Random Restarts: How do you test the PSU?

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Hi guys, need some help with trying to figure out how to dianose my random restarts. I recently had a motherboard die on me...it was freezing a lot. eventually it would not turn on anymore and so I had it RMA'd and I got another board. I installed XP Pro and everything seems to be running ok but every now and then it would restart. I have been doing some reading here but I do not know how to test my PSU if it is faulty. For the memory I can run Memtest but ppl say sometimes bad RAM can pass Memtest.

I wanted to see if it is my PSU but I do not know how to monitor it. Is there anything I can do to monitor voltages that it outputs? I just turned off automatically restart to see if windows will give me some kind of error. If you guys can help me out I would be grateful.

Setup:
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
8800gt
2gb corsair ram
150gb raptor
winxp pro sp2c

so far the measures I can take is

1. removing and reseating the RAM
2. move RAM to different slots
3. run memtest

Will wait for another random restart before I start the above procedure as I have just turned off auto restart.

Man i can't wait for the day when the computer can diagnose itself and give you a specific reason rather than giving u baffling errors and you having to sift through debugging results when you get BSOD. so dam frustrating.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Start here to determine if you have the appropriate power supply for your system and take aging into account: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243648-28-power-supply. Follow the links to the appropriate section for power supply selection.

SpeedFan, SuperStep, and your bios all have voltage information but SpeedFan allows you to graph voltage over time so you can check for stability. You should run tasks to stress your power supply to determine if it can maintain constant and in-spec voltages.

You didn't mention your power supply or CPU specs so no one can help you out until that data is available.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The best way to monitor a PSU is to put your computer through a load test and have a voltmeter in the power supply on a spare molex line and see if it stays at +12v. To hook up a voltmeter/multimeter this way hook the red lead on the multimeter to the yellow wire on a spare molex and the black lead on the multimeter to a black wire on the same spare molex.

Digital ones are better then analog for this, and just look to see if the voltage stays between 11.4 and 12.6 volts as that is the ATX specification for +12v lines. If you +12v line is fine your PSU is most likely fine.

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
thanks for the response.

sorry about not adding the other specs

I have a ultra x-finity 600w PSU and according to its specs, meets the requirements of the video card that I have.
I also have a amd am2 6400+ chip.

I will download speedfan and test it out. I have used it before and I guess that I can tinker around with it and get it to record my levels during load and non-load times.

gravemind123 thanks for your response but I have no clue about voltmeters etc. Also, the PSU that I have has all translucent wire casing so there is no yellw :(. I might have to ask an electrician to look at this thing but possibly would need one who has computer experience.

I am also thinking of buying this little product which looks great:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647108

Thanks again. will let you know how it goes.

The Ultra PSUs sometimes don't supply as much as rated. My X2 550W couldn't quite handle my OC'ed FX-60 as well as my 2900XT, so I bought a GPU PSU and now everything is great. For your case, though, you shouldn't be using as many watts as me (I'm over 400W for the entire system (monitors, speakers, tower)) but I had the same symptoms.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Beware of software voltage monitoring can be inaccurate, so just because speedfan tells you something don't instantly jump to conclusions, the PSU tester will at least tell you if something massive is wrong with your PSU.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I fully agree that a multimeter is a more accurate but we're looking for indicators. I'm not sure that the hand held indicator gives you anything that the software doesn't as long as you have a system that is operating and you can vary load to see if voltage remains in spec.

IMO, trying a couple different types of software will at least let you know if there is a negative indicator, and it doesn't cost you anything.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
vyder :I am also thinking of buying this little product which looks great:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] No=1647108 good ideal for ps testing.I would try it and it;s only $20.00 bucks

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
well I had speedfan log the voltages in my computer and everything seems to be ok so far even when the computer crashed. all the readings seemed stable and there was nothing too out of place according to the log. I am still thinking of ordering the product i posted however i think I will have to run memtest one stick of ram at a time. man...computer problems just never seem to leave lol.

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
ran memtest+ 2.01 today and it seems one of my ram sticks is generating errors. Going to test out the cpu today without the second stick in to see how it performs. have to start looking at new ram to buy :p.

teldar

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I have a not quite as nice version of the PSU tester and I don't think I would trade it for anything. I also have a Fluke but the PSU tester is much much easier and I have used it to diagnose bad PSU's in the past.

I would definitely go for getting a physical tester rather than just using software.

T

Looks like you might've found your problem. If you other stick works out, than you will know that the 1st stick is bad. Maybe your can RMA it, if it's still under warranty, which it should be since it's Corsair RAM. If the 2nd stick passes than you can run with it by itself and see if you have any more random reboots.