Until about a month ago the download was OK as was my online gaming experience. Just an occasional disconnect for a sec.
I have an Asus A7N8X MOBO with on-board network (Everest identifies it as NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter). The processor is an AMD Athlon 2100+
After the issue started I installed a new larger drive since the first drive only had about 1 gig left on it.
The new drive is formated with NTFS
O/S is Windows XP with SP3
It has about 122 Gig free.
I run a Netgear WGT624 wireless router (wireless not used).
My ISP is Comcast
My internet connection indicates I am running at 100.0 Mbps.
According to Speedtest.net
Upload is:1132 kbps
Download is: Avg - 6665 kbps, best - 10996 kbps
Latency: 5948 ms
Says I am faster than 87% of the country.
I ran the Pure security Scan and it indicated my network was "safe and secure"
I have McAfee installed and have done a few scans and they show up negative.
Right next to this computer I have a Dell laptop that is also plugged into the same router and I connect through VPN.
The laptop has no speed issues. A web page that takes 10 - 15 sec on the laptop can take 2-3 min on this computer. I often see pages take 5-8 min to load and occasionally I have to stop after 10 min or more.
I have tried to rule out everything I could; I found some articles that said the nVIDIA drivers for the on board nic are not stable. The drivers are the original motherboard drivers, with the network adapter driver being version 220.127.116.11 (according to the device manager).
Would the driver for the network adapter cause this? If so where can I find newer ones? I have looked on both the nVIDIA and Asus sites and can't find anything (although I might not be looking in the right place).
Since both computers are on the same ISP sharing the same router and the problem is happening on two different drives, I cannot think of anything else that might cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think it is your network driver or ISP or bandwidth or anything network related since your laptop works fine.
The problem must be related to different category.
I can think of one thing, your Windows Virtual Memory. You mention that you have only about 1 gig on drive C and windows is installed on it. Try changing the location of your page file to your new drive. Follow instructions here:
Just, Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I was not clear, I replaced the old drive and reinstalled everything on the new one. Once of the things I checked after I did that was the page file and it was set at initial=1536 and max=3072 with 123475MB available so I had left it at that.
While I don't think it is related to anything outside of this computer since as you said both this one and the laptop share the ISP and router. I really do not know what it is. It took approximately 8 min for the reply page to load so I could reply, sheesh.
As for the other link, there are a lot of people that really would benefit by it, lol.