Will 2 identical NV 8800GT or 9600GT function on a P35 MoBo

zhouhenry

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
will buy q6600, Giga EP35-DS3p or DS4, 2x2GB DDR2 800, 500GB Harddisk

it already costs a lot. I plan to buy a TFT 17 from ebay as well as a GPU card.

My question is P35 Mobo support crossfire, but not SLI. and 8800GT is currently the best choice for me(9600GT with 128 stream pro is too expensive for me,even on EBAY)

So comes the question as the thread. If I buy another GPU card with identical GPU and Memories for SLI purpose. Is it possible( i dont wanna install hacked mobo driver)

No, as you already stated, SLI is not supported by the motherboard. If you want to run SLI you need to get a NVidia Nforce motherboard with dual PCI-e slots.

If you want the option to run dual cards on the P35, get an HD3870 which you can crossfire later on on the motherboard.

Did I understand your question correctly? I seem to be having trouble doing that lately......

zhouhenry

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
yes. OK. currently video card market confused me a lot. I had believed that 9600GT is better and more expensive than 8800GT unitl last Saturday. In a local electronic shop, some 9600GT is 159 Euro(I am in Germany) and other 8800GT also the similar prices, shocking me. I may try to improve the performance by buy a 2nd gpu card, in this case, i will change my mind, focus on AIT 3870, buy a bargain one first.

The main goal to DIY a new PC system is to do scientific calculation like Finite Element Analysis or so. Game is my 2nd target.

I don't think I understand the question either because you state so many facts that is a little confusing. So here it goes.

Yes, P35 supports Crossfire not SLI.
Yes, You can install 2 8800gt or 9600gt cards on a P35 mobo
No, you can not run then in SLI
Yes, you can run 2 cards independently without sli
WHY? would you do that with a gaming card?