Quick question about malfunctioning PSUs.

natastna2

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
OK, my computer has recently stopped working and to figure out what's gone wrong with it, I could really do with an answer to this question : Is it possible for a PSU to malfunction in such a way that it can power 5 fans with no problems but cannot power a motherboard at all? I don't get any motherboard beeps, no signal from video card and I'm trying to figure out whether it could be the PSU that's gone wrong and whether it has taken my mobo with it. Thanks a lot guys. Ant.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
It can happen and has happened to myself a few time in the past 20 years (even longer with 2-way radio).

Connect a new/known good PSU and see if the system starts up.

When the PSU goes and takes the MB with it -if- you can locate a circut printout and photo parts location manual...trace the power in from the connector and check for protection diodes or a bad cap.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
natastna2 you should give spec's on the pc you are talking about.if you think the psu is bad you could buy a power supply tester for about $15.00.sense we don't know what power supply you have all would just be guessing.to answer 5 fan working but no motherboard error beep or boot up.it could be a number of things.post back spec's an people will help.