Sign in with
Your question

What is the Registry Key that is changed after you change the "Change System Tim

Last response: in Windows XP
August 4, 2010 11:40:23 AM

Hello, I would like to know what the registry key is that is changed after you change the policy for "Change the system time". Please just answer the question, don't ask me a bunch of nothing questions just so you can say you posted something. Why cause I need to know, System Windows XP.
a b 8 Security
August 4, 2010 12:05:28 PM
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:14:05 PM

Thanks, ijack. That was part of it and it worked great. Now I need to know the one to block time and date from being updated too. Can you help with that one.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
August 4, 2010 2:53:12 PM

Well, I would guess that you just need to set the appropriate "deny" permissions on these keys for the users that you want to prevent.
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:39:30 PM

you are correct, it just seems that when I deny permissions to the timezone key, it correctly blocks changes to the time zone, however it does not block the time and date from being changed. I am assuming that this means another key exists that allows time and date to be changed and I need to do the same to that key. I just don't know what that key is. To prove my theory I denied access to the entire TimeZoneInformation key. I was still able to change the time and date just not the TimeZone. Do you know what key I should use to block the time and date...

Thanks ahead of time. This is important to us...
m
l
August 7, 2010 2:48:51 PM

Help Please....?
m
l
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2010 5:02:07 AM

nhooker said:
Help Please....?

ijack's suggestion might work for you if you first stop M$ from automatically checking the time with a server by removing the tick under the Internet Time tab.
m
l
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2010 5:35:26 AM

Also, don't forget to disable the Windows Time service.
m
l
August 9, 2010 2:17:27 PM

Here is the thing, the only thing I want changing the time is the server. I don't want users to be able to go and change the time, just the time server.
m
l
a b 8 Security
August 9, 2010 4:34:18 PM

nhooker said:
Here is the thing, the only thing I want changing the time is the server. I don't want users to be able to go and change the time, just the time server.

Well you've beaten me - all I can suggest is taking the clock off the Taskbar and locking it. That won't stop them using the time /t commands if they can open a Command Prompt so maybe the answer lies in discipline.

m
l
a b 8 Security
August 9, 2010 6:22:40 PM

Under XP, only the Administrator and Power Users can change time. If it will work for you, remove regular user logons from those groups.
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:02:37 PM

I thank everyone, but I believe I am asking this question wrong. I want the registry key that changes when you update time. That way I can modify it. That is all. I know how to do it the other ways. I just need the registry key.
m
l
a b 8 Security
August 10, 2010 4:49:32 PM

nhooker said:
I thank everyone, but I believe I am asking this question wrong. I want the registry key that changes when you update time. That way I can modify it. That is all. I know how to do it the other ways. I just need the registry key.

The registry does not get updated because someone changed the time.

I have made registry snapshots before and after changing the time, compared snapshots using a hex editor to compare and there is not change anywhere to the registry because the time was changed.
m
l
!