What is the Registry Key that is changed after you change the "Change System Tim

Hello, I would like to know what the registry key is that is changed after you change the policy for "Change the system time". Please just answer the question, don't ask me a bunch of nothing questions just so you can say you posted something. Why cause I need to know, System Windows XP.
12 answers Last reply
More about what registry changed change change system
  1. Thanks, ijack. That was part of it and it worked great. Now I need to know the one to block time and date from being updated too. Can you help with that one.
  2. Well, I would guess that you just need to set the appropriate "deny" permissions on these keys for the users that you want to prevent.
  3. you are correct, it just seems that when I deny permissions to the timezone key, it correctly blocks changes to the time zone, however it does not block the time and date from being changed. I am assuming that this means another key exists that allows time and date to be changed and I need to do the same to that key. I just don't know what that key is. To prove my theory I denied access to the entire TimeZoneInformation key. I was still able to change the time and date just not the TimeZone. Do you know what key I should use to block the time and date...

Thanks ahead of time. This is important to us...
  4. Help Please....?
  5. nhooker said:
    Help Please....?

ijack's suggestion might work for you if you first stop M$ from automatically checking the time with a server by removing the tick under the Internet Time tab.
  6. Also, don't forget to disable the Windows Time service.
  7. Here is the thing, the only thing I want changing the time is the server. I don't want users to be able to go and change the time, just the time server.
  8. nhooker said:
    Here is the thing, the only thing I want changing the time is the server. I don't want users to be able to go and change the time, just the time server.

Well you've beaten me - all I can suggest is taking the clock off the Taskbar and locking it. That won't stop them using the time /t commands if they can open a Command Prompt so maybe the answer lies in discipline.
  9. Under XP, only the Administrator and Power Users can change time. If it will work for you, remove regular user logons from those groups.
  10. I thank everyone, but I believe I am asking this question wrong. I want the registry key that changes when you update time. That way I can modify it. That is all. I know how to do it the other ways. I just need the registry key.
  11. nhooker said:
    I thank everyone, but I believe I am asking this question wrong. I want the registry key that changes when you update time. That way I can modify it. That is all. I know how to do it the other ways. I just need the registry key.

The registry does not get updated because someone changed the time.

I have made registry snapshots before and after changing the time, compared snapshots using a hex editor to compare and there is not change anywhere to the registry because the time was changed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Tim Registry Windows XP