HPA from N680SLI-DQ6 BIOS Backup

CombinedEffort

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
All,

I recently flashed the BIOS on the above board (flashed to ver. F5). I booted off a floppy and ran the flash program. Before commencing the flash, I backed up the BIOS to the 'disk'. I though this would back up the BIOS to the FDD or secondary BIOS, but it created a HPA on the primary HDD and dumped the BIOS there. Unfortunately, that disk was part of a RAID 5 array and it got kicked from the array on reboot because it had 'srunk'. Fortunately, there was a hot spare, BUT this leaves me with the question:

How do I remove this HPA from the HDD?

So far I have tried booting the XpressRecovery CD and looking for the Remove / Delete option (there is none). The onboard XpressRecovery BIOS option is equally unhelpful. I have also successfully removed the HPA via Linux and hdparm and made the change 'permanent' via low level ATA calls, but the BIOS just goes ahead and recreates it on POST :fou:

Anyone have any clues?

cheers,

Rich

CombinedEffort

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Got a reply from GigaByte to the question:

"Hi, I recently flashed my BIOS and decided to backup the BIOS beforehand. Now the primary HDD has a HPA I cant get delete. How can I delete the HPA the BIOS created?"

Their response:

"Please remove the Gigabyte motherboard utility cd from the cdrom drive. If the problem perist (sic) please use a different IDE cable for hdd and cdrom drive."

I know it's only 1st line support, but something vaguely related to the problem might be expected!

Apologies if the formatting is all off - Only Quick Reply is working on the forums right now...