Sign in with
Your question

FarCry 2 or Crysis?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2008 11:16:28 PM

Which game do you think will be more playable by the supposed release of farcry 2, which is fall of 2008. What graphics cards are we going to need to play them...three 9800 gx2's four 9800gtx's???

More about : farcry crysis

April 3, 2008 11:25:05 PM

Farcry 2 is made by ubisoft not crytek.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 11:40:32 PM

^Agreed.
Related resources
April 3, 2008 11:53:16 PM

marvelous211 said:
Farcry 2 is made by ubisoft not crytek.

So what does that mean for graphics or hardware requirements? Better or worse?
April 3, 2008 11:57:12 PM

Worse graphics, bigger hardware needed to run it. We're not talking about a reputable publisher here, we're talking about Ubisoft, so expect the worst.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 11:58:41 PM

Crytek are the ones that pushed the beauty limit in farcry and in crysis. I suspect farcry 2 will not push hardware quite as much, but I hope I am wrong. I actually like having games that go beyond what current hardware can do. People complain about crysis, but Farcry and Oblivion did the same to some degree. I say bring it on Ubi; make our jaws drop.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2008 11:59:55 PM

emp said:
Worse graphics, bigger hardware needed to run it. We're not talking about a reputable publisher here, we're talking about Ubisoft, so expect the worst.

Yeah, that's a scary possibility.
April 4, 2008 12:10:44 AM

Mehehehe... possibility? More like a reality... As much as I liked Far Cry, I am already prepared for the worst, so I won't be disappointed when it comes out.
April 4, 2008 12:52:46 AM

"Farcry 2 is made by ubisoft not crytek." ....When did I ever say anything about that?

Anyway, back to the topic.

I was reading that farcry will be based in Africa, which hopefully means there is no water or alien spacecraft around. The water and the aliens always seemed to give me the most trouble.
April 4, 2008 11:50:13 AM

dude have u not seen the videos yet? check youtube for some gameplay footage from the developer. Looks sweet I say, pitty we have to wait 8 more months for it.
April 4, 2008 12:18:07 PM

Quote:
Farcry 2 or Crysis?

Gears of War 2 and Alan Wake!! :p 
April 4, 2008 12:26:48 PM

ryanthesav said:
"Farcry 2 is made by ubisoft not crytek." ....When did I ever say anything about that?

Anyway, back to the topic.

I was reading that farcry will be based in Africa, which hopefully means there is no water or alien spacecraft around. The water and the aliens always seemed to give me the most trouble.

It's not going to be a system killer if it's coming from ubisoft subdivision who made 007 series.
April 4, 2008 12:39:16 PM

Desert vs Tropical Jungle.

1 tree vs 100 trees.

Just way more to look at in Crysis.

It's also going on the consoles.. so it can't be that hard.
April 4, 2008 1:57:50 PM

far cry use different engine called "dunia" engine which means world.
don't know whether this engine is better than crytek or not
April 4, 2008 2:21:10 PM

Who cares about those two, Starcraft II and Fallout 3 are coming :) 
April 4, 2008 4:29:36 PM

stemnin said:

1 tree vs 100 trees.

So it'll run badly on PC because of console optimization? Bad graphics + bad requirements, got it. :na: 
April 4, 2008 4:46:20 PM

dagger said:
So it'll run badly on PC because of console optimization? Bad graphics + bad requirements, got it. :na: 

Usually...

ImajorI said:
Who cares about those two, Starcraft II and Fallout 3 are coming :) 

Looking forward to those (even though I never like fallout, I did try to play them all..) And Crysis sequel won't be out till late next year anyway. Screw FC2 lol.. never really liked Ubisoft games, except for far cry.
April 4, 2008 5:34:20 PM

emp said:

I've bought a few games in the past from Ubisoft. Great visuals, but buggy, slow, unrealistic. I mean, in Silent Hunter 3, it could take 4 torpedoes to sink a PT boat, and up to 7 to sink a small freighter. I've read enough accounts from real u-boat action to know that one torpedo was usually enough to sink a freighter, never mind a flimsy PT boat. And then there were the times when you got sunk the moment a mission started, before leaving port or anything. Like you say, its Ubisoft, so expect the worst. I've learned my lessons and won't repeat the mistake.
April 4, 2008 5:53:04 PM

stemnin said:

1 tree vs 100 trees.

