Sign in with
Your question

My monitor connector does not fit into my computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2008 1:57:05 PM

I have one monitor and it works fine on my Geforce 8800 GTS. I got a second monitor but the connection is different. It does not fit into my DVI port. There is also another wire coming off the monitor cable, a green cable that fits into like a single hole.

Why is this monitor connection different? I thought all monitors had the same cable connection.

More about : monitor connector fit computer

April 3, 2008 2:09:06 PM

Just take it to a computer store and show them, they will hook you up with an adapter for less than $10.
April 3, 2008 2:11:15 PM

actually theres several types of connectors out there, DVI is a comparatively recent type of port many monitors out there still use a VGA port, most graphics cards that Ive brought come with a DVI - VGA adapter that you can use for these monitors. The green cable may be an audio jack for built in speakers?
Related resources
April 3, 2008 2:14:44 PM

The cable coming out from the monitor will not remove. It looks like its built in.

How can i replace the cable and put a DVI cable in it instead? Or is it not possible with some monitors?
April 3, 2008 2:20:59 PM

Most vid cards come with an adaptor for DVI to VGA. Sounds like you need one, they are cheap. The green cable, is it a MINI stereo connector? The monitor has built in speakers?
April 3, 2008 2:32:40 PM

I will have to look for my graphics card box. Does anybody know if the XFX GeForce 8800 GTS comes with a DVI to VGA connector?

If it does not, do i need to buy this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/57627 ?
April 3, 2008 2:40:42 PM

Dunno, did you go to their website yet? Look it up?
a c 159 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2008 3:52:50 PM

It might help things along if we knew what the second monitor was (make/model).

-Wolf sends
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2008 4:48:07 PM

cookin said:
Bidybag, yes the XFX GeForce 8800 GTS does come with a DVI to VGA adaptor.

No It doesn't. I know I have one. It came with the card, driver disk, and Company of Heroes Game.

Bidybag said:
I have one monitor and it works fine on my Geforce 8800 GTS. I got a second monitor but the connection is different. It does not fit into my DVI port. There is also another wire coming off the monitor cable, a green cable that fits into like a single hole.

Why is this monitor connection different? I thought all monitors had the same cable connection.

The adapter they are talking about is one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My last card game with 2 of them, If you know a buddy who has a gaming card he probably has one or two. Maybe you can steal one of them. Other wise just go to a computer store and tell them you need a VGA to DVI adapter.

The green plug is for your built in speakers. Maybe a mic but they are usually pink or red.

The reason the plug is different is because your monitor uses a 15-pin VGA connection, this uses an Analog signal. The plugs on your video card are DVI connectors, these use a Digital signal.
April 3, 2008 5:14:31 PM

alternatively to the little adapter, you can buy a cable with 1 end DVI and the other end VGA, the quality is no different, but you end up with a full cable instead, depending if the monitor cable is removable from the monitor
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2008 5:24:01 PM

Quote:
Why are people soooo clueless. Maybe you should have looked for the box BEFORE posting on THG. Ever hear of a thing called research? Google? Manufacturers website??
Imagine the possibilities if people used their brains.

But That's what Forums are for. You don't have to search, you post a question and Forum Rats flock to it and answer.
April 3, 2008 5:25:01 PM

Quote:
Why are people soooo clueless. Maybe you should have looked for the box BEFORE posting on THG. Ever hear of a thing called research? Google? Manufacturers website??
Imagine the possibilities if people used their brains.

Imagine the possibilities if people were prepared to be just a little more helpful, friendly and polite... :lol: 

Mind you I remember being caught out when we moved from 9 pin to 15 pin plugs a few years ago :lol:  Of course that was before google, before internet explorer and before the "web" really took off
April 3, 2008 5:31:20 PM

dtq said:
Imagine the possibilities if people were prepared to be just a little more helpful, friendly and polite... :lol: 

Mind you I remember being caught out when we moved from 9 pin to 15 pin plugs a few years ago :lol:  Of course that was before google, before internet explorer and before the "web" really took off

RS232, ha! I found a ISA card with a 9-pin serial connection in the "bone yard" at work. I restrained from laughing.
April 3, 2008 5:37:46 PM

KyleSTL said:
RS232, ha! I found a ISA card with a 9-pin serial connection in the "bone yard" at work. I restrained from laughing.

It was the same sort of D-sub 9 pin connector I think the PC end was opposite gender to the rs232 serial port (from memory but it was a long time ago), but the data wasnt RS232 protocol and the wiring wasnt RS232 wiring (sadly back then I could make up a serial cable 9-25 pin etc from memory :lol:  )
April 3, 2008 5:39:27 PM

Whats possibly worse than that is that at the time I was fluent in VT terminal commands as well...
!