My monitor connector does not fit into my computer

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I have one monitor and it works fine on my Geforce 8800 GTS. I got a second monitor but the connection is different. It does not fit into my DVI port. There is also another wire coming off the monitor cable, a green cable that fits into like a single hole.

Why is this monitor connection different? I thought all monitors had the same cable connection.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
actually theres several types of connectors out there, DVI is a comparatively recent type of port many monitors out there still use a VGA port, most graphics cards that Ive brought come with a DVI - VGA adapter that you can use for these monitors. The green cable may be an audio jack for built in speakers?

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
The cable coming out from the monitor will not remove. It looks like its built in.

How can i replace the cable and put a DVI cable in it instead? Or is it not possible with some monitors?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Most vid cards come with an adaptor for DVI to VGA. Sounds like you need one, they are cheap. The green cable, is it a MINI stereo connector? The monitor has built in speakers?

No It doesn't. I know I have one. It came with the card, driver disk, and Company of Heroes Game.

The adapter they are talking about is one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201
My last card game with 2 of them, If you know a buddy who has a gaming card he probably has one or two. Maybe you can steal one of them. Other wise just go to a computer store and tell them you need a VGA to DVI adapter.

The green plug is for your built in speakers. Maybe a mic but they are usually pink or red.

The reason the plug is different is because your monitor uses a 15-pin VGA connection, this uses an Analog signal. The plugs on your video card are DVI connectors, these use a Digital signal.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
alternatively to the little adapter, you can buy a cable with 1 end DVI and the other end VGA, the quality is no different, but you end up with a full cable instead, depending if the monitor cable is removable from the monitor

Why are people soooo clueless. Maybe you should have looked for the box BEFORE posting on THG. Ever hear of a thing called research? Google? Manufacturers website??
Imagine the possibilities if people used their brains.
But That's what Forums are for. You don't have to search, you post a question and Forum Rats flock to it and answer.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Why are people soooo clueless. Maybe you should have looked for the box BEFORE posting on THG. Ever hear of a thing called research? Google? Manufacturers website??
Imagine the possibilities if people used their brains.

Imagine the possibilities if people were prepared to be just a little more helpful, friendly and polite... :lol:

Mind you I remember being caught out when we moved from 9 pin to 15 pin plugs a few years ago :lol: Of course that was before google, before internet explorer and before the "web" really took off

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

RS232, ha! I found a ISA card with a 9-pin serial connection in the "bone yard" at work. I restrained from laughing.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

It was the same sort of D-sub 9 pin connector I think the PC end was opposite gender to the rs232 serial port (from memory but it was a long time ago), but the data wasnt RS232 protocol and the wiring wasnt RS232 wiring (sadly back then I could make up a serial cable 9-25 pin etc from memory :lol: )