KVM switch for wireless keyboard and mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I am looking for a KVM switch which will work with a wireless keyboard and a wireless trackball. I looked through many of the product descriptions on Newegg but none stipulate if it will work with a wireless set-up.

I don't really need the monitor connection, as I have two monitors anyways. Just looking for a switch (preferably one that allows hot switching via a keyboard command) so I only have one keyboard and mouse that can be used on two computers.

Any / all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

johnmsch

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
Just to complete the thread, I purchased the two PC version of the IOGEAR KVM. I am only using this unit to switch the keyboard and mouse (already have two monitors). I could not get the unit to work with a new Logitech wireless keyboard but it works great with an older wireless keyboard and wireless trackball. Newegg had this on sale. Best $20 I ever spent. Thanks to johnmsch for the recommendation!

johnmsch

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
My pleasure. I've been recommending that KVM for a while, and everyone seems very satisfied with the price/performance point. I still can't believe how cheap these things are, considering that you could spend a couple of hundred on a KVM.

Don't know why this didn't work with the new Logitech kb & mouse. My combo is about 5 years old. No doubt the technology has changed in that time. Did you check the IOGear and/or Logitech message boards or Knowledge bases? I'm wondering if others have run into this.

myronsilver

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
My recent experience with Iogear is not impressive. They told me to get a GSC-632U which is entirely incompatible with the single receiver which comes with my Logitech Wave Keyboard / Mouse combo, even after I patiently explained my equipment. Truly incompetent.

bugmeso

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
johnmsch

Which Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse? If you are still using them!

myronsilver
Have you successfully come up with a solution yet?

I am on the same quest....for the Holy Wireless keyboard/mouse that works successfully with a KVM. Preferably a 2-port

PeterB43

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

I have an Logitek MX-3200 keyboard and mouse. I bought a Trendnet TK-209 KVM switch with sound and have been using it for about 8 months without any problems. I plugged the Logitek USB mini receiver into the mouse USB port on the TK-209 and it runs both the KB & mouse. It's best to install the CD on both PC's first. Connect the cables and sound. Then shut down both PC's, install the mini receiver and restart your PC's. You can set up a keyboard short cut to switch the PC's. I use the button on the TK unit. Hope this is helpful. Pete

nervebag

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
I've been using a Logitech MX700 for years (it came as a Duo with a wireless keyboard that I no longer have). I've used it with two different Belkin and one Iogear KVM over the years, and it's worked perfectly fine with all three. It has a charging cradle that ends in a USB connection, BUT... there's an AC wall wart that plugs DIRECTLY INTO THE USB DONGLE. I believe that external power is the key. The mouse works wonderfully, but it's years old. I've tried to upgrade a couple of times, but so many of the new mice just have the "flash-drive" type USB receiver, and they just don't work. I'm stuck with an older wireless mouse, but at least it works with my KVM.

AVX

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I recently was struggling to deal with this issue as well. The first wireless keyboard/mouse combo I had that I tried to use with a KVM switch was a Logitech MX 3200 Cordless Desktop Laser. It worked perfectly fine with an IOGEAR 2 port MiniView Micro USB PLUS KVM switch (Model No. GCS632U). I simply plugged the receiver into the USB keyboard port on the switch and everything worked perfectly. Logitech's SetPoint software also worked flawlessly with this setup.

After my positive experience with IOGEAR's 2 port KVM switch, I upgraded to their Extreme MiniView 4 Port KVMP switch (Model No. GCS1734). Once again, I plugged the Logitech MX 3200 receiver into the keyboard port of the switch. The results were less than optimal. While the switch was able to detect it from the frontside keyboard port, it took a good 10 seconds to switch between computers as the keyboard and mouse were treated as separate USB devices that had to be disconnected and reconnected upon port switching. This was also true if I connected the receiver to either of the 2 secondary USB ports on the backside of the switch. The only advantage to plugging the receiver into the frontside keyboard port was that it allowed the switch to recognize keyboard port-switching commands.

Later on, my MX 3200 failed and Logitech replaced it for me free (it was still under warranty but had been discontinued). They sent me a Logitech Wireless Desktop MK710. The key part of this is the new Unifying receiver that Logitech features. When I plugged this into the frontside keyboard port of the IOGEAR 4 port KVMP switch, the Logitech MK710 was not recognized at all. Plugging the unifying receiver into the mouse port, that didn't help either. The only way for the MK710 to be detected was if I plugged it into the back of the switch in one of the secondary USB ports. This again subjected me to the hassle of a 10-15 second delay when switching ports as the keyboard and mouse were disconnected and reconnected.

I called up IOGEAR for assistance and explained the troubleshooting measures I had taken and they simply told me it meant their 4 port KVMP switch was incompatible with the Logitech MK710. Total bummer.

So now I'm stuck using a wired keyboard and mouse with that 4 port switch. If anyone knows of a good 4 port KVM switch that works with Logitech's MK710 and/or their unifying receiver, let me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.