MBR erased. How to get it back?

Pete K

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hi everyone.
I just unplugged my two sata 500gb Samsung HD501LJ from raid 0 and split them for 2 other comps. Both hd are visible in bios. However I'm not able to install anything on it.
When I tried install win 7 rc got message " Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation . Error code 0x80070057. " Partition was 456gb size.
When I plug this HD to another PC then it is recognized by bios, but is not recognized inside windows. So I download Super Grub Disk and tried repaired the HD but get message "Error 15: File not found. Booting not lucky".
I also tried "bootrec /fixmbr" from command prompt and got action successful message, but when I triad install vista or W7 it was same.
When I previously installed RAID0 on this dicks I remember I erased MBR. It was working perfectly on RAID 0 with win vista on old install. But now they are both dead. Is there way to make it work back again? I dont have any data on it to save, just wont get some storage. I have tight budget so no new HD for me :-(( Please help if you know how. Thank you.
Michaela.

Pete K

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you all, especially to Lomax from whirlpool forum for GParted boot cd tip.
GParted worked just fine and resolved my problem.
Thank you.
Michaela.

manicmalki

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
What kinda raid where you using software or hardware. You could always try format (we are gonna use C for this) format c:/u or other approprate commands depending on the OS.

can you format them using a linux os?

That wont cost much to try since linux is free . If bios sees it then use linux to delete the partition and then format as reiser fs

Once that is done then format it again with windows and instrall

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
If these drives were previously in RAID 0 (as in your first post) you'll have to erase and re-create the partitioning, then re-format; you can just install onto them.

Pete K

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you all again and again... :) , especially to Lomax from whirlpool forum for GParted boot cd tip.
GParted resolved my problem.
Thank you all.
Michaela.