Amateur needs suggestions...

Mistyglen

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
My current computer is nearly 5 years old, and although it's still functioning quite well, I think it's time to move on. It's an AMD Athlon XP 2700+. Since I've had good luck with it, I plan on sticking with AMD.

My half-brother has built many computers for family and friends, and is willing to help me with the build, but he wants me to pick out the components as a learning exercise since I'm virtually computer retarded. I've been doing a lot of reading and scanning through various sites and I think I've got at least a partial list of what I'm going to need.

The computer will be used mostly for basic functions like web surfing and word processing. It's highly unlikely I'll be using it for any strenuous gaming, but I will be doing a lot of photography applications. The most important factor to me is reliability. My current computer was never upgraded in 5 years, and aside from replacing the power supply (twice), it's been very good. So I want to build something that I hopefully won't have to touch (unless I decide to).

Price is a consideration, but I'd rather pay more for a part from a reliable source than save a few dollars now.

Needless to say, I won't be doing any overclocking, or any after market tweaking.

So here's my ideas so far:

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Motherboard - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe ATX AM2 Nforce 570 SLI
- While it's highly unlikely I'll be making use of the SLI, it seems to be a well-reviewed board.

Memory - Corsair Value Select PC2-5300 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM
- I know I want 4GB of RAM, but I'm open to any suggestions about getting the best value vs. performance

Video Card - EVGA E-GEFORCE 9600GT
- It's often suggested on these forums and seems to be a decent price.

Computer Cases - Compucase 6C28B ATX Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
- There seems to thousands of virtually identical cases at a wide range of price points. Is there anything to look for specifically? I don't care about colour or see-through side panels, etc., etc.. Just functionality.

Power Supply - Corsair HX520 CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX Triple 12V 40A Continuous 24PIN ATX Modular 120MM
- Since the only problem my current computer has ever had has been (cheap) power supplies, I thought it would be best to get something a bit more robust. This seems like a popular choice.

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache
- My current drive is only 60GB and it's still 50% empty, so this is a huge jump. If I spend more on other components, I may drop it back to the 250 GB version.

DVD Writer - Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD Writer

Flash Memory - nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable Seperated Connectors
- I want an internal Flash Card reader and was surprised to find that they were so cheap. This was just the first one I found.

So this is my initial list of components. Ideas? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Edit: Forgot something - Do I need a CPU Heatsink?

akhilles

Splendid
Go with ASUS M3A for out-of-the-box Phenom compatibility. AM2 doesn't do AM2+ 100%. Some features will be missing.

Go with DDR2-800 as it's priced about the same if not lower than the 667.

Ditch the case & psu. Pick up an Antec Sonata III. It's got a quality power supply. It's VERY easy to work around. Nearly maintenance-free. Aside from the pull-down front dust filter that should be wiped clean once a month.

Use the AMD stock cooler.

The rest are good.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Are you in Canada? The only places that sold your case seemed to be Canadian sites...

The 9600GT is overkill if you're not gaming. You might want to consider going with one of the new 780G motherboards, which have the best integrated graphic solution at the moment. Should lower your costs and be sufficient for your needs.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28829&vpn=GA%2DMA78GM%2DS2H&manufacture=Gigabyte

If you want a modular PSU, the 520HX you picked should be perfect for you. However, your system won't be too power hungry and you could stand to drop to a 450VX if you don't mind nonmodular cabling. Alternatively, the Antec Sonata III as recommended earlier is a good case/PSU combo to consider. NCIX has some combo deals if you buy it which can help lower your costs more:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24294&vpn=SONATA%20III%20500&manufacture=ANTEC

Mistyglen

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Yes, I'm in Ontario.

I'd like to have a decent video card as a "just-in-case" measure, because I plan to keep the computer for a while, and who knows what I may end up doing with it. So I probably won't go with the integrated option.

The case/PSU combo looks like a good idea though.

And the AMD stock cooler will be sufficient? Are CPU heatsinks mostly required for overclocking?

Thanks for the tips. I'll put together a new parts list and ask for more opinions later.

Mistyglen

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008

akhilles

Splendid
You're not overclocking AMD, then you can pick up the M3A which isn't a great overclocker, but an ok board for everything else. If you like quality, go with Gigabyte 770 or even better 780G. You don't need or won't ever make full use of the 790FX which is the best overclocker for Phenoms and some AM2 chips.