Need help finding a new mobo

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Well my hardware is dated, using a p4 3.2ghz, 6800gt & ddr500 ram & Asus p4p800se. no upgrades for my platform available for me. so i need to start fresh.

Basically i'm willing to dish out ~200 for a good MOBO that will last me awhile, I.E. support for new features like pCI-E 2.0 & DDR3 is a priority. so i can upgrade prehiprials instead of boards.
Not sure if thats a good idea, maybe better to get a cheap 60 buck board and upgrade when necessary to another 60 buck board.

Havent been able to find something sub 200 with support for DD3 & 1+ PCI-E 2.0 16x slots

Dont care about RAID support other than 0 or 1. even that is not necessary, but a plus

Gigabit Ethernet is a must. 2x is even better.

Fully overclockable BIOS is a must. got watercooling system in current setup with a 3x120mm fan radiator.

Any input? Suggestions? I will be purchasing MOBO, CPU, RAM & GPU, budget~600. if you feel like tossing in other part suggestions.

Imo, there is no point in getting a DDR3 board since Nehalm is just around the corner.

I recommend you get a good P35 (ie P35-DS3x or P5K) or a good X38 board (ie ASUS Formula,etc)

PCIe 2.0 is also just marketing right now as no card currently comes close to using full PCIe 1.1 bandwidth.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^Nehalem's release is at least 7 months away. Entry price will likely be far above mainstream so add another 6 months for availability to us mere mortals.

I agree with Shadow703793 about the rest.
DDR3 offers poor value and very small benefits over DDR2 at this time.
The benefit of PCIE 2.0 over the next 2 years is also questionable at least for single graphics card systems.

A P35 board could save you the money to buy a better GPU. Say 8800GTS(G92) or the like.

Or you could wait untli early June and get a P45 (will have all your desired features).

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Looks nice.
I would have gone for an GA-EP35-DS3L (I think it's cheaper) but it's still an unsafe bet with the overclocking and DES issues reported.