Coolant alternative

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Guys.
In Singapore, ThermalTake coolant is about $50 / 500ml !
So, I'm looking for an alternative. Perhaps distilled water, car radiator fluid?
I don't need the best performing cooling. However, I am concerned with internal corristion/build-up. I think pure water and beer will also corrode.
I'm just looking of something I can use long-term. I think it needs to be water-based and gentle enough.
Ok thanks!

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the suggestion.
Is the water wetting you're talking about the "Redline Water Wetter" ?
I also found Swiftech Hydrx searching- is that the dye you're talking about?
Where is a good place to buy de-ionised water? (what type of store?)
sorry for all the questions. I really want to get this to work...

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I also found distilled water to work while searching onine.
However, I'm still looking for a good anti-corrosion additive. I can find Water Wetter in some auto-stores, but they contain a little oil as well. This can build up over the months.
Also looking for a dye that can kill alge and is UV reactive. I know this can be found easily in the States, but in Singapore, I need to find something else, like food dye or something.
Again, thanks. Any info helps..

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Use 50% distilled water and 50% Pentosin Antifreeze. The best antifreezes (by reading real WC forums) Is Volkswagon or Toyota antifreeze. Dealer only purchase I think.

You HAVE to use a 50% solution since you have a TT WC kit. Or funny growth will happen, blocks will corrode etc. Full on WC kits don't use dissimilar metals and don't need anti-corrision inhibitors.

Please, no dye, mixing things can make odd things happen. The antifreezes I mentioned, one is red, one is blue.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

Can the suggested "Asetek WaterChill Fluid w/Water Wetter " be used for long-term without a film build-up? Can be shipped international (outside Europe/USA)?
I guess this can or must be used with distilled water.
I'm also still looking at the anti-freeze solution. (I think my TT WC kit only uses Vinyl tubing and a copper water-block.
Thanks guys!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Look at your rad and parts very closely. I do believe it's a alum rad. Meaning read up on what parts and materials are really in there. TT stuff is well knopwn for alum/copper, bad mojo, thus the need for anti corossion in large quantities.

And richardscott - I see your really on top of the WC world, well informed. Glad to have your gibberish here too!

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I don't need antireeze because I'm afraid of the water freezoing. I just wanted it for the anti-corrosion.
Now I'm just trying to get as much info as possible and exploring all options. I will want to change the water every 6 months or so like you suggest, this seems obvious enough.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

Why you say this? I'm very happy I got you optinions and help. It seems likely I will use your suggestion and use the distilled water.
I'm just trying to get as much info as possible since it's hard to get coolant ingredients here.

TRENDING THREADS