Yeah that is the give away that it is going to be on par with Halo2 graphics wise.
April 4, 2008 5:55:00 PM

SpinachEater said:
Yeah that is the give away that it is going to be on par with Halo2 graphics wise.

That's pretty harsh
April 4, 2008 6:09:21 PM

Appearantly you guys haven't checked out any trailers for the game. It has some pretty impressive technology. The world also progresses like it should. There is day and night cycle, which seems pretty cool, and the graphics look nice as well. I like the locale of the game, much more original than anything I've played in a while. Seriously, how many games take place in the African bush?

That being said, it still might be a terrible game, and no telling how it will run.
April 4, 2008 7:06:13 PM

turboflame said:
That's pretty harsh

Haha, I didn't mean it to be bad. It is just that Ubisoft will probably kick out a game that everyone can play rather than having Crysis-like system requirements. Halo2 just came to mind as a good example. [:mousemonkey:3] <- actually, it is Friday and that is what I will be doing in a few short hours! Happy Friday!!!

San Pedro said:
Seriously, how many games take place in the African bush?

Any game that takes place in the bush is a winner in my book! :whistle: 
April 4, 2008 9:32:35 PM

San Pedro said:
how many games take place in the African bush?
:love:  :whistle:  :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2008 9:40:31 PM

MMM, Ive "been" everywhere else, sounds enteresting
April 4, 2008 9:48:59 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
MMM, Ive "been" everywhere else, sounds enteresting

Yes, and if a crocodile eats you on the computer, it doesn't hurt quite so bad. :kaola: 
April 5, 2008 12:48:45 AM

emp said:

Very likely to be a poor game.
April 5, 2008 12:59:58 AM

The teaser videos are really impressive, but I didn't know about Ubisoft's crummy rep. I'd love to see a game with a more efficient use of the Crysis engine from someone someday.
April 5, 2008 2:20:24 AM

This is like having to select between eating feces or drinking urine.

I'll take "none of the above" for 1000 alex!
April 5, 2008 2:25:42 AM

Far Cry 2 is going to use the Crytek Engine. It should turn out to be more optimized (I'm hoping).

Btw there is no 9800 GX2 tri sli or 9800 GTX quad. (i'll assume it was sarcasm?)

Far Cry 2 looks like it will be eye candy to us :)  Considering Far Cry was a revolution in Gaming graphics, introducing Jungle environments and Hugh maps.
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2008 2:52:14 AM

L1qu1d said:
Far Cry 2 is going to use the Crytek Engine. It should turn out to be more optimized (I'm hoping).

Btw there is no 9800 GX2 tri sli or 9800 GTX quad. (i'll assume it was sarcasm?)

Far Cry 2 looks like it will be eye candy to us :)  Considering Far Cry was a revolution in Gaming graphics, introducing Jungle environments and Hugh maps.

NO! The Dunia engine is made in-house by Ubisoft's Montreal team. It is not at all related to CryEngine or CryEngine2, and was made specifically for this game.

The most important factor concerning performance and visuals: Is this game being ported to consoles, or ported to the PC?
April 5, 2008 2:56:18 AM

from what I heard it was coming to console first. I ight be wrong though. oh an your right about the engine, when i read about it, it was in Oct lol so I guess I'm out of date.

Either way, from what I heard, gaming companies are trying to steer clear of PC gaming due to high piracy. Well not steer CLEAR but they are starting to doubt a future, and that scares me because, yes I have a ps3 but I wouldn't think twice between which I would choose my pc of my ps3.

but in all fairness, They should stop Xbox 360 gamaing:)  lol :p  Xbox didn't take long to modify:D 
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2008 2:58:35 AM

I think they should stop building lounge/living rooms. That way there won't be a spot for consoles to go.

EDIT: Typo
April 5, 2008 3:47:02 AM

Why do the trees grow back in 10 seconds? Is that part of the story or something? Mutant trees? I do like the potential to be an open range type of game. It doesn't sound like it will gauntlet shooter like COD.
April 5, 2008 3:59:51 AM

I think the trees growing back are just a Tech demo. I doubt they grow back in 10, and if they do, its probably to keep the scenario the same so the player doesn't change the zone too much...I dunno some bs like that.
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2008 4:06:29 AM

Um, those videos are in time lapse.
April 5, 2008 4:08:52 AM

I am excited to see how the interactivity works out with this game. The graphics may not be anything to write home about but if the game play is good then hazzah to them.

randomizer said:
Um, those videos are in time lapse.

Are they? Haha, I was thinking the trees grow back after you shoot them up.
!