quick fire heatsink recommendations (meaning ASAP!!) :)

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have an EX38-DS4 motherboard and an E2160 which I will upgrade within the next 6-8 months...

I need a heatsink that will be very good to overclock this processor with, and one that will work with a future quadcore upgrade (Q9450?)

anyway, if someone has this motherboard, please tell me what HSF you're using!!! I built a similar system for my friend with the arctic freezer 7 pro, and it BARELY fit... The fan feels a bit loose too.

I don't mind buying it, but I want something that will fit more properly, and possibly have downdraft instead of on the side...

PLEASE give me some recommendations.

I was thinking: cooler master Hyper TX2... i dont know if it will fit my board though :(

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
AC Freezer 7 Pro, barely fits: likely, Loose...shouldn't be.
If the Freezer 7 is loose it did not get mounted properly. I had to remove my motherboard from the case to get it mounted securely, and it required more force than the stock 2160 cooler to get secure. Yes i have an E3110 but it replaced a 2160. Arctic Silver 5 does wonders for temps.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
no the heatsink itself is not loose, and is mounted perfectly... unfortunately the northbridge heatsink touches the fan on the arctic freezer, making it a bit "crooked" and therefore slightly loose... it's not a significant problem by any means, but still... I would rather get something that fits more comfortably.

I can try to remount the cooler in different positions, but then the fan will blow air where I don't want it to.

Any other cooler recommendations?

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I have the Xigmatek S1283 in my brand new machine. Check it's size if you have a small case. Fit perfectly in my Antec P182. Though it comes standard with the plastic push mounts, they also have the bolt-thru kit with back mounting plate, which I would strongly recommend. May want to order it by phone to make sure of the correct mount. Thermaltake makes the same bolt-thru kit, if needed, for around $6.00 +/_.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
+1 for the 1283

Also, the S963 by Xigmatek is a good choice.
On the cheap? The Hyper TX2 can still offer better-than-stock cooling (but it's barely less expensive than the Xigmatek units - which perform much better). Scythe is also a good choice, and they come with awesome fans, albeit at a premium over the Xigmateks.

Honestly, Thermalright makes the best mounting, if you're concerned about that.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
hmm based on your votes and the link shadow provided I think I'm jumpin on the xigmatek also... only thing is I'm not sure if it will fit... I'll have to bust out a ruler and measure my clearance...

those of you that have it:

is it really wide as well as tall? I just want to make sure it wont be a problem as far as installing RAM, and touching the NB heatsink!

I have a cooler master CM690 case by the way... if you know any details about fitting the heatsink into my case let me know!!

Thank you all very much, I'll probably order it tonight it's 36.99 with free shipping on newegg.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
ok I compared dimensions to newegg's P182SE case and mine:

P182SE: 21.3 X 8.1 X 19.9

my case: 20.7 X 8.4 X 19

so mine is smaller by a half inch in height, and one inch in depth... but the width is slightly larger. anyone see a possible problem with installing the xigmatek??? its 160mm I think... Not sure how motherboard tray, motherboard, plus mounting distance will affect the overall height so I don't really now how to measure...

on a side note, the smaller model HDT 963 is on sale at newegg for 14.99 after rebates... after shipping it will be 21.99 vs the 36.99 for the 120mm version...

what do you think? Is it worth the extra 15 bucks? I don't mind buying either, but if temps are gonna be fairly similar, and they're both very quiet... then i guess i can cheap out...

Shocking

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008

I bought this off a recommendation here. Very good reviews on newegg... kind of like a hidden gem.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
oops sorry zpyrd got yours too late, i just ordered the 36.99 version of the xigmatek (S1283)... if it doesnt work out for me, I'll RMA and come back to this thread.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!

nussrods

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
You will love the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, keeps my e-6750@3.4g under 42c playing Crysis with an Evga 8800 GTX. I had to turn it 90 degrees to clear the northbridge fan on an evga 680i mobo, actually with the Antec 900 it is no big deal. Go for it.....

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
wow thanks for the thermal application guide... I always just put thermal glue directly on the cpu, and then spread it out with a blade (or other thin surface)...

guess I'll use the "two lines" method described for my new HSF.