My monitor connector does not fit into my computer

I have one monitor and it works fine on my Geforce 8800 GTS. I got a second monitor but the connection is different. It does not fit into my DVI port. There is also another wire coming off the monitor cable, a green cable that fits into like a single hole.

Why is this monitor connection different? I thought all monitors had the same cable connection.
15 answers Last reply
More about monitor connector computer
  1. Just take it to a computer store and show them, they will hook you up with an adapter for less than $10.
  2. actually theres several types of connectors out there, DVI is a comparatively recent type of port many monitors out there still use a VGA port, most graphics cards that Ive brought come with a DVI - VGA adapter that you can use for these monitors. The green cable may be an audio jack for built in speakers?
  3. The cable coming out from the monitor will not remove. It looks like its built in.

How can i replace the cable and put a DVI cable in it instead? Or is it not possible with some monitors?
  4. Most vid cards come with an adaptor for DVI to VGA. Sounds like you need one, they are cheap. The green cable, is it a MINI stereo connector? The monitor has built in speakers?
  5. I will have to look for my graphics card box. Does anybody know if the XFX GeForce 8800 GTS comes with a DVI to VGA connector?

If it does not, do i need to buy this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/57627 ?
  6. Dunno, did you go to their website yet? Look it up?
  7. It might help things along if we knew what the second monitor was (make/model).

-Wolf sends
  8. Bidybag, yes the XFX GeForce 8800 GTS does come with a DVI to VGA adapter.

Edit: At least according to Newegg's website the adapter is in the package.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150261
  9. cookin said:
    Bidybag, yes the XFX GeForce 8800 GTS does come with a DVI to VGA adaptor.

No It doesn't. I know I have one. It came with the card, driver disk, and Company of Heroes Game.

Anonymous said:
    I have one monitor and it works fine on my Geforce 8800 GTS. I got a second monitor but the connection is different. It does not fit into my DVI port. There is also another wire coming off the monitor cable, a green cable that fits into like a single hole.

Why is this monitor connection different? I thought all monitors had the same cable connection.

The adapter they are talking about is one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201
    My last card game with 2 of them, If you know a buddy who has a gaming card he probably has one or two. Maybe you can steal one of them. Other wise just go to a computer store and tell them you need a VGA to DVI adapter.

The green plug is for your built in speakers. Maybe a mic but they are usually pink or red.

The reason the plug is different is because your monitor uses a 15-pin VGA connection, this uses an Analog signal. The plugs on your video card are DVI connectors, these use a Digital signal.
  10. alternatively to the little adapter, you can buy a cable with 1 end DVI and the other end VGA, the quality is no different, but you end up with a full cable instead, depending if the monitor cable is removable from the monitor
  11. Quote:
    Why are people soooo clueless. Maybe you should have looked for the box BEFORE posting on THG. Ever hear of a thing called research? Google? Manufacturers website??
    Imagine the possibilities if people used their brains.

But That's what Forums are for. You don't have to search, you post a question and Forum Rats flock to it and answer.
  12. Quote:
    Why are people soooo clueless. Maybe you should have looked for the box BEFORE posting on THG. Ever hear of a thing called research? Google? Manufacturers website??
    Imagine the possibilities if people used their brains.

Imagine the possibilities if people were prepared to be just a little more helpful, friendly and polite... :lol:

Mind you I remember being caught out when we moved from 9 pin to 15 pin plugs a few years ago :lol: Of course that was before google, before internet explorer and before the "web" really took off
  13. dtq said:
    Imagine the possibilities if people were prepared to be just a little more helpful, friendly and polite... :lol:

Mind you I remember being caught out when we moved from 9 pin to 15 pin plugs a few years ago :lol: Of course that was before google, before internet explorer and before the "web" really took off

RS232, ha! I found a ISA card with a 9-pin serial connection in the "bone yard" at work. I restrained from laughing.
  14. KyleSTL said:
    RS232, ha! I found a ISA card with a 9-pin serial connection in the "bone yard" at work. I restrained from laughing.

It was the same sort of D-sub 9 pin connector I think the PC end was opposite gender to the rs232 serial port (from memory but it was a long time ago), but the data wasnt RS232 protocol and the wiring wasnt RS232 wiring (sadly back then I could make up a serial cable 9-25 pin etc from memory :lol: )
  15. Whats possibly worse than that is that at the time I was fluent in VT terminal commands as well...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Connection Monitors Cable Graphics