dot-uk@use-address-before-at.
> > com> wrote:

> > > I read your message 3 times, but it's still not clear to me what you are
> > > trying to do. Are you trying to get a second level of priorities? One
> that
> > > extends the 1..5 range? Have you considered setting end dates for your
> ToDo
> > > entries?
>
> It didn't make much sense to me, at first, but then...
>
> > In any given priority (1-5) the Palm software arranges the entries
> > according to its own whims. It arranges new entries at the bottom of a
> > priority on my Palm, and it mixes new entries with previous entries on
> > my Mac.
>
> Yes, it's very annoying, that! Unfortunately, there's no way to do this
> within PalmOS itself, however....
>
> > Most importantly, I'd like to arrange Priority 1 entries (in each
> > category) according to my own priorities, which tend to change from day
> > to day. So, at the end of each day, I'd like to be able to drag the
> > current highest priority To-Do entries to the top of the Priority 1
> > list.
> >
> > I thought that setting end dates might be the solution, but according
> > to the user's guide, doing that would litter my date book with hundreds
> > of date entries, and that sounds like a royal mess.
> >
> > I'm baffled that the Palm To-Do software doesn't offer such a basic and
> > simple feature.
>
> Do you use categories? The disadvantage of this is that your Mac software
> may end up changing their order.
>
> But you could use categories for various priorities?

I have 13 categories with dozens of to-do's each, stretched across the
five priorities. The five priorites are good for general organization,
but when there are too many entries in Priority 1, the to-do's become
disorganized and increasingly useless.

It just chaps my hide that Palm didn't provide such a simple, basic,
and very valuable feature as drag and drop to-do entries.

--
To email, remove the PLUG from my address.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 3:57:32 PM

Saler wrote:

> I have 13 categories with dozens of to-do's each, stretched across the
> five priorities. The five priorites are good for general organization,
> but when there are too many entries in Priority 1, the to-do's become
> disorganized and increasingly useless.
>
> It just chaps my hide that Palm didn't provide such a simple, basic,
> and very valuable feature as drag and drop to-do entries.

I use due dates to overcome that artificially....

Roy
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:09:58 AM

> In article <2kgh9iF24v4hU1@uni-berlin.de>, DervMan
> <dervman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Saler" <saler@earthlink.netPLUG> wrote in message
> > > In article <cbuast$2ofn$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy S Schestowitz

<roy-dot-schestowitz-at-isbe-dot-man-dot-ac-dot-uk@use-address-before-at.

Palm's

One
> > that
> > ToDo
> >
> > It didn't make much sense to me, at first, but then...
> >
> > > In any given priority (1-5) the Palm software arranges the entries
> > > according to its own whims. It arranges new entries at the bottom of a
> > > priority on my Palm, and it mixes new entries with previous entries on
> > > my Mac.
> >
> > Yes, it's very annoying, that! Unfortunately, there's no way to do this
> > within PalmOS itself, however....
> >
> > > Most importantly, I'd like to arrange Priority 1 entries (in each
> > > category) according to my own priorities, which tend to change from
day
> > > to day. So, at the end of each day, I'd like to be able to drag the
> > > current highest priority To-Do entries to the top of the Priority 1
> > > list.
> > >
> > > I thought that setting end dates might be the solution, but according
> > > to the user's guide, doing that would litter my date book with
hundreds
> > > of date entries, and that sounds like a royal mess.
> > >
> > > I'm baffled that the Palm To-Do software doesn't offer such a basic
and
> > > simple feature.
> >
> > Do you use categories? The disadvantage of this is that your Mac
software
> > may end up changing their order.
> >
> > But you could use categories for various priorities?
>
> I have 13 categories with dozens of to-do's each, stretched across the
> five priorities. The five priorites are good for general organization,
> but when there are too many entries in Priority 1, the to-do's become
> disorganized and increasingly useless.
>
> It just chaps my hide that Palm didn't provide such a simple, basic,
> and very valuable feature as drag and drop to-do entries.

Yes, I know what you mean! :)  However, whenever one of my PDAs does
something that drives me bananas, I merely calm myself down and think, "now
then, I only have this problem because it does something so well..."

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution, at least not that I can think of.
Although perhaps changing due dates may work?

--
The DervMan
www.pda.dervman.com

DervMan wrote:

> Yes, I know what you mean! :)  However, whenever one of my PDAs does
> something that drives me bananas, I merely calm myself down and think,
> "now then, I only have this problem because it does something so well..."
>
> Unfortunately, there's no easy solution, at least not that I can think of.
> Although perhaps changing due dates may work?

Or further sub-categorised.

-I tend to split whenever the category is not viewable in one screen.
-I stick to just one line. The rest spills over to the attachment/note
(whatever the stroke A is).

Roy
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 8:13:00 AM

In article <cc2nab$23ub$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy S Schestowitz
com> wrote:

> DervMan wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know what you mean! :)  However, whenever one of my PDAs does
> > something that drives me bananas, I merely calm myself down and think,
> > "now then, I only have this problem because it does something so well..."
> >
> > Unfortunately, there's no easy solution, at least not that I can think of.
> > Although perhaps changing due dates may work?
>

> Or further sub-categorised.
>
> -I tend to split whenever the category is not viewable in one screen.
> -I stick to just one line. The rest spills over to the attachment/note
> (whatever the stroke A is).
>
> Roy

My Palm OS 4.1 only allows 15 To-Do categories, which isn't enough for
me, so no chance of sub-categorizing here.

--
To email, remove the PLUG from my address.
!