Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
i just got myself a new rig

core2duo e4500
intel DG31PR'
2 gig ram
nvidia xfx 8600gt 512
160x2 SATA hdd

im using vista ultimate with dreamscene and when i multi task it with some apps, the cpu usage shoots up to 70=90%. since the cpu is new, my local dealer (india) is willing to exchange it for a q6600 for the price difference.

is it worth the extra money? or should i just use the e4500 and upgrade to the quad later. i want my pc to last for 2-3 years and i do some casual multi tasking and gaming.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

If you multitask heavily, and from that cpu usage, it looks like you do, then q6600 is definately worth the price difference. Btw, what are they charging for it? You know, what exactly is this price difference?

Also consider getting more than 2gb of ram. It matters for multitasking.

8600 is a pretty bad card, but should do fine for casual gaming.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd say it would be worth it (if you paid $110-120 Edit: US dollar wise). But I would also recommend getting a 3rd party HSF and not use the stock HSF for the Q6600.

Gets pretty warm in India doesn't it?

And I agree with dagger, vista likes to use up ram from what I've read, but then again the 32bit vista only will see up to 3gb if I remember correctly. The 64bit would see allot more.

What's the price difference? (USD would be preferable)

If you want it to last 2-3 years, I would say you're probably going to need to upgrade, and since they're offering it to you at the price difference, sounds like an alright deal!

kookitan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
the ram and the graphics seem fine. ram never goes above 40%. my multi tasking isnt really great, but cpu usage goes up. the q6600 is a little out of my budget, but i dont mind squeezing the extra money if its worth it. ill prob use the stock cooler cuz im not gonna overclock anything. it does get quite hot here, but i have an airconditioner in my room :D

If the current proc is sufficient you could always hold out. You could keep an eye on the fastest processor that is compatible with your motherboard and watch prices fall and then snag it for dirt cheap a year from now and do an upgrade.

When I first bought my motherboard I put a single-core Athlon 64 proc in there. When I went to upgrade I bought a nearly obscelete and very well priced dual core proc for my system.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Well the real question is are you seeing a reduced performance when the cpu usage is at 70-90%? Does the computer lag? If yes, then consider upgrading. If no, then really no need. Also, vista will run processes in the background such as disk defrag. etc which will use the cpu. However, I believe it only uses idle cpu power and shouldn't slow the system down.

kookitan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
well actually the computer does not lag when i do these tasks. but the fact that the comp would be with me for 2-3 years...i thought i would change the cpu. the price diff which i have to pay is about $110 USD.
if i do change it in about 2-3 months, it would cost me more cuz i have to sell the proc at second hand.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
It looks like you have a low budget rig on your hands. The upgrade to the Q6600 will definatly be worth it in the long run, especially if you can just pay the difference now. For the price, I would say it is worth it. The e4500 is decent, but the Q6600 will give you a multi-tasking boost, especially in Vista.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Or you could turn off Dreamscene altogether - what exactly is the point of animated wallpaper if you're just going to cover it up when you actually use your computer?

But I'd go Q660 if you can as it's a more futureproof investment.