Any affordable SATA II RAID 0 controller?

jincuteguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
Hi guys, Im looking for a good and affordable RAID 0 SATA II controller. Price range is about US$70. I have two WD Cavier Black 500g drives and I want to put them in RAID 0. Im using Vista 64bit. If anyone can suggest a good controller, really appreciated it.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
if your motherboard supports raid0 already, you don't need to buy an extra controller. The most common integrated controllers are ICHR9/10 nowadays. Performance-wise, you won't see a difference for only two drives.

sub mesa

Distinguished
ICH9 / ICH10 do not offer RAID functionality, you need the ICH9R / ICH10R chips for that. Intel is the only one who differentiates between this functionality. All other chipsets natively offer Onboard RAID functionality. You will need to enable it in the system BIOS by setting the SATA mode to "RAID" instead of "AHCI" or "IDE".

Never buy a PCI controller, that's a waste of your money and will be slower than a single disk in realistic scenarios.

jincuteguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
Yea I know, my board doens't have RAID support, that's why I want to get a controller. So you're saying those $70 price range aren't bettter than those on board RAID such as those with ICH9R or 10R chipset?

sub mesa

Distinguished
They should be around $20 and i wouldn't spend $70 on them since this is the price of a new motherboard with 6 onboard SATA. But generally you should not use the RAID drivers that come with either Silicon Image, Promise FastTrak and JMicron (JMB363). Although these are fine SATA controllers, the RAID drivers adding RAID functionality to these SATA controllers are of bad quality. Performance and reliability might be affected.

Intel RAID drivers are on top when comparing features, performance and reliability. Intel onboard RAID might be especially suitable to RAID0 setups because they offer optional write buffering support which uses your RAM as write-back buffer just like expensive hardware RAID controllers do with their onboard RAM. This is dangerous (crash or power issue can corrupt your filesystem) but if performance is of primary concern and you have proper backups this would be the prefered choice. Second choice would be using software RAID instead, but you cannot boot from a software RAID0 array. If you need to boot from it, you have to compromise.

If you care about reliability and have no good backup and no money to spend on this, you would be better off not using RAID at all IMO.

speedbump49

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
sub mesa, Got you on the raid 0 software issues, I'm using the board as a JBOD controller with descrite ports. My mobo has 4 ports, and the silicon graphics cards adds 4 more internal ports. I'm using them in a WHS setup with 8 removable disk trays. I also use a docking station for simple backups I can take off-site. My next build with use a 6 port mobo, so I can bios raid 0 the boot disk and let WHS manage the rest. Cheers.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Nope. And not all intel-based chipset motherboards can do RAID either, since you need a ICHxR chipset, the "R" signifying RAID-support.

The problem quickly disappears when using any non-windows solution with software RAID, but if that is no option for you the Intel RAID engine probably offers superior performance